2013 SV wont charge anymore :(

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMYK4Life

This weekend I discovered that my 2013 leave SV with 20,000 miles wont charge anymore :( After nearly two years of care free driving I was bummed.

I charge at home with the L1 EVSE that came with the car. Saturday I ran errands and came home with 30%, plugged it in, and went inside. Sunday I goto leave for more errands and notice its still at 30%. I assumed either I didnt plug it in all the way or it was the outlet I plugged the EVSE into.

I checked the breakers in the house, tried a different plug, even drove the Leaf to a L2 Clipper Creek in town. In all cases when I plug any EVSE in the blue light comes on like normal, blinks for about 5 seconds, then goes black. You can hear the relays flipping on and off inside the Leaf.

I then tried unhooking the 12v battery thinking it might reset the logic or something. No dice. I hooked the 12v battery up to a charger thinking it may be low causing the problem. Again, no dice.

Monday, I drove it to my local Nissan dealer (barely made it). Come to find out... they sell the Leaf but cannot service the Leaf... Needless to say the service department was less than helpful. They handed me the phone number of a dealership 60+ miles away. I called the number several times and kept getting dumped to the service department voicemail.

I ended up calling 1-877-NO-GAS-EV and speaking with the Consumer affairs team. I spoke with a man named Bryan, he was very empathetic and helpful. He opened a case for me, told me what I needed to do, then forwarded me to the roadside assistance line... They agreed to tow the Leaf to the certified service center 60+ miles away at no charge to me and provide a rental car + fuel reimbursement at no cost to me.

Since dropping the dead Leaf off at the service center they have called me once informing me they have applied 2 software updates to the car (the airbag one and the firmware one?) and it did not resolve the problem. They questioned me about the EVSE I use and I informed them I just the L1 that comes with the car 99% of the time. I also left it in the 'trunk' of the Leaf figuring they would want to look at it. Since they clearly couldnt blame me/aftermarket EVSE they said they needed to contact the Nissan Tech Center to help diagnose whatever is going on.

The funny thing is... while I was waiting for the tow from my local dealer to the certified dealer... my local dealer tried to sell me a New Leaf... they were soooo clueless about this car... I ended up informing them on many things. I also called them out on the service thing asking them 'what value is there in me buying a Leaf from you? What are you going to do for me when the Leaf needs service!? Your service department handed me a number to a different dealer and left me on my own! I see no advantage to buying from you other than being close to me...' Needless to say... I was not interested in their offer.

I have not received and update since Tuesday. Getting kind of worried. I miss my Leaf (I call her Mosquito).

-Steve

Well, that kind of sucks. To be honest, I didn't know a dealer could sell the Leaf without being able to service it. That is sort of a surprise to me. Let us know what happens.

When the car was connected to 120V, did the blue front hood lights come on and blink? If so, your EVSE is probably good.

Can they try connecting the car to the dealer's 240V L2 EVSE? That would quickly narrow it down to car vs EVSE.

In general, I've had a similar experience with my local dealer. They don't service a lot of Leafs so any problem is probably the first time for the Leaf technician. After trying the obvious, he calls Nissan to see if anyone else has the same problem and to see if they have recommended diagnostics to try. Nissan is paying for warranty service, so it seems logical that they would guide the technician.

I also think that's better than them blindly applying random tests in hopes of stumbling onto something.

Bob

They found the issue! Looks like it needed a new PDM (Power Distribution Module). After a quick search it looks like this is a common issue with the 2013 models.

I did not have any software updates, I think if I got the update this may not have happened. The reason I didnt get the update was... well as I found out this time... the nearest place to obtain the update was 60+ miles away... and I didnt want to blow an entire day getting a software update... turns out I wasted more time not getting the update...

All that said, beyond the local dealer who couldnt help me... the people on the helpline were awesome and the dealer that is fixing it was very professional. Despite the issue, the tow, the wasted day away from work, I am satisfied with the car and level of service I got.

CMYK4Life said:
They found the issue! Looks like it needed a new PDM (Power Distribution Module). After a quick search it looks like this is a common issue with the 2013 models.

I did not have any software updates, I think if I got the update this may not have happened. The reason I didnt get the update was... well as I found out this time... the nearest place to obtain the update was 60+ miles away... and I didnt want to blow an entire day getting a software update... turns out I wasted more time not getting the update...

All that said, beyond the local dealer who couldnt help me... the people on the helpline were awesome and the dealer that is fixing it was very professional. Despite the issue, the tow, the wasted day away from work, I am satisfied with the car and level of service I got.
They offered a loaner for my update, and yes, it was a 7 hour job for them (had them do the annual battery check, etc). Surprised they did not offer you a loaner until it was finished?

Back