100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Third 100 mile trip:

I decided to see if I could get 100 miles with my 10% degraded battery (about 59.60 Ah to start, 59.45 Ah this morning) by extending a routine grocery/movie/recycle center run to the "big city". I had to work at it and I managed 101.2 miles. LBW was at 81.5 miles and VLBW was at 100.0 miles, which was also the low Gid reading of 24. Ended with 25 Gids. [I don't want to risk going much below VLBW because I have a bad cell-pair that is 20-30 mV lower than the others and I worry that it might cause my car to shut down prematurely.]

7dqy.jpg

The trip involved more than 3000 cumulative feet of elevation gain with a low of 5400' and a high of 8000' for a net gain of 2600'. I also did more than sixteen miles on dirt roads and had the headlights on for the last forty miles. Starting temperature was 73ºF, high temperature was mid 80s, and ending temperature was 56ºF. Highest speed was 60 mph but the average was, necessarily, much lower than that.

This is probably the last time I will try to do 100 miles in my terrain due to the dropping battery capacity. The previous times I've done 100 miles were both last year:
13 May 2012, 101.3 miles
29 May 2012, 106.8 miles

Three more 100 + mile trips to report, numbers 12, 13, and 14 for my LEAF, of 101.9 miles, 101.9 miles, and 113.3 miles respectively.

The first, 101.9 miles on 7/7/13, was not a good enough match of time/temperatures to post on my range/capacity reports, so I repeated on 8/4 and posted below as an annual report:

...My first test on 9/7/11, ~3,300 miles on the odometer reported on page one of this thread:

91.5 miles to VLB, 93.4 in total, by the odometer, ~177 minutes drive time.

CarWings: 91.1 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 4.9 m/kWh, 18.7 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, ~VLB.

The results from the second test on 8/30/12, ~12,100 miles on odometer, reported on page three of this thread:

97.3 miles to VLB, 98.9 miles in total, by the odometer, ~190 minutes drive time.

CarWings: 96.5 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 5.7 m/kWh, 16.8 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, ~VLBW.

The results from the third test on 8/04/13, ~20,200 miles on odometer, were:

100.3 miles to VLB, 101.9 miles in total, by the odometer, ~193 minutes drive time.

CarWings: 99.4 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 6.3 (dash/CarWings) m/kWh, 15.8 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, ~VLB.

These results are fairly representative of the other ~30 other range test I have done on this same route, as varying with different ambient/battery temperatures, different speeds, and different tire pressures, as well as what I've seen on my regular commute, and on longer trips...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 113.3 miles trip yesterday did (just barely) beat own my previous record on ~the same route, of 112.7 miles (also driving at close to the slowest speeds practicable) posted June 17 2012, on p 40 of this thread, but it was not very satisfying.

I was trying to get a record on this route before cooler weather arrives (I can only get ~95 miles on this route on cold days in the Winter, even at the slowest speeds) so with my tires at ~48 PSI cold, and added another ~7.6 (very beautiful) miles over the Dam, and above Lake Britton to the Cayton Valley, to my usual ~43.7 mile (one way) route to Burney Falls State Park:

Profile excludes the first ~.03 miles. The remaining miles to 113.3 were added by repeating mile ~1.3 to ~mile 5 to initiate the VLB.

I was expecting to be able to drive slow enough to get somewhere between 115 and 120 miles to ~VLB, but the heavy holiday traffic on the return leg on the (55 mph) highway section really hurt, even before the CHP got on my tail...

Oh well, there's always next year.

N1ghtrider said:
michapok said:
Open Letter to the President/CEO/Master of Ceremonies/Archduke of the venerated 100mi club:
Sir, it is with great displeasure that I am writing this to you today. Not for but withstanding wsbsteven's gallant effort in reaching this pinnacle of Leafdom it pains me to bring up that yours truly completed said task on the tenth day of the month of August of the year twenty aught thirteen with naught but a whisper! I have been camped outside HQ for three weeks waiting for you to appear upon the turrets and proclaim with booming thunder that I can take my place in the venerated halls. I trust this will be remedied poste haste!

Tony:

Michapok's accomplishment is why I (erroneously) laid claim to #70, as I assumed you would knight him as #69. Some re-numbering seems to be in order.

Roy

Tony:

Michapok reported his feat on 8/10, which should make him #69, with wsbsteven #70 and wantonsoup 71.

dgpcolorado said:
Third 100 mile trip:

I decided to see if I could get 100 miles with my 10% degraded battery (about 59.60 Ah to start, 59.45 Ah this morning) by extending a routine grocery/movie/recycle center run to the "big city". I had to work at it and I managed 101.2 miles. LBW was at 81.5 miles and VLBW was at 100.0 miles, which was also the low Gid reading of 24. Ended with 25 Gids. [I don't want to risk going much below VLBW because I have a bad cell-pair that is 20-30 mV lower than the others and I worry that it might cause my car to shut down prematurely.]

The trip involved more than 3000 cumulative feet of elevation gain with a low of 5400' and a high of 8000' for a net gain of 2600'. I also did more than sixteen miles on dirt roads and had the headlights on for the last forty miles. Starting temperature was 73ºF, high temperature was mid 80s, and ending temperature was 56ºF. Highest speed was 60 mph but the average was, necessarily, much lower than that.
Very impressive, particularly with the 2600' elevation gain!

edatoakrun said:
The 113.3 miles trip yesterday did (just barely) beat own my previous record on ~the same route, of 112.7 miles (also driving at close to the slowest speeds practicable) posted June 17 2012, on p 40 of this thread, but it was not very satisfying.
Very impressive, Ed!

Can you please tell us what your car reported for mi/kWh for the runs on June 17, 2012, and on yesterday's run (August 31, 2012)? Also, do you think those efficiencies reflect reality? For instance, you mentioned being at 48 PSI yesterday. What was the tire pressure last June? TIA!

RegGuheert said:
edatoakrun said:

...do you think those efficiencies reflect reality?..

You are asking if the m/kWh or distances reflect the same controlled-variable-range/capacity test "reality"?

Short answer, NO.

I'll try for a longer answer, after I recover from the trauma of trying to drive ~35 to 45 mph on ~40 miles of 55 mph two-lane highway (and failing, very inefficiently) without blockading the hoards of ICEV drivers driving ~50 to 70 mph.

I don't think I have ever seen as much traffic on this road (other than weekday commute hours) and I'm sure that I have never as big a crowd at Burney Falls State Park, which was my primary destination.

Incidentally, there was a story in the local paper today about the large influx of Visitors to the North State Parks and NRAs, this weekend, due to the Rim fire in the South Sierra.

Good Day to you all Members of the Esteemed 100 Mile Club!

It is with great fanfare, that me, myself, and I, successfully completed this rare and exulted achievement.

As I know that you all have been showered with the accolades that are accorded within this respected club, I am blessed to know that I can now list myself among this group.

As of the sixth of September, in the year of our lord two-thousand thirteen, I did complete 100.4 miles within my Nissan Leaf. I averaged 5.6 miles per kW-hr and was nearly home with the blasted computer informing me of a very low battery. But I pressed on!

Thank you all for this grand club, I shall await my invitation to the celebratory ball!

NX2001 said:
Thank you all for this grand club, I shall await my invitation to the celebratory ball!

Welcome to the Club, Mr. 72!!!

Sadly, after the embarrassing display by numerous members of drunkeness and some nudity at last year's annual gala, the prospects of a event this year are slim. Thankfully, the judge let everybody off with a warning then, but we can't count of that in the future.

Also, it's sad that I have to say this, but gentlemen are never allowed to use the women's restroom in the Club, no matter who may have soiled the men's restroom. You will find the rest of the Club rules in your locker, where your jacket is also awaiting you.

Again, welcome aboard,

Tony Williams
100 Mile Club Member Emeritus

Been meaning to post this since 8/10 but time seems to escape me sometimes. Anywho, this was done over 3 days of driving over not the most ideal roads (most of the places in southern WV lol). Started with 262 GID ended with 40 GID, not yet into VLBW. Wish we had aimed for 120 miles but will probably do that soon (we usually just charge between 4-10 bars).

Starting GID:

Ending GID:

Ending dash shot (the 5.3mi/kwh is lifetime since we took delivery almost a year ago, now at 5.4):

CW indicated mi/kwh for that e-tank:

Manually calculated mi/kwh based on batt app:

Thanks!!

So I charged my car to 100 percent on Sunday, and have been driving it just in town, climate control off, windows closed, never going over 30 MPH or 3 power dots. So far I still have 56 percent charge and I have gone 50 miles. (I haven't charged it since of course) I think I'm going to make it! If so, will it count if it is over 4 or 5 days, just driving to work and to the store and back? At this rate I should hit 100 miles by Thursday. I don't want to run my battery down that far if it won't count. If It will, I'll post the pic on Thursday or Friday.

jWVWqKbTBoC

OK I did it! I have been driving on the same charge all week. I charged to 100 percent on sunday because I was going to go visit a friend who lives far away. When my charge was finished, the trip was canceled, so I burned off 14 percent running errands on Sunday, and then commuted to work and did daily errands on the rest until now. (Friday evening) I only work 5 miles from home.

Here's the final numbers before I plugged in my EVSE. 101.1 miles trip meter 12% charge remaining, 11 miles on the guess o meter. 5 temp bars (just went up one. It had been sitting on 4 all week) 54 degrees outside air temp. average speed 16.9 mph, 6 hours time elapsed, and 5.7 miles /KWH energy economy. I drove like I always do, except that I just stayed off of the freeways and kept the heat and ac off. I think topping off the battery 2 times in a row to 100 percent before I started helped too.

John

I have ordered a LeafDD which should be here by Friday, so now I think I will have the confidence to invest a half day to do the 100 mile challenge with one charge. I have been thinking of doing a circuit up and down Clairemont Mesa Blvd. in San Diego, about 5.5 miles each way. It is fairly flat and runs past the Mossy Nissan dealership that we purchased it from. I can drive there, 14 miles from home, 100%, then recharge on their 240v EVSE back to 100%. The dealership is almost in the middle of this so I will never be over 3 miles from the EVSE.

On the eastern end of this circuit is I-15. I was thinking that I could recharge to 100%, then go up and down I-15 from I-52 to Friars Road. This is just under 5 miles each way, so about 10 miles R/T. At the north end the dealership is about 2 miles from the freeway.

Not sure when I will do it, but thinking that from midnite some Saturday night until Sunday morning some weekend soon. I will have to make sure the dealer's EVSE is made available to me that Saturday night, maybe even borrow the DCQC key fob that evening so I can recharge in the wee hours of the morning before moving back to the 240v EVSE to top off to 100% before trying the freeway drive.

Now that I think about it, maybe the freeway drive should be first because I will need the lights. By the time I finish recharge to 100% I may not need the lights and on an early Sunday morning Clairemont Mesa Blvd. traffic may not be that bad.

The problem with San Diego is finding flat roads to make the run. We have so many ups and downs that it is hard for us to go anywhere and get back home above 4.5 m/kwh. For part of December we were in the top 100 for Regen Energy in the World Rankings, but now are at 110, as of December 23, but the economy remain at 4.0. Rarely are we below 4, but almost never do we end a trip over 4.5.

Again, thank you so very much for the LeafDD.

Frank

Frank:

I do not understand your plan. It sounds like you are planning on recharging during the 100-mile trek, which is not permitted. If your references to going on I-15 deal with the route you are taking to the starting point of your 100-mile route, then it does not make any difference whether you do that at night or in the daytime, because you will have plenty of charge to reach that point either way.

Having logged more 100-plus mile treks than any other forum member (at least I think that I have), I suggest that you don't try it on the interstate because you will need to go too slow to accomplish that feat. I do almost all of my 100-plus mile ventures over two or three days, just going back and forth to my office and on other errands on suburban roads. (Of course it is completely flat in Florida, so I have an advantage).

Don't be discouraged if you fail the first time. It takes practice to become a hyper-miler. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Did I ever get in the club from the driving I did last october? As somebody who did it, I'd say the best way to make it is during you normal driving over several days. Just take the leaf on short city trips. If you need to go on the interstate during the trial period, take another car.

johnrhansen said:
OK I did it! I have been driving on the same charge all week. I charged to 100 percent on sunday...

Here's the final numbers before I plugged in my EVSE. 101.1 miles trip meter 12% charge remaining, 11 miles on the guess o meter. 5 temp bars (just went up one. It had been sitting on 4 all week) 54 degrees outside air temp. average speed 16.9 mph, 6 hours time elapsed, and 5.7 miles /KWH energy economy. I drove like I always do, except that I just stayed off of the freeways and kept the heat and ac off. I think topping off the battery 2 times in a row to 100 percent before I started helped too.

John

Congratulations, Mr. 74. Only 26 spots remaining in the 100 Mile Club. Your credentials are being beamed to your last known coordinates. Please keep these in a safe place, however, when inside the Club, be ready to show your credentials upon demand by higher ranking (lower numbered) Club members.

During winter, sometimes the steps become slippery at the entrance, but the good news is the newest member is automatically the "Snow & Ice Removal Member"! I trust you will perform your duties in an exemplary manner; congratulations on your appointment.

Once again, on behalf of the entire 100 Mile Club board members and membership at large, welcome to the Club.

Tony Williams
100 Mile Club Member Emeritus

Nightrider, The first run, on the freeway, I plan to just drive laps at different speeds and see how many miles I can get, how many gids it takes for the lap at each speed, etc., then when almost completely empty (the first time ever taking the battery that low), I will recharge to 80% on the DCFC, then move over to the 240v EVSE to get the last 20% up to a full charge. By this time I expect it to be light enough that I do not need the headlights when I start my 100 mile run. If at all possible, I would like to even make the 200k club.

The reason I can not do it over several days is that the highest we have ever gotten on the R/T commute is 4.5 m/kwh. The highest I have ever gotten from home to the freeway (10 minute drive with some up and down with a .5 mile steep downhill) is 10 m/kwh. It is these hills that eat up the efficiency.

As soon as we receive the LeafDD we will start tracking our numbers just to see what we have. Maybe in a week or two I will be ready for the overnight run.

Back