12 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can Google that for you:

Leaf%20battery%20capacity%20loss.jpg

thank you.I do have all 12 bars.My average says 4.4 miles per kw.I have never re-set it since new.Should I be able to get about88 miles per charge at this average.Because 75 is about the limit.

You can be down 15% and still have 12 capacity bars... Considering the age of your car and your location, you almost certainly have some level of battery degradation... Only a Gid meter of some kind will tell you what you really have... Unless you drive slowly and on fairly level terrain, 88 miles is stretching it and I would not be comfortable with that personally.

epic said:
thank you.I do have all 12 bars.My average says 4.4 miles per kw.I have never re-set it since new.Should I be able to get about88 miles per charge at this average.Because 75 is about the limit.

epic said:

Well, 75 is probably about right for two reasons:

1. Your car is over a year old and you live in a fairly hot climate (in summer), so you may very well have lost 10% of your capacity (the first capacity bar is lost at about 15% capacity loss). Battery capacity is lost much faster in hot climates. This loss is permanent.
2. It is winter now, and likely your battery temp is 50 degrees or below (mostly 4 temperature bars) and the battery cannot supply as much energy at lower temperatures (you will likely get some of this back when the temperature warms.)

It would help also to reset your energy meter, you may be driving differently now than the first few months of owning the car, or using the heater, both will have an effect on range if you are now getting, say 3.5 mi/kwh rather than 4.4.

Another indication that you may have some permanent battery degradation due to hot climate is:
When you charge to 80%, do you still get all 10 charge bars? If only 9 when charged to 80% you have some degradation of the battery.

You can tell for sure by measuruing capacity loss. You will need to buy an OBDII ELM bluetooth transmitter (plugs into computer socket in the footwell- $10-20 on Amazon). You will also need the LeafSpy android app and an android phone or tablet with Bluetooth (if you don't have one, the Kyocera Event is about $50 on Walmart.com or Amazon. You don't need to get it activated, so no monthly fees).

Kyocera Event is down to $39 on Amazon (also on walmart.com, but out of stock)
http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Event-Prepaid-Android-Virgin/dp/B00B9K6ESC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387726335&sr=8-1&keywords=kyocera+event+phone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OBDII adapter on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M1AVFQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stjohnh said:
epic said:
thank you.I do have all 12 bars.My average says 4.4 miles per kw.I have never re-set it since new.
It would help also to reset your energy meter, you may be driving differently now than the first few months of owning the car, or using the heater, both will have an effect on range if you are now getting, say 3.5 mi/kwh rather than 4.4.
I agree. Note that you actually have two places you can read that m/kWh efficiency number, though they may disagree slightly. You can reset one and leave the other as a long term average if you wish. I reset the number on the dash (and also one of the trip odometers) every time I fill the battery. That gives me a much better picture of how efficiently I am driving today, and helps explain anomalies. Such as:
  • Oh, oh, look what happened when I had to fight that headwind this morning.
  • Wow! I hit 5.1 average today. I guess driving 40 really does make a difference.

When I had my 2011 I used to reset the number on the center display once every other month. It has that graph of all the recent averages, so I could get a rough idea at any time of how it had gone up and down during the past year.

Ray

stjohnh said:
Kyocera Event is down to $39 on Amazon (also on walmart.com, but out of stock)
http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Event-Prepaid-Android-Virgin/dp/B00B9K6ESC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387726335&sr=8-1&keywords=kyocera+event+phone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OBDII adapter on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M1AVFQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon has the Kyocera Event for $19.99 right now on that link. Only 1 left, and eligible for Amazon Prime...

Back