2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
won't the deal get better if you do a 36 month lease with $2500 rebate you get in CA ?

I would have gone for a 36 month lease if WA state had a similar rebate.

Please let me know if this is a bad deal. I actually think it's pretty bad based on other posts in this thread but would like some opinions/suggestions.

2013 LEAF SV standard
MSRP 33,135
-1,647 dealer discount
-7,500 fed tax credit
Cap Cost 23,988
36 month lease, 12k miles per year (only doing 36 for Cali rebate of 2,500 although another post said it's the same or worse than a 24 month lease even with the Cali rebate :?: )
Residual of 16,236 or about 49%
MF of .00178

Drive off is 1,362 which breaks down as
1st month's pmt - 334.49 (307 + 9% sales tax)
Registration/Tags - 287
Tire Fee - 7 (Cali so you know, a fee for recycling everything even LCD TVs)
Electronic Filing - 29 (For DMV I'm assuming)
Cap Reduction Tax - $704.27 (9% sales tax in my county)
Customer Cash Down - .24 (yes 24 cents - basically $0 down)

So final is 1,362 drive off + 35 months at 307 + 9% tax and this is what the dealer emailed me.

However based on the numbers provided above (which they gave me) this is what I'm calculating:

36 Months
Capitalized Cost: $ 23988.00
Residual Value: $ 16236.00 after 36 months
Depreciation Fee: $ 215.33 part of lease payment
Lease Fee: $ 71.57 part of lease payment
Monthly Payment: $ 286.90 without tax
Usage Tax: $ 25.82 9.00 % of 7752.00
Total Monthly Payment: $ 312.72 Including tax

Are my calculations wrong or is the dealer adding on other fees they're not letting me know about.
Also, am I being ripped a new one on this deal?!

pogoplug said:
pogoplug said:
This looks like it but need someone to confirm this is a good deal..

S model with charge package in Nor Cal for a 12K miles/ year - 24 month lease

Total Drive off : $3000
Monthly : $70 + tax

Planning to stop by later today to pick it up. Let me know if I should pull the trigger

Any comments???....i bought time till tomorrow morning

As often mentioned, try to exchange the low monthly payment with a lower total drive off. But TCO is excellent (less than 20 cents/mile).

ayekay said:
won't the deal get better if you do a 36 month lease with $2500 rebate you get in CA ?

Again, not necessarily. A lot of folks have gotten superior 24 month deals, even when the CVRP rebate (currently waiting for funding, with over $10M in applications waiting to be funded) or lack thereof is factored in.

Either NMAC is giving a much better money factor on the 24 month leases, and/or they expect a significant depreciation curve between years 2 and 3.

ayekay said:

2 Year deal:
FedGov 7500, State 0. Subsidy per year 3750.

3 Year deal:
FedGov 7500, State 2500. Subsidy per year 3333.

The three year deal is only better is you think the subsidies will end before your lease. You pay a little more to lock in another year.

Compuatic said:
pogoplug said:
pogoplug said:

Planning to stop by later today to pick it up. Let me know if I should pull the trigger

Total cost of ownership comes out at less than $5k. Good deal, go for it.

OK!..Done..will sign it today

RonDawg said:
pogoplug said:
pogoplug said:

As often mentioned, try to exchange the low monthly payment with a lower total drive off. But TCO is excellent (less than 20 cents/mile).

Absolutely..have already discussed this with the dealer. He is fine with changing this anyway I like...

sonnylax said:
Thanks for the confirmation. Inventory on Leafs is down about 40% from their high in April and May. WA state is sold out on many lots. Eastern states are as lean as ever. Also, mf is slightly up and residual value down. We all want to pay yesterdays prices at whatever the low was for Leaf leases. Here, we are paying a few hundred more to lease a Leaf due to all these factors than we did a month or two ago. Big deal. I remember the two year period where folks were paying a couple of thousand more for their Leaf leases.

The Leaf lease is like a stock that used to sell for a $80 a share, took two years to gradually slide down to $40, and now it's up to $43.50. Everybody is waiting because they want it back at the low at $40. Supply and demand fluctuates, mf (just like interest rates) changes, and residual values change. That's the car business. Like a stock, nobody knows whether Leaf leases will be higher or lower a month from now and people are betting both ways (by buying or not buying now). But everyday we wait is another day we don't save $ by driving an EV. OK, I'm done with my green energy soap box (for today).

Corina1231 said:
The Leaf lease is like a stock that used to sell for a $80 a share, that took two years to gradually slide down to $40, and now it's up to $43.50. Everybody is waiting because they want it back at the low at $40. Supply and demand fluctuates, mf (just like interest rates) changes, and residual values change. That's the car business. Like a stock, nobody knows whether Leaf leases will be higher or lower a month from now and people are betting both ways (by buying or not buying now). But everyday we wait is another day we don't save $ by driving an EV. OK, I'm done with my green energy soap box (for today).
That's a great way to look at it!

Corina1231 said:
c141medic said:
Just pulled the plug (no pun intended) on waiting for the Honda Fit EV. My dealer at Burns Honda in Marlton NJ was absolutely clueless to the process so I jumped ship and went for the Leaf. Here's my lease details.

South Jersey
Nissan Leaf SL
2yr/15K miles Lease
$299 month
$750 down (drive off price which included first month payment, tags, acquisition fee ,etc.)

And of course NO TAX in NJ. Amazes me how many EV dealers (particularly Honda) were totally ignorant about this. It took me literally less than a minute to research this on the web.

I was shopping for the SV at another dealership but they wanted to play games and did not earn my business. In my opinion I ended up with a fair deal considering the current lease special on the Leaf SL on Nissan's web site is $300 month with $2000 down (and that doesn't include tags and other misc. fees). Overall, I'm very happy with the Leaf over the Honda. Glad I jumped ship.
C141medic

Did the same in January '13, Beaverton (OR) Honda said "NO Fit-EV's available, can't reserve one, we'll put you on the waiting list". Leased my Leaf in March in Pasco WA. Yesterday got a call from Beaverton Honda, "cars available, $259/month lease". Sorry BH, I'm lovin' my Leaf. This is off-thread, I'll go looking for a Fit-EV thread, sorry 'bout that.

ayekay said:
Picked up my Leaf :!:

State : Washington
Metro area/city : Bellevue

Color/trim: Red / S
Options: Floor mats, splash guards, cargo cover
Accessories: None

Additional fees: (licence, title, admin fee, acquisition fee, Down payment + first month's payment) = 2000
23 more payments at $140
VPP = yes

Purchase or lease?: Lease

the only thing I didn't find in the paperwork was the GAP insurance. Is it a checkbox in one of the papers you sign or is it a separate sheet ?

Given that the $7500 federal refund goes towards the car, does it make sense to have GAP insurance on the LEAF ?

Eastside Nissan ?

Ron will chime in to confirm, given that this is base S , looks to me little expensive at 5220.

I'm getting quotes for SV with QC for around TCO-$5156. Only thing is color I wanted is not in stock. Today another dealer want me to sign in and promise me to deliver SV w/qc within 72 hrs at this rate.

Looking for some thoughts on this deal in GA (Atlanta)

Leaf S + QC + cargo cover, mats, splash guard

1681 down (tax, title, 1st month)
23 payments at $199
No mention of a disposition so I wont be paying it if they try and add it, I will just walk.

I saw a few in GA got less but it also seems like the demand is up due to the GA $5000. I approached another dealer with this offer and they could not come close. Is it worth jumping on or keep shopping?

Keith

abhik said:
ayekay said:
Picked up my Leaf :!:

State : Washington
Metro area/city : Bellevue

Color/trim: Red / S
Options: Floor mats, splash guards, cargo cover
Accessories: None

Additional fees: (licence, title, admin fee, acquisition fee, Down payment + first month's payment) = 2000
23 more payments at $140
VPP = yes

Purchase or lease?: Lease

the only thing I didn't find in the paperwork was the GAP insurance. Is it a checkbox in one of the papers you sign or is it a separate sheet ?

Given that the $7500 federal refund goes towards the car, does it make sense to have GAP insurance on the LEAF ?

Eastside Nissan ?

Ron will chime in to confirm, given that this is base S , looks to me little expensive at 5220.
Ok, I'll chime in, but not to say that he got a bad deal. Demand is up and supply is down. That said, it is NOT a VPP deal ($1000 below invoice).

I just wanted to remind him that I contacted him with my shock when he wrote (below) just a couple days ago that he had been offered the same S car WITH QC ADDED for $1000 less! Folks began writing me asking me to help them get that deal, which was too good to be true. In fact, the best deals I've seen on this board have been the ones people were "offered", not the ones people actually "got":

"ayekay wrote:

VPP
I'm trying to find what a reasonable TCO for a S with charge package + mats + splash guard in Washington state is?

VPP
24 mo
179 drive-off (which includes all fees)
$179/mo for 23 months
S with charger package + mats + splash guard

I've been offered $179/m for a 24 month lease with 0 down. but the dealer has no cars available and I need to get on the wait list. this comes to $4296."

kberger said:

23 payments at $199
No mention of a disposition so I wont be paying it if they try and add it, I will just walk.

I saw a few in GA got less but it also seems like the demand is up due to the GA $5000. I approached another dealer with this offer and they could not come close. Is it worth jumping on or keep shopping?

Keith

You are at $6258 (total lease cost) without a Dispo Fee. (Assume this is 2 years/12k miles per year?) I got the same model for ~$5200 (total lease cost including 395 dispo fee) in Metro Atlanta two months ago.

I'd try to get your total lease quote down to $6k (out the door "down" payment plus 23 monthly payments) in writing via e-mail. (There are tons of dealerships to play off of in Metro ATL. However demand for EV's has picked up lately.) Confirm that you have all the costs accounted for in your written email quote.

After you get your best offer, I really like the idea of grinding the deal down further on the Dispo Fee when you are ready to pull the trigger. Just be prepared to walk out the door. :)

They typically will accomodate your $395 in the overall deal through a combination of lower monthly payments and/or lower down payment. Might not be the same day and you may have to come back to the dealership the following day.

End of month is near..... The deals should be aggressive over the next 10 days.

sonnylax said:
kberger said:

23 payments at $199

Keith

You are at $6258 (total lease cost) without a Dispo Fee. (Assume this is 2 years/12k miles per year?) I got the same model for ~$5200 (total lease cost including 395 dispo fee) in Metro Atlanta two months ago.

I'd try to get your total lease quote down to $6k (out the door "down" payment plus 23 monthly payments) in writing via e-mail. (There are tons of dealerships to play off of in Metro ATL. However demand for EV's has picked up lately.) Confirm that you have all the costs accounted for in your written email quote.

After you get your best offer, I really like the idea of grinding the deal down further on the Dispo Fee when you are ready to pull the trigger. Just be prepared to walk out the door. :)

They typically will accomodate your $395 in the overall deal through a combination of lower monthly payments and/or lower down payment. Might not be the same day and you may have to come back to the dealership the following day.

End of month is near..... The deals should be aggressive over the next 10 days.

Sonnylax,

Can you please give me more details about your deal? Is it VPP? Which dealer was it? And was it before march 1st. I am planning to go to dealers here and it would help with your info. Thanks.

Hello all,
I'm in the very beginning stages of shopping for a LEAF and designing a spreadsheet to compare deals. I'm in the Los Angeles metro area and I qualify for VPP at level D, which means $500 over dealer invoice. I'm curious to know what I need to consider to compare apples to apples between dealers. Is it sufficient to just make sure I'm getting all of the tax incentives, calculate total out of pocket (down = payment x term) and divide by total miles to get cost per mile and compare on that basis? Is it really worth it to get into money factors and residuals?

Also, what would be a good cost per mile for my area? Preliminary phone calls have yielded about $0.27 per mile for 36 months/12,000 miles per year. Should I press harder?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Veganlady said:
Hello all,
I'm in the very beginning stages of shopping for a LEAF and designing a spreadsheet to compare deals. I'm in the Los Angeles metro area and I qualify for VPP at level D, which means $500 over dealer invoice. I'm curious to know what I need to consider to compare apples to apples between dealers. Is it sufficient to just make sure I'm getting all of the tax incentives, calculate total out of pocket (down = payment x term) and divide by total miles to get cost per mile and compare on that basis? Is it really worth it to get into money factors and residuals?

Also, what would be a good cost per mile for my area? Preliminary phone calls have yielded about $0.27 per mile for 36 months/12,000 miles per year. Should I press harder?

Money factor and residuals do affect how much you pay, but what you really need to focus on is TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). Specifically, how much do you have to put down and how much do you have to pay every month, all added up. It looks like you've already done that with the 27 cents/mile calculation.

Also, look into 24 month leases. Even though they don't qualify for the rebate, many folks have gotten superior lease deals with 24 month leases rather than 36 month ones, even with the CVRP rebate factored in. If you do go with the 36 month lease, note that unlike with the Federal tax credit, the CVRP rebate is NOT factored into the payments...it comes in the form of a separate check, made out to you.

As far as the 27 cents/mile, you can probably do better, though without knowing the specific model it's hard to say just how much better.

RonDawg said:
Veganlady said:
Hello all,

Money factor and residuals do affect how much you pay, but what you really need to focus on is TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). Specifically, how much do you have to put down and how much do you have to pay every month, all added up. It looks like you've already done that with the 27 cents/mile calculation.

Also, look into 24 month leases. Even though they don't qualify for the rebate, many folks have gotten superior lease deals with 24 month leases rather than 36 month ones, even with the CVRP rebate factored in. If you do go with the 36 month lease, note that unlike with the Federal tax credit, the CVRP rebate is NOT factored into the payments...it comes in the form of a separate check, made out to you.

As far as the 27 cents/mile, you can probably do better, though without knowing the specific model it's hard to say just how much better.

Thanks very much for your reply. On the tax business - one dealer mentioned the drive-off being "offset" by the CA tax credit. I'm not sure he means I'd net out after I got the check or if he meant I could sign the rebate over to him and not pay the drive off (my solar panel installer did that). I'll have to ask specifically. It sounds like my simple spreadsheet should serve me well, which is a relief.

Sorry to leave out the car details! I was asking for a SV with L3 charging, nothing else.

Back