100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reset mine daily to another guide for how well I am doing. over time you will be able to predict within reasonability how well you will do and this can be a clue of possible problems when the #'s are much lower than you expect like losing air pressure, alignment issues, etc.

it can also loosely give you an idea of your useable battery capacity if you take miles driven/ miles/kwh figure it will give you an idea of how many Kwh you burned (burned?? need a better term. the connotation is a bit inappropriate. )

That's a good point. I suppose I never looked at it that way. I reset mine for the first time yesterday. Not sure the next time I'll pass the 100 mark, but it would be interesting to see the collective efficiency. I was amazed at how much I could squeeze from the last two bars. I attempted the 100 mile challenge the last two weekends, but too hot or couldn't take slower routes. It was a little harder than I imagined, but now I know how the car reacts through it's range of charge. I know I can beat the 102 by at least 10.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Awesome.

Too bad it will take 10+ hours to break the record. Its like LeMans...24 hour race, except much slower.
10hrs to go over 150 miles ?? Yeowz. Isn't there about 250 watts parasitic, just from having the ignition turned on? Over that many hours, parasitic loss would be significant enough that you'd shorten your range. Back of the napkin - I'd think 24-ish mph would be as slow as you could drive to get maximum efficiency & avoid parasitic issues . . . and at such a slow speed, things like putting tape over bumps, or lowering, would have no discernable benefit, as there's little air resistence to overcome at that speed. However ... there's a 1% range loss for weight. Empty out the car. Use a driver that weighs less than 100Lbs. Hmmm - I wonder how much that back seat weighs. :D

edatoakrun said:
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan has raised the gauntlet... 188 miles.

I expect 188 miles will be tough to beat.

Until a Utah 2013 MY LEAFer finds themselves in the high desert on a hot day with ~12 hours to kill, pumps their tires up, and tries for 200 miles...

Yeah right! They can do all that, but they'll be lucky to get 150. There's a lot more involved for top efficiency than that. When I drove 151 mi. last yr., it was with a 11% loss of cap.

Wow! congrats on the 188! I felt special for finally achieving 102 this last weekend. I've got to ask. Living in AZ what measures do you take to curb batt degradation? That's pretty cool that the highest ranged Leaf is from the area with the highest battery decline.

supra410 said:
That's pretty cool that the highest ranged Leaf is from the area with the highest battery decline.

It's an ideal situation for battery performance, not long life. The only significant improvement I could make would be to make the same drive in Salt Lake City or Boise (higher elevation, can be brutal hot, lots of flat terrain).

supra410 said:
Wow! congrats on the 188! I felt special for finally achieving 102 this last weekend. I've got to ask. Living in AZ what measures do you take to curb batt degradation? That's pretty cool that the highest ranged Leaf is from the area with the highest battery decline.

Thanks supra. It's a 3 month old/2800-mile 2013 with about 3-4% degradation. Last May I drove my 2011, 151 miles/8.4m/kW h on one charge during an Efficiency Rally which had at least 11% degradation. I improved my efficiency due to lower CC speed and the more efficient LEAF. It will be interesting to compare degradation between the two cars. I lost my first capacity bar late last June and 10k miles.

My LEAF got # 10, 108.7 miles on 5/11, and # 11, 112.2 miles on 6/2, both to just past the VLBW.

Close to 19,000 miles now, and still no significant loss of range from when I stated testing with a few k miles on my LEAF 21 months ago.

I'm using the LEAF app while I drive now, with some interesting results...

Catching up from p 56 of this thread:

="edatoakrun" 110.0 odometer miles yesterday, to just past the VLBW.

That's (IIRC) my ninth 100+ mile range test, and second only to the 112.7 I got on 6/18/12, with both higher battery and ambient temps.

This trip is routine for me now, and the only noteworthy variable was the increase from ~42 lbs tire pressure to the ~46 lbs (which I added prior to my ~690 mile trip to the Bay area a few weeks back) seems to have produced ~ a 4% increase in range, more than I anticipated.

I can really seem to feel every bump in the road (~9 miles of this route is off-pavement) at that pressure, so I'm not sure whether I'll keep it that high in the future.

Still no significant loss of range for my ~17,600 mile LEAF since I began range testing in the Summer of 2011, despite the 12.65 % reported loss of capacity:

="Turbo3"

edatoakrun here is the picture I took of your battery state at Saturday's BayLeaf meeting...

p1010171o.jpg

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA wrote:

1)your SOC value reported here is true SOC of the pack which means nearly 100% ?

2) your increase in efficiency of 4% is not likely to be fully attributable to your TP increase.

3) sorry I dont know this but what mechanism is telling you you have a 12.65% loss?

LEAFfan
66 AH equals 100% BCAP. So Ed's car shows 87.45% CAP (top right on App screen) which is a 12.65% loss. He may lose a bar this summer.

I thought that was almost a sure thing until recently:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8765&start=270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any more of a direct correspondence to actual capacity loss, in what the app is picking up on my LEAF, than there are from gids or capacity bars from many LEAFs when they have been tested by range or recharge capacity.

Dave, as to the large ~4% increase in range I seemed to get from higher tire pressure, remember this is a relatively slow-speed run, as are all the trips on this thread of over 100 miles on a charge. When you subtract most of the atmospheric braking from the energy use equation, the percentage of total energy lost to rolling resistance from the tires should be expected to rise proportionally, right? I believe I'm seeing a much smaller percentage increase in efficiency and range, in my (typically) higher-speed driving.

What tire pressure and what tires were you running to get 188 miles, LEAFfan?

edatoakrun said:
Close to 19,000 miles now, and still no significant loss of range from when I stated testing with a few k miles on my LEAF 21 months ago.
edatoakrun said:
Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any more of a direct correspondence to actual capacity loss
range != capacity

Let me know when you start measuring energy from the wall to recharge from any of dead, turtle, VLBW, LBW to 80% and/or 100% to validate your results.

Tires definitely get more efficient as they age and wear out - not to mention that as they wear the introduce odometer reading errors leading one to believe they traveled farther than they actually did.

If you want to discuss this further - start a new thread and we'll take it on there.

Submitting for approval ... after 3 tries, 4 time's a charm. 104.2 miles on a single charge. It started Sunday @public charger at the library. I charged to about 95% aka just shy of 100% while conducting a Scout committee meeting. When I got out the GOM showed 98 miles so I figured I could try it again. When I arrived at the next stop which was taking my son to play Warhammer, the GOM read 114 miles. I reset the dash and CW at the start of the month so the m/kWh were a day and a half old when I started. Since Sunday, CW m/kWh increased from 5.6 to 6.0. Dash currently shows 5.8 m/kWh. Monday was to work, home for lunch, back to work, home, halfway to Scout meeting, back home for the coolers that my wife forgot, back to the Scout meeting and then home. This trip passed the library where I started. Today, home to work, to Wendy's, to work, to fiddling around the neighborhood from 98 miles to final 104 miles when VLB chimed. Elevation changes were about 500 feet in delta but always returned to the starting elevation. Dash avg speed is 26 mph. Speed limits on most of the roads were 35-45 and I drove about 35-40 except where limit was 25 mph.

Attachments

• destination.jpg
    destination.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 46
  • target.jpg
    target.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 46
  • getting close.jpg
    getting close.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 46
ksnogas2112 said:
Submitting for approval ... after 3 tries, 4 time's a charm.
Well done, congrats! I have fond memories of KC. It wasn't as much freeway driving as we commonly see in California.

drees said:
edatoakrun said:
edatoakrun said:
Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any more of a direct correspondence to actual capacity loss
range != capacity...

Range in a test with all variables well-controlled does show capacity with reasonable accuracy, IMO.

You can go to this thread to see how how to do it:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speed controlled with timed checkpoints, both battery and ambient temperatures controlled, driver efficiency (largely) controlled by the regeneration kWh reports from Carwings.

There are other variable like wind and traffic that cannot be controlled, but the imprecision this "noise" causes can be seen when the range test is repeated dozens of times.

="drees"...Let me know when you start measuring energy from the wall to recharge from any of dead, turtle, VLBW, LBW to 80% and/or 100% to validate your results.

See my post a few weeks before your last post here:

drees said:
VLBW (23 gid) to 80%, 4h4m, 15.23 kWh

Didn't charge from 80% to 100% this time, but the last 3 80-100% charges have been in the range of 3.6-4.0 kWh.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6876&start=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been monitoring recharge capacity by several methods over the last ~21 months, and as I posted below on another thread this AM, these are the updated results including that last 112.2 mile test:

edatoakrun said:
..As I've posted a few times before on this thread, I think a recharge time test from the VLBW to "80%" might be a simple and fairly accurate test of available capacity for LEAFs. You might want to give it a try.

My results:

="edatoakrun"Another ~VLBW to "80%" timed charge result to post.

Following my 4/2/13 range test, it took ~4 hours and 14 minutes to recharge, after a reported 15.7 kWh use.

This compares with:

..16 amp 240v recharge (following the 9/8/12 range test)....took ~4 hours and 16 minutes to reach 80% (and another one hour and 11 minutes to reach “100%”) following this trip...(after a reported 16.7 kWh used).

This compares to a recharge time of ~4 hours 25 minutes to reach “80%” following my first range test, on 9/7/11, with a reported 18.7 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, ~VLBW.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, assuming a constant charge rate to "80%", and that "80%" is a constant percentage of total battery capacity, both of which seem to be largely accepted, I think this is further evidence that my LEAF's available battery capacity has not declined very significantly since 9/7/11, and the kWh use reports from CW, which are used to calculate both my dash and nav screen m/kWh, are probably significantly lower than actual, as is also my conclusion from the range tests results.

I expect that the lower capacity and lower charging efficiency of my ~50 f battery (as opposed to the ~75 F battery during the 2011 and 2012 Summer tests) both had some effects on the charge time after the 4/2/13 range test, so I think those results are not as definitive as those I'll be able to collect once the weather heats up to "summer" conditions...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6876&start=200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not quite "Summer" temps yet, but I did get a recharge time of ~4 hours and 19 minutes @ ~238 V (Clipper Creek-voltage from the charge cable terminals) to recharge to "80%" from just below the VLBW (~40 watts below, according to the battery app) following my last 112.2 mile range/capacity test on Sunday...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=30&p=298599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, my recharge tests tend to corroborate my range tests, which show little loss of capacity since a few months after delivery

="drees"...Tires definitely get more efficient as they age and wear out - not to mention that as they wear the introduce odometer reading errors leading one to believe they traveled farther than they actually did.

My odometer is checked by mapping and has also remained ~constant on the same routes from new, so tire wear is not a factor. Yes, both improved drivetrain efficiency and aging (stiffer) tires have probably slightly increased my LEAFs efficiency over time, as I have stated many times before.

="drees"...If you want to discuss this further - start a new thread and we'll take it on there.

Seems to me there are plenty of threads on these subjects already.

Don't you think you could manage to comment on one of those threads I cited above?

Back