2013 SV Timer Won't always work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llclark22

I have a 2013 Leaf SV and have both timers set for every day of the week. Timer 1 is charging to 100% on multiple days of the week and Timer 2 is set to 80% Wednesday night, Friday night and Saturday night. Unfortunately, it has been a crap shoot whether the timer will actually operate during those times or not. If I want to make sure it is on, I need to go into the garage to check which technically eliminates the need for the timer, I could just simply turn on the car to charge. What am I doing wrong?!? Why won't the timers work consistently?

Please post the programmed start and end times and days of the week for both timers. After seeing that information, I may be able to offer some explanation or guidance. Also, please explain how you want the car to charge each day.

Gerry

I have Timer 1 set for Sunday night, Monday night, Tuesday Night and Thursday night from 10p to 4a to charge to 100%. On Wednesday night, Friday night and Saturday night, I have the same start (10p) and end time (4a) with the charge to reach 80%. I drive about 50 miles round trip a weekday and can trickle charge at my work. I only charge to 80% on certain days to save on battery life a bit. On the weekends, my driving habits are more local so I usually don't need a full 100% anyway. The timer works somedays and not others. I have tried to reset the timers and turn them off and back on again to see if that helps but it has not. Thanks for your assistance!

Times look straight forward with no overlap. The only thing I can think of is to make sure both timers are turned on (activated). You may have already tried this, but since the timers remember the set times even when they are turned off, it might be good to change the times for each timer to different times and save them. After exiting the menus, verify that both timers accepted the new times. Then go back in and set your desired start and end times for each timer. Save the results, activate the appropriate timer for each day, save and exit the menu, and see what happens.

Gerry

If you override them during the day by pressing the timer override button (in the group of buttons to the left and below the steering wheel), the timers should function normally in the evening. If you go into the menu on the central touchscreen to turn them off, you must go back into the menu to turn them back on.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Please post the programmed start and end times and days of the week for both timers. After seeing that information, I may be able to offer some explanation or guidance. Also, please explain how you want the car to charge each day.

Gerry

M-F start 9 p.m. end 10 a.m.
S-S start 8 p.m. end 5 p.m.

Vehicle will not charge at 11 a.m. Sunday with both timers active. Canceling S-S timer still won't charge. Canceling both won't charge. Removing the handle and plugging back in it will charge.

Since PG&E eliminated my E-9 rate after three years and put me on E-6, there is more off-peak time. It would be easier to avoid using the timer because I can charge before turning in for the night, but still, why does this charge timer not work? Chevy did it better, I never had a problem.

EVforRobert said:
M-F start 9 p.m. end 10 a.m.
S-S start 8 p.m. end 5 p.m.

Vehicle will not charge at 11 a.m. Sunday with both timers active. Canceling S-S timer still won't charge. Canceling both won't charge. Removing the handle and plugging back in it will charge.

Since PG&E eliminated my E-9 rate after three years and put me on E-6, there is more off-peak time. It would be easier to avoid using the timer because I can charge before turning in for the night, but still, why does this charge timer not work? Chevy did it better, I never had a problem.

Let me guess--you are trying to charge off peak at night weekdays and during the day on weekends. If you do not mind having it allowed to charge all day on Saturday and Sunday, you can use the following:

Timer One: start at 2100 (9:00 pm) and end at 1000 (10:00 am the next day)
Timer Two: start at 2100 (9:00 pm) and end at 2100 (9:00 pm the next day)
Enable Timer 1 for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Enable Timer 2 for Friday and Saturday

I don't understand why your original timer settings will not allow it charge at 11:00 am on Sunday unless the overlapping settings are confusing the computer. I can see why your settings would not allow it to charge on Saturday because the Friday timer would stop charging at 10:00 am on Saturday and the Saturday timer would not allow charging to start until 8:00 pm Saturday. It is not explained in the owner manual, but the stop time is the next day if start time is in the evening.

Gerry

The LEAF timer is simplistic. It offers no provision for Summer/Winter Schedule Start
Date Entering or Electric Rate Schedule Editing. I am giving up on it.

Just tried resetting timers earlier today and still did not start charging at the entered start time... I am not sure what I could possibly be doing wrong. It seems very simple and I am guessing I may be missing something very very easy. Will keep trying I guess...

llclark22 said:
Just tried resetting timers earlier today and still did not start charging at the entered start time... I am not sure what I could possibly be doing wrong. It seems very simple and I am guessing I may be missing something very very easy. Will keep trying I guess...
Well a number of people have had some trouble with it so don't think you are alone. There are many threads here on the topic but I think you might have more luck in getting started with the timer by leaving the start time blank and just setting the end time (when you want to have the car ready to drive). The LEAF will just decide when to start charging to have the car ready by the end time. That should make sure you are charging during the lowest rates and that the car does not sit a long time at a high state of charge.

Try that and see if you can get that working.

So Timer 2 worked just fine last night (On Time 10p, off time 5a, 80% Charge) I have it charging that way three days a week to save battery life.
Hopefully Timer 1 works tonight (same start and end time; 100% Charge) I use this timer to get the most mileage so I do not have to plug in at school everyday. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't work. I am going to try the end time only with no start time.

I am still somewhat baffled with the timer situation... I tried to have it charge last night with no start time and let it begin when the car thinks it needs to start. It still didn't work. I reset all the timers tonight and thought of something. I am using the 3.3Kw 240v home charger. When I plug it into the wall, do I need to press the silver charge button to "turn it on" from the box?? When I plug it into the car, it does not automatically beep nor do the lights on the dash flash.Is this possibly my problem?? If not, I am baffled... It is like a crapshoot whether it is going to charge or not!

If a timer is set, it should beep and the 3 lights should flash in sequence for a short time to verify it's on timer. What brand of EVSE are you using? Go ahead and push that button and see what happens. But if timer 2 worked the other day it could still be something else. You've checked that the assigned days are correct and that the timer you want is active when you plug in?

Ok, I may be getting closer. After setting the timer last night with no start time and only an end time to 80%, I plugged the car in and there were no beeps or lights. I pushed the button on the charger (EVI Portable EV Charger. Model number: PC-0113-AA-SM) and the car beeped and the timer lights came on on the dash. Alas, it DID charge the car. I am now thinking that in order to allow the timer to work with the portable charger, I need to press the button on the timer after I plug the car in. I did the same thing tonight and it beeped and flashed again. I will continue to update if it works or not.

I think this may have resolved my issue! I can't believe it was something as simple as that. It didn't say anything in the car manual about it and I guess I didn't realize the charger is an "after model" charger. Now I know. Hopefully this ends the saga. Thanks for all your assistance!!

This is not necessarily the same problem but I can't find where to post a new thread. I am trying to charge my Leaf but, even though the charge light comes on, I hear a clicking noise in the car and it turns off. The temperature outside is right around 0º so I was wondering if that may have something to do with it. The battery charge right now is about 14%.

Back