2014 Feb Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1425, Volt 1210

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes gas prices are really low right now, so I expect that EV numbers will be not very good this month.

Gas prices in my area are a couple pennies more than when I bought my LEAF 10 months ago.

In one hand I want gas prices to double but in the other my wife has a Prius C so she still buys gas :(

There is apparently a dealer in my city with three LEAFs in stock. Three times the most I have ever seen.

So, Smyrna has indeed ramped up production to nearly 3k/month?

Berlino said:
So, Smyrna has indeed ramped up production to nearly 3k/month?
Well, cars.com shows almost 4,000 LEAFs in stock. That's quite a few.

Normally manufactures aim for about a 60 day supply, so I'd expect around 2,000 LEAFs to be sold. If more than that, then they are still ramping up production or sales are still going strong.

http://insideevs.com/the-nissan-leaf-jumps-over-a-low-sales-bar-for-the-last-time-in-february-up-118/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"[Nissan] easily trumped the 653 sold in February 2013 by a fair margin with 1,425 sold this year – up 118.2%. "

Well last year besides Jan/Feb, the LEAF averaged about 2000/month. So with plenty of supply this year, it's kind of scary thinking that the next coming months will be a huge decline if the same numbers as JAN/Feb continue.

scottf200 said:
http://insideevs.com/the-nissan-leaf-jumps-over-a-low-sales-bar-for-the-last-time-in-february-up-118/

"[Nissan] easily trumped the 653 sold in February 2013 by a fair margin with 1,425 sold this year – up 118.2%. "

scottf200 said:
http://insideevs.com/the-nissan-leaf-jumps-over-a-low-sales-bar-for-the-last-time-in-february-up-118/

http://insideevs.com/winter-blues-chevrolet-sells-1210-volts-in-february-off-26/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"After posting a fairly disappointing 918 Volt sales in January – the first time sales were under 4 digits in 2 years (603 in January of 2012), the extended range Chevy bounced back a little in February notching 1,210 deliveries. Year-over-year, this February’s result was up against some fairly stiff competition as 1,626 were sold this month a year ago, meaning sales were off 25.6%."

ok now that the Feb slump is over, any predictions for the rest of the year?

I say 2700-3,000 for March along with record breaking monthly sales 3X with the rest of the year averaging over 3,000 monthly including at least one month over 4,000

Sales will continue to disappoint until Nissan does something to spur sales.
Options include:
1. Advertise how sexy it is to own a leaf. :p
2. Advertise the new hot battery is available.
3. Advertise new sales incentives.
4. etc...

DanCar said:
Options include:
4. etc...

Feb is always slow for everyone. what do you predict for the level of disappointment?

20,000? 25,000?

lets blow this monthly thing (but still post results) and got for an annual prediction!

i say 34,000. what say you?

DanCar said:
Options include:
4. etc...

5. Real 100+ mile EPA range guaranty at 5yr 60,000 miles.

Possibly $5+ national gasoline. Otherwise I no longer see much upside.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Feb is always slow for everyone. what do you predict for the level of disappointment?
Why do you think sales are slow for everyone in Feb? Reports I've read is because of winter. Winter is not a factor in L.A. and Bay Area. Perhaps some in Atlanta. So sales are slow for a different reason.

DanCar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Why do you think sales are slow for everyone in Feb? Reports I've read is because of winter. Winter is not a factor in L.A. and Bay Area. Perhaps some in Atlanta. So sales are slow for a different reason.

we could conjecture or simply look at historical sales data. it is slow for everyone and maybe its that lack of time to get er done. or more people than we realize living paycheck to paycheck juggling credit card payments and addressing randomly large balances for some unknown reason...

Meanwhile, Tesla is on a roll:

"Musk told investors Tesla would sell about 35,000 cars this year, up from a little more than 22,000 last year. By the end of this year, he expects to be selling cars at a 1,000-a-week pace. An assembly line under construction at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, Calif., will help the automaker reach that goal.

Buyers are loading up Tesla Model S sports sedans with a ton of options and are going for the biggest battery choice to make sure they have the longest range on a single charge. Elaine Kwei, an analyst at the Jefferies investment house, crunched the numbers and estimates buyers were paying an average $108,000 for the Model S. It has a starting price of about $70,000."

TomT said:
Meanwhile, Tesla is on a roll:

"Musk told investors Tesla would sell about 35,000 cars this year, up from a little more than 22,000 last year. By the end of this year, he expects to be selling cars at a 1,000-a-week pace. An assembly line under construction at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, Calif., will help the automaker reach that goal.

Buyers are loading up Tesla Model S sports sedans with a ton of options and are going for the biggest battery choice to make sure they have the longest range on a single charge. Elaine Kwei, an analyst at the Jefferies investment house, crunched the numbers and estimates buyers were paying an average $108,000 for the Model S. It has a starting price of about $70,000."

i think it was GCR stating that Tesla's sales are starting to slow down especially in CA. but then again, built up demand makes that very believeable. I still think there is many areas of the country Tesla has hardly touched though

still a runaway lead at their price point

DaveinOlyWA said:
i think it was GCR stating that Tesla's sales are starting to slow down especially in CA. but then again, built up demand makes that very believeable. ...
U.S. orders are down but worldwide orders are up. Large demand from China. Tesla continues to be supply constrained, not demand constrained.

Back