Electric4Me
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Spare tire down under!

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Hey folks,
this just surprised me! I sold a Leaf QR Hitch to a customer in Australia and I was quite surprised to learn that the Aussie market Leaf comes equipped with a spare tire!! It has no plastic diffuser cover over that area so the spare tire is readily accessible. Here are some pics he sent me (and said I could post):

Another customer in the UK told me that his Leaf does not have the spare (and does have the plastic diffuser cover). I wonder what other market(s) may have the spare? Presumably it's there due to Australian regulations...

FWIW, he's trying to make the hitch & spare compatible with each other, but may end up putting the spare in the trunk. I'll report back when he's finished.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

HairyCairy
Delivery Date: 06 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 007602

Re: Spare tire down under!

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Bill thanks again for the hitch, it went on easy peazy, the longest part was fishing the bolts into frame. But with a little U2 on it became a fun challenge.
I really like the spare down under. I wonder if there is any ordering info for it.
Your quick release hitch could easily mount a tire like this with a couple tiny modifications. Then it would be a quick release spare tire. I would buy that from you too.

TonyWilliams

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Interesting way to do it. I'd love to see how they drop that tire!!

GRA

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:05 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Interesting way to do it. I'd love to see how they drop that tire!!
No idea, but on my dad's '76 Peugeot the front end of the carrier was hinged, so once you released the catch you lowered the rear end to the ground and pulled/slid the tire off the carrier. This one would appear to require a certain amount of lifting as well, to clear the 'eyes' at the rear corners.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Electric4Me wrote:Hey folks,
this just surprised me! I sold a Leaf QR Hitch to a customer in Australia and I was quite surprised to learn that the Aussie market Leaf comes equipped with a spare tire!! It has no plastic diffuser cover over that area so the spare tire is readily accessible.
This is very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

What would you have to remove from the US spec Leaf to get space for the spare? I looked under my Leaf and there is no way there is spare room... something's gotta go to get that extra space...

Another note: I wonder if Nissan ever close up the "gap" in the rear area above the license plate holder on the Aussie spec Leaf?

remf
Delivery Date: 25 Jun 2012

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Electric4Me wrote:Hey folks,
this just surprised me! I sold a Leaf QR Hitch to a customer in Australia and I was quite surprised to learn that the Aussie market Leaf comes equipped with a spare tire!! It has no plastic diffuser cover over that area so the spare tire is readily accessible...Another customer in the UK told me that his Leaf does not have the spare (and does have the plastic diffuser cover). I wonder what other market(s) may have the spare? Presumably it's there due to Australian regulations...

FWIW, he's trying to make the hitch & spare compatible with each other, but may end up putting the spare in the trunk. I'll report back when he's finished.
Hey Bill, first off your hitch is excellent! On top of that 1st class after sales service, I'll have that nut sorted out! I wonder too if Australia is the only market with the spare? Certainly must be due to our road regulations, never seen a car here without one.

I've tried to figure out a way to make the hitch & the spare compatible. Even though the spare is compact - a Maxxis T125/90 D1698M - road clearance will be a major issue if the spare is placed over the top of the hitch.
HairyCairy wrote:I really like the spare down under. I wonder if there is any ordering info for it.
Your quick release hitch could easily mount a tire like this with a couple tiny modifications. Then it would be a quick release spare tire. I would buy that from you too.
Not sure if the spare wheel kit can be ordered outside of Australia. You'd need the original brackets, hub spacer, basket and spare wheel pictured here.

GRA wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:Interesting way to do it. I'd love to see how they drop that tire!!
No idea, but on my dad's '76 Peugeot the front end of the carrier was hinged, so once you released the catch you lowered the rear end to the ground and pulled/slid the tire off the carrier. This one would appear to require a certain amount of lifting as well, to clear the 'eyes' at the rear corners.
Yes the basket is hinged. Loosen the bracket bolt inside the boot compartment, under the plastic cover and you can lift & unhinge the basket then slide the spare out.
mxp wrote:What would you have to remove from the US spec Leaf to get space for the spare? I looked under my Leaf and there is no way there is spare room... something's gotta go to get that extra space...

Another note: I wonder if Nissan ever close up the "gap" in the rear area above the license plate holder on the Aussie spec Leaf?
I think you would only have to remove the diffuser but you would have to add the spare mounting brackets & spacer as well as the basket pictured above.

The gap above the license plate holder is there on the Aussie model too! Not sure why?
Last edited by remf on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyWilliams

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:21 am

remf wrote:Not sure if the spare wheel kit can be ordered outside of Australia. You'd need the original brackets, hub spacer, basket and spare wheel pictured here.....

I think you would only have to remove the diffuser but you would have to add the spare mounting brackets & spacer as well as the basket pictured above.

The gap above the license plate holder is there on the Aussie model too! Not sure why?
I just cut a hole in the rear air diffuser. The spare tire hardware is available in UK, and I even priced it out. Quite a bit different than this Aussie version, as the tire was designed to fit in the boot.

The gap above the plate is the only place in the body to release cabin pressure from the two rear outflow valves.

Spare tire stuff

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:05 am

I just added a spare to my Leaf, this thread shows how i did it:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fenix Power Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement - LEAF 380 / LEAF380

For more info click here: http://LEAF380.com

DownUnderLeaf
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2012

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:47 am

There is a bolt in the trunk/hatch that you screw to loosen the cage around the spare and it then simply unhooks from the brackets holding it in. I unfortunately had the pleasure of needing to use the spare a few weeks ago.

However when I purchased the car the dealer told me it would be easier to call road side assist than to change the spare myself, maybe he didn't know how to get it out? :))

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:50 am

Maybe I should have done mine like that. Unscrew it from inside and let it drop. I guess I can still do that if I want.
Fenix Power Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement - LEAF 380 / LEAF380

For more info click here: http://LEAF380.com

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”