0-60 Time?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I timed my 0-60 at 9 seconds. with inaccuracies in my timing my car's speedo and the ground I was doing it on I can easily see 9.5 to 9.7 being about right.

and yeah 0-30 is REALLY nice. which is really what 99% of us really need and want even if we don't realize it.

I have been gently since I only have L1 charging but once I have L2 I plan to be bit more spritely now and then just because its so much damned fun.

and 9 seconds is NOT low performance. it is higher performance than the VAST majority of the cars on the road today.

how many consumer cars do 0-90 faster? proportion of those cars on the road today?

I currently own 6 cars including the leaf. I have owned over a dozen cars. I HAVE NEVER had a car that fan do 0-60 this fast till the leaf my 88 Cherokee was close 9.9 seconds 0-60.

The longer I drive my Leaf the worse the 0-30 acceleration seems. That lag of about a full second when you floor the Go pedal really starts to bug you after a while. They could make the power ramp-up time *much* shorter and still preserve the drivetrain.

I wonder how it feels when you floor a NISMO-chipped Leaf...

We are all forgetting that 0-60 runs aren't what (most of us) do every day. My first electric vehicle, a Mitsubishi i-MiEV, did 0-60 in around 12 seconds. That sounds incredibly slow. However, for my in-city driving, that was more than adequate. Instant torque makes changing lanes and merging in the city a joy. Even the slow 0-60 times weren't a problem merging onto the highway. You just have to be aware of the amount of time needed to get to speed and compensate.

My new LEAF is much faster than my i-MiEV, but I really haven't had much need to go faster than the i-MiEV was capable of. Is it fun to go fast? Yep. But in city-only driving, the opportunities to do that (and not be a complete a-hole) are quite limited. :lol:

No, I'm not forgetting, but that "instant lag" my car has before letting the torque run free affects lots of everyday driving. I don't much care about 0-60, but 0-45 matters for a lot of driving.

nerys said:
and 9 seconds is NOT low performance. it is higher performance than the VAST majority of the cars on the road today.

how many consumer cars do 0-90 faster? proportion of those cars on the road today?

I read you have Geo Metros as your other cars so you might be biased a bit but minivans these days have ~7 second 0-60 times. ;)

The Leaf is actually closer to 10 seconds... And the vast majority of cars on the road today can easily beat that...

nerys said:

I challenge that assertion. I would be surprised if more than 25% of the cars on the road could do 0-60 faster.

Sure as heck none of my minivans can do that. :)

When I was growing up I used to love to drive our station wagon. It was a Plymouth Sport Suburban, and had a 383 V-8, although only a 2 barrel carb. It still had gobs of power. Its 0-60 time was about 10 seconds. I also loved my 1986 gen I Civic Si (except for the damned rainwater leak). It was very Sporty, and could out-drag the 1995 Civic EX (with 30 more HP) that replaced it. It did 0-60 in about 10.2 seconds. Thus I agree that 0-60 times shouldn't define the Fun Factor of a car. I do however still think the Gen II Leaf has way too much acceleration lag when you first floor it. I'd trade a full second more at the top end of 0-60 for 3/4 of a second less in the 0-20 time, because that was what made the Civic and Plymouth so much fun to floor: they responded instantly.

I counted 9.23 seconds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YvRcIJWVgQ[/youtube]

Side by side with my Crown Vic P71:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznY8T4jjcM[/youtube]

From car and driver:

"The most frequently used metric to measure a vehicle's performance -- how fast it can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph -- has dropped dramatically since 1975, according to the EPA. In 1975, the average vehicle took 14.1 seconds to hit 60 mph from a standstill. But by 2010, the time had dropped to 9.5 seconds, an improvement of 33 percent. In 2013, it was down to 8.7 seconds."

Most of the car magazines have the Leaf 0 to 60 time at around the high nines (9.7 to 9.9)...

nerys said:
I challenge that assertion. I would be surprised if more than 25% of the cars on the road could do 0-60 faster.

They used 1975, which was at the height (nadir?) of the industry's struggle to implement new emission and bumper rules as cheaply as possible, to get a dramatic contrast. Back then you had many, many cars with too-tall final gearing, fuel systems that ran too lean and provided too little air/fuel volume, and three speed slushboxes on most vehicles.

You have failed to validate your assertion

The difference bwtween 8.7 and 9.2 is quite literally irrelevant to 99.999999% of drivers out their.

To get 9.2 ish simply creep first then hammer it. The self imposed electronic lag is largely removed.

LeftieBiker said:
The longer I drive my Leaf the worse the 0-30 acceleration seems. That lag of about a full second when you floor the Go pedal really starts to bug you after a while. They could make the power ramp-up time *much* shorter and still preserve the drivetrain.
I wonder how it feels when you floor a NISMO-chipped Leaf...
I had been feeling like the accel on the LEAF had deteriorated but attributed it to getting used to the accel of the Tesla. Over the last 6 mos my wife mentioned it seemed a little less quick and then my son said the same last month.
So, I put it to the CAN-bus test. I repeated my same 0-60 run I did in Aug 2011. Same course, tires at 38 psi. Same tire brand (Ecopias) but these have about 2k more miles on them.
When I did the run, the 0-60 time felt longer by about a sec. But when I plotted the data I was surprised to see my LEAF had gotten faster! 0-30 overlays very nicely and I don't make much of the 0.3 sec diff in this measurement. One possible difference is this time I had nearly a full charge but 3+ years ago I know it was about 1/2 to 2/3 charged.
It's clearly not slower now though. The main thing is the seat of the pants technique is very subjective. Just because it feels less-quick, it ain't necessarily so.
Details: My LEAF was built 4 years ago. Purchased 46 mos ago. I'm a 1-bar loser with 34k mi.

SparkyLEAF_0-60_Compare.png
[/url]

I think we have a misunderstanding here: I don't think, and wasn't claiming, that my car has gotten slower. I meant that the lag becomes more of an annoyance over time, not that it has gotten longer.

Back