2013 Nissan Leaf Edges Closer To Production In Smyrna, TN

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wondering what people in England are saying about the LEAF Plant they are getting? but then again, with the QC network they have and the price of gas along with various congestion taxes, i am guessing they are looking quite forward to the idea

Leaf1 said:
I wonder how much gas mileage requirements factor into EV manufacturing plans. I assume the govt's intent is to make EV a necessity for auto companies to have in the mix.

EVs and hybrids are a major component of all manufacturer's strategy to meet the upcoming EPA mileage requirements.

DaveinOlyWA said:
wondering what people in England are saying about the LEAF Plant they are getting?
Blimey, don’t get your knickers in a twist and throw a spanner in the works for bits an bobs. That motorcar's absobloodylootely dog’s bollocks, know your onions, only a tosser goes arse-over-tit for a tad battery capacity loss. The chuffed toff throw a few quid, and the skived wankers that fancy 6.6kw - horses for courses, least of all bloody OPEC.

OrientExpress said:
Leaf1 said:
I wonder how much gas mileage requirements factor into EV manufacturing plans. I assume the govt's intent is to make EV a necessity for auto companies to have in the mix.

EVs and hybrids are a major component of all manufacturer's strategy to meet the upcoming EPA mileage requirements.
Well, Chrysler has no hybrids (they only had the battering ram of death class Aspen Hybrid very briefly) and barely any EV strategy, beyond CA compliance EVs.

Others include boosting the mileage or "mileage" (e.g. getting extra credit for NGVs, auto start/stop systems, etc.) of their existing fleet, adjusting their fleet mix and paying fines. I believe automakers can also buy excess credits from other automakers. Might be cheaper to pay fines and/or buy credits than to make big investments.

cwerdna said:
Well, Chrysler has no hybrids (they only had the battering ram of death class Aspen Hybrid very briefly) and barely any EV strategy, beyond CA compliance EVs.

Fiat (or as it is know in the US, Chrysler) has a variant of the 500 that is a pure EV set for release, but seems to be concentrating on hybrids and diesels at this point. Other than the 500 EV, its US plans are murky at this point.

OrientExpress said:
Leaf1 said:
This assumes, of course, that the EPA isn't abolished next year as so many millions of short-sighted people would dearly like to do. And "regulation" is a dirty word to the same crowd, so things from car safety to food and drug safety could also go away. (Let the free market reign supreme?)

OrientExpress said:
Train said:
The 2013 is on schedule and Nissan is in EVs for the long haul.

If sales continue like they are, there won't be a long haul.
Not a chance, Nissan has made a strategic decision and it is not guided by the short attention span/quick profits mind-think that is prevalent in the US. They believe in "learn from your failures, and if at first you don't succeed, try try again."

They realize that a mix of propulsion options will be necessary in their product mix to differentiate themselves from their competition and to succeed in the 21st century vehicle business.
Exactly. If I were in their position, I might notice that the Volt is selling very well in comparison to the LEAF and push to get some plug-in hybrids out the door as soon as possible. A plug-in hybrid would utilize much of the same technology as the LEAF.

I suspect that we'll have a better idea by the end of the year.

+1... don't know if my car will make it to December. Even then I have to have it passed emissions if the 2013 isn't out yet. Those 2012 lease prices are looking more and more appealing.

I'm in the same boat. My Prius is in need of some work, and I don't think it will make it to Dec let alone Feb/Mar. Currently working on getting $11000 off MSRP on a 2012SL, if that lease deal is good I may just jump and deal with the 2 years of an "outdated" car.

dgpcolorado said:
OrientExpress said:
Leaf1 said:
This assumes, of course, that the EPA isn't abolished next year as so many millions of short-sighted people would dearly like to do. And "regulation" is a dirty word to the same crowd, so things from car safety to food and drug safety could also go away. (Let the free market reign supreme?)
You know the folk who lived on Easter Island had no regulations. Perfect example of what humans do, when there's no regulation.
On a happy note - Leaf/Smyrna Plant TOUR !!! We're heading to Nashville in just a few days, and we're going to go see what's going on with the new factory. Cant wait!
:)

There are some excellent deals on closeouts of the 2012 LEAF model line, and if it makes sense to you, I would say go for it. The 2012s will be the last cars coming from Japan for the US market.

On the 2013s, what I can tell you is that the pilot manufacturing line in the US is ramping up nicely, and Nissan is making sure that everything is as close to perfect as they can before they transition to manufacturing production cars.

I think that 2013 cars will be available when they are ready. Having produced more mainstream EVs in the last 2 years then had been produced by all manufacturers in total for all time has taught Nissan quite a few things, and they are making sure that those lessons are incorporated into their next efforts in this space. All of us have contributed to those lessons, and Nissan takes those teachings quite seriously.

bradbissell said:
So does this mean that 2013's will be available in Dec when production is scheduled, or will there be a delay until Feb/Mar?
Well they should not have to sit in the port of Long Beach for 60+ days to get floor mats installed, software updates, pollen removed, etc.

I seriously doubt you will see any 2013s delivered to real customers until, well, 2013...

bradbissell said:
So does this mean that 2013's will be available in Dec when production is scheduled, or will there be a delay until Feb/Mar?

Since the 2013 will be coming off the line somewhere around December, when do you all think we will see some pictures,news and TV ads etc. come out?

The 2013 will have the same battery as 2011-12, so if you've been holding out for that, I'd get a 2012 on a smoking deal. If you're in a cold state, and think the heat pump will be a game changer, or you need 6.6kW charging midday (3.3kW is perfect for overnight), then I might wait for 2013.

The leather interior option can be duplicated in plenty of shops around the world on a 2011-12. I don't care about "North American styling".

For folks on a budget, the resale value of the used LEAF is dropping enough to make those attractive to buy soon, particularly if you only have a short commute per day (and battery degradation is not a factor).

Back