160miles 1 day

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMYK4Life

What I did
Drove ~160 miles round trip in Saturday. Starting at 100%
Level 1 charged at destination for 13 hrs.

What I did for 13 hours.
My son and his grandmother bonded
I removed several overgrown bushes and landscape features for grandma and BBQ'd with the family.

How It went on the way home
It was late at night
I had to 'hyper-mile' (little or no traffic).

Lessons Learned
Spend 1-2 hours at a level 2 charger 5 miles away to 'jumpstart' charging. I had more than one chance to do that. On the way in (possible lunch), when we went to the hardware, or when we got charcoal to cook dinner.

Plan for next time
Spend the night
Spend 1-2 hours at a charging station

CMYK4Life said:
Plan for next time
Spend the night
Spend 1-2 hours at a charging station

Also see if grandma's house has a dryer outlet. Get the EVSE upgrade and an adapter and your in business! :)

L1 is painfully slow, as you have learned.

JeremyW said:
Also see if grandma's house has a dryer outlet. Get the EVSE upgrade and an adapter and your in business! :)
Yep, that is the way to go - failing that, Quick220 or build your own Easy240 will get you there, though only at 12-15A instead of up to 24A on a dryer outlet.

Thanks for the feedback guys, all great solutions.

The drier at grandmas is gas; I also do not want to feed a cord through my mothers house.

I refuse to modify my EVSE. I leased the car, maybe if I purchased it. Besides, I cant afford $~300 for anything right now; if I could I wouldnt be spending it on an EVSE upgrade & quick 220... my family and home need it more than my car.

I am not shy about 'charging in public' - I just need a better plan because this one didnt work.

The weather is helping this, but you'll never make that trip in the winter, I'm afraid. Even if you bundle up and eschew heating the battery performs substantially worse in the Michigan cold. 160 in a single day is excellent, though.

When relying on L1 for a long journey.... the hyper mile routine needs to start at mile 1. Not just for the return trip.
And I would pretty much give up the side trips unless you will still have time to get 100% charged.

It is great to hear a story of really streatching the range on L1 ;)

Back