2011-2012 Leaf what is your current range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just yesterday I got home with VLBW @55 miles, mostly 60 mph highway. 6 TB's, A/C, averaging 4+ m/kWh. I'm around 45+ AHr's, so I'm about halfway to bar #4.

My car has a battery that is 15% degraded. It appears that the "hot summer day range" is 75 miles, with 2800 feet of elevation change, since that's what I did yesterday on a grocery run: full charge of 229 Gids, added 40 Gids at my destination, got home with 52 Gids. So, I could have made it, just barely, without the extra charge. The temperature down at the destination city was 92ºF and the temperature at home was 82ºF. The battery temperature warmed up from about 23ºC (73ºF) to 35ºC (95ºF) by the time I got home, after hours in the sun plus the long climb back uphill.

That trip was easy when my car was new (and there wasn't a public charge station to use anyway then).

TomT said:
I never again want an EV where I have to do this. Full freeway speeds without having to play range games for the life of the car or I'm out...

Stoaty said:
Full to 24% Gids (about 6 miles before LBW) I can go 50 miles at 60 MPH with 900 feet elevation gain.
I know what you mean. For my normal commute, 12 miles each way, w/free L1 and L2 charging at work means no problem for me. I can let her rip, unless there's some unusual circumstance where I couldn't charge or charge for long enough.

But, if I have to go on longer drives or didn't charge fully (because I don't want to unnecessarily waste $ by charging too much on weekends at home before returning to work), I may have to temper my speeds and consumption. It's quite liberating to drive my ICEV and not have ANY worries about range or driving faster == may not make it to my destination/home.

I have the 2011 Leaf. I start the day fully charged with between 50-68 mile range.

My bars .... eight.

Last week, I was at a stop light and for a lark glanced at the bars and thought "I wonder how many more miles before I hit 8 bars, since I think I only have 2-3 months left on the battery warranty" .eight. I read it and counted it 5 times.

I called Nissan and brought it in. The Service manager said "Hold on, I have to check, you know you have to include the RED bars, right?" I said , yeah I know, I have 8 bars and only 36k miles.

Long story short in 2-4 weeks my brand new 2015 battery should be arriving at the dealership.

NOTE: I bought the car used with 27500 miles on it. I had no idea about batteries or bars or anything, I wanted the carpool sticker. After buying the car and seeing the disappointing range (my daily commute is 40 miles, which doesn't leave much) I used Carwings and discovered that the previous owner lived in Sacramento and that the car was a lease return. I'm guessing she quick charged it every day and it baked in the Sacramento heat. I cursed her every day until last week, when I praised her for her abuse which is getting me a fresh battery.

And take note: They ran diagnostics on the battery and sent the data to Nissan. I think they check if you are abusing the battery by leaving it empty for days on end to try and kill it down to 8 bars.

Vincerama said:
I have the 2011 Leaf. I start the day fully charged with between 50-68 mile range.

My bars .... eight.

Last week, I was at a stop light and for a lark glanced at the bars and thought "I wonder how many more miles before I hit 8 bars, since I think I only have 2-3 months left on the battery warranty" .eight. I read it and counted it 5 times.

I called Nissan and brought it in. The Service manager said "Hold on, I have to check, you know you have to include the RED bars, right?" I said , yeah I know, I have 8 bars and only 36k miles.

Long story short in 2-4 weeks my brand new 2015 battery should be arriving at the dealership.

NOTE: I bought the car used with 27500 miles on it. I had no idea about batteries or bars or anything, I wanted the carpool sticker. After buying the car and seeing the disappointing range (my daily commute is 40 miles, which doesn't leave much) I used Carwings and discovered that the previous owner lived in Sacramento and that the car was a lease return. I'm guessing she quick charged it every day and it baked in the Sacramento heat. I cursed her every day until last week, when I praised her for her abuse which is getting me a fresh battery.

And take note: They ran diagnostics on the battery and sent the data to Nissan. I think they check if you are abusing the battery by leaving it empty for days on end to try and kill it down to 8 bars.

congrats on you new battery.

fwiw it'd be leaving it full for days on end to abuse it in the heat. Low charge doesn't degrade the battery in heat as bad as high charge does.

also if you don't mind click on the link for the wiki to see the fields and post back here the data for your 4th bar loss.

dhanson865 said:
fwiw it'd be leaving it full for days on end to abuse it in the heat. Low charge doesn't degrade the battery in heat as bad as high charge does.

I'm of the opinion that any state of charge will lead to capacity loss under the right climatic conditions, so there's no need to sit at high state of charge on hot days and low state of charge on cool ones.

For capacity loss just make sure you're on the high temperature side of 5 battery temperature bars (around 70 degrees F) For more rapid capacity loss find a way to reach and stay at 6 bars (74.3 degrees F minimum).

I lost my third bar last week. I have 59.5k miles. I now charge to 100% weekdays and I was hitting LBW this past winter on my 32 mile one way commute when charging to 80%. That happened even in the afternoon when it wasn't that cold. I have lost the last two bars at 11 month intervals. I charge at work as well, as it is needed to get home. Given the huge increase at the office in other EVs, I tend to charge and then sit at 100% for about 5 hours every day after I move out so others can use the L2.

I guess my range is probably 45 - 50 miles. I also don't want to compromise driving habits, speed or climate control and "go with the flow" in the HOV lane. While I am disappointed at the range loss, for me, I am good as long as I can make my commute.

2011 LEAF, #1333, delivered April 2011, 33955 miles

9 bars remaining (lost #10 bar last summer).
Most recent LB warning on 80% were at: 28.9, 33.2, 32.9, 37.5, 28.2, 27.1, 28.2 miles.
Range on 100% charge is probably about 48-50 miles, with extreme babying.

Our 2012 LEAF currently has about 29,000 miles on it and has lost two Battery Capacity bars. According to my GID Meter the battery capacity is at about 73%, which means we are close to losing a 3rd Capacity Bar. I'd say that the full range of the car down to VLBW is currently about 44 miles. The car has typically been driven around town at 45 to 53 mph, with little highway driving.

My 2012 SL (delivered Dec 2012) has just under 34K. It shows all 12 capacity bars and has a practical range of 55 miles. If I drive only highway it is closer to 40 miles. Tires are now Michelin.

The range has degraded as I used to be able to make a 78 mile round trip using 11 bars. Now with recharging the same trip uses 15 bars.

I expect a bar to drop soon!

Cinnabar said:
I lost my third bar last week. I have 59.5k miles. I now charge to 100% weekdays and I was hitting LBW this past winter on my 32 mile one way commute when charging to 80%. That happened even in the afternoon when it wasn't that cold. I have lost the last two bars at 11 month intervals. I charge at work as well, as it is needed to get home. Given the huge increase at the office in other EVs, I tend to charge and then sit at 100% for about 5 hours every day after I move out so others can use the L2.

I guess my range is probably 45 - 50 miles. I also don't want to compromise driving habits, speed or climate control and "go with the flow" in the HOV lane. While I am disappointed at the range loss, for me, I am good as long as I can make my commute.
Didn't see your post until now (thanks to http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#three_bars). Doh!

You're now probably past 60K miles now. If I were in your shoes, I would've stopped driving your car when you lost CB 3, had it shipped to Phoenix to bake at 100% charge for the rest of the summer.

2012 Leaf:

Lost the first battery bar a few weeks ago at 32521 miles.

Down to around 226 Gids (SOH 84% / Hx 80.22%) at full charge now coming out of Summer, but expect a few back as the weather gets more temperate again.

Typically, driving around central eastern PA (mixed hilly / flat terrain) the dashboard shows 4.2 to 5.1 miles/kWh on each trip. Mostly operated in Eco Mode.

Range to VLBW with a mix of suburban/highway travel with moderated heater or AC use is between 60 to 80 miles.

Winter range to VLBW has been as bad as 40 to 45 miles.

Have used LeafSpy since it first came out and highly recommend it's use, especially for trips that will go close to the limits.

Lifetime L1/L2 charges 2093, QC's 24.

Typically charge on L2 to 100% nightly, scheduled to end within an hour of expected use.

Garaged (unconditioned) at night, exposed parking lot during the day. Try to park in the shade when possible, but not exclusively.

OEM Ecotopia tires (two replaced due to potholes, two are original from factory). Try to keep tire pressure around 42 psi.

Have not had any updates, including P3227.

Aside from tire replacement costs and wiper blades, there have been no other maintenance expenses.

Electricity rates of 0.12/kWh (delivered), non-TOU. Fixed 2-year generation price contract. Driving the Leaf added about $25 per month to the electric bill.

Primarily it is used as a commuter car, 38 miles round trip daily, but is also often used running errands as well. Fits two kids with car seats in the rear nicely.

Perhaps this is a bit more detail then was originally the topic for this thread, but it seemed like a good spot to summarize our experience so far.

We've been very happy with the Leaf these past few years and will most likely look for another EV when the lease is up in February 2016.

Back