2013 SL Crashed - What next?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leasing is a horrible option on a per mile basis. Would be better to just pay the tax credit amount toward the downpayment (and re-collect it later) to lower your monthly payment. Then again - if you're concerned about the monthly payment, you probably don't want to buy a new car.

Leasing can be a great way to drive an EV, and then to buy it if it works out, but the lease structure has to support that. GMAC clearly wants the cars they lease back. In the case of the two Priuses we'e leased, though, we could have bought the cars for the residual - and did with one - for little or nothing more, total, than buying them new.

LeftieBiker said:
Leasing is a horrible option on a per mile basis. Would be better to just pay the tax credit amount toward the downpayment (and re-collect it later) to lower your monthly payment. Then again - if you're concerned about the monthly payment, you probably don't want to buy a new car.

Leasing can be a great way to drive an EV, and then to buy it if it works out, but the lease structure has to support that. GMAC clearly wants the cars they lease back. In the case of the two Priuses we'e leased, though, we could have bought the cars for the residual - and did with one - for little or nothing more, total, than buying them new.

For the Leaf specifically, you're correct. The lease payoffs for Leafs have been surprisingly low. I still just can't bring myself to recommend a lease. It just screams "RIP-OFF" to me.

Better way to try out an EV is to buy used and sell it two years later for more than you owe. New Leafs depreciated like a rock. The used value is pretty good though. I bought my 2014 S for $10K. I could easily sell it today for $7,500 2.5 years later.

webb14leafs said:
Better way to try out an EV is to buy used and sell it two years later for more than you owe. New Leafs depreciated like a rock. The used value is pretty good though. I bought my 2014 S for $10K. I could easily sell it today for $7,500 2.5 years later.
You will know that after the sale.

I tried to sell my LEAF a couple of months ago and was contacted by a total of two people. One did not realize that the car could not complete her commute and the other wanted a 30% discount. And as Cwerdna will tell you, getting over $5k for his car has so far proven to be an impossible task in NorCal for his 11 bar LEAF. Perhaps the most telling part of his story is that Nissan dealerships are clearly disinterested.

So while I agree that buying a used LEAF (say, just off lease) can be a money saving strategy it is presuming a lot to say what the car will sell for a couple years later. In terms of money though, if you have inexpensive electricity that is money in the bank; LEAFs are usually reliable (if for no other reason than being low mileage cars); and people have an easier choice whether to pay comp and collision insurance since the car value is low. I spend about $30 a month to run our car: ~ $8 for fuel and $22 for insurance.

Thanks for the replies. So far, I'm having terrible luck with Bolt's close by. SD isn't the most friendly to EV anything, so they aren't willing to work on deals, and offered almost $800 a month on a lease (yikes). We do have the option of looking at a leaf here in town, but the choices are a 2012, which would be a step backwards for me, or leasing a new one. Leasing is appealing, but if we end up doing that, I would want a plus for the range, which I'm sure isn't affordable.

For now, our next option we're looking at is either a prius or Corolla hybrid, or a Chevy Volt to at least have some EV capability. Not the best option, but we'll see what we can find.

Check out the Prius Prime.
I bought mine via telephone/email from a dealer in NY and had it shipped to New Mexico. It has a nice federal tax credit (and if you live in the right state, another credit) leading to prices below the Prius; or in our case, way below the Prius.

Unlike the Volt, the Prime is well supported by corporate and its dealerships.

Or buy a Tesla and then be *really* happy :D

SageBrush said:
I bought mine via telephone/email from a dealer in NY and had it shipped to New Mexico. It has a nice federal tax credit (and if you live in the right state, another credit) leading to prices below the Prius.

Unlike the Volt, the Prime is well supported by corporate and its dealerships.

Or buy a Tesla and then be *really* happy :D

Until it catches fire, that is.

And TSLA is down another $1.31.

WetEV said:

Wait, the Tesla or the Prius?

SageBrush said:

I've got feelers out about the Prime. It looks like a solid car, but the drivetrain in the Volt looks more solid than the Prius, and the battery in the Volt is so much larger, it feels like a lot of range.

Energon5 said:
WetEV said:

Wait, the Tesla or the Prius?

SageBrush said:

I've got feelers out about the Prime. It looks like a solid car, but the drivetrain in the Volt looks more solid than the Prius, and the battery in the Volt is so much larger, it feels like a lot of range.
WetEV is trolling.

I'm not sure what "solid" means in this context. The Volt is a Johnny-come-lately (and now discontinued) GM imitation of the Prius. You better convince yourself that it can be serviced local to you. And not just now, but for the years you may own the car. The Prime starts off with only about 5.5 kWh of usable energy per charge but it will surprise you because Toyota is a master of efficiency (rivaling, and in some important ways, beating Tesla.) The car is rated IIRC for 25 miles a charge but I don't think I ever got less than 32 miles per charge in my year of ownership. A full charge using 3.3 kW L2 takes about 1.5 hours so it is very easy to run 50 - 60 miles a day EV, particularly from home. Volt EV efficiency is ... meh. If reducing pollution and carbon emissions is important to you then the Prime beats the Volt easily.

On longer drives the Prime gets 50 - 55 mpg at 65 mph while the Volt is in the 35 - 40 mpg range. I used the Prime for my 90 mile r/t work commute and averaged 6 kWh + one gallon through a 4 season climate in Colorado. If you can tolerate an ICE car the Prime is a brilliant choice.

Back