Poll : Nissan Weighs Three Choices for Next Electric Car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which EV do you think Nissan will produce ?

• Pivo : A 3-Seater urban car

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Townpod : A small utility vehicle

Votes: 66 38.2%
  • Esflow : An electric sports car vvv

Votes: 98 56.6%

• Total voters

evnow

http://www.plugincars.com/tokyo-nissan-weighs-three-choices-next-electric-car-110614.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is, until I ran into Mark Perry, Nissan’s electric car guy for the Americas, who cautioned me to take another look at the “zero-emissions” concepts on the Nissan stage. “These are not pure design fantasies,” said Mark. “One of these three will definitely go into production, and all of them have an equal chance.”

Mark pointed to these three electric vehicles: the Pivo3, a tiny three-seat urban commuter with crazy pivoting wheels; the Townpod small utility vehicle; and the sleek Esflow electric sports car that promises zero-to-sixty-two in less than five seconds. He turned to me and asked, “Which would you put into production?”

Pivo : A 3-Seater urban car

PIVO3-006-620.jpg

Townpod : A small utility vehicle

townpod-620-side-open.jpg

Esflow : An electric sports car

esflow-620-wide.jpg

Mark reminded me that Nissan has committed to making and selling four distinct all-electric models, and three of the slots are taken—by the LEAF compact; an upcoming Infiniti mid-size EV; and a small commercial delivery truck. “We’re aiming to have 1.5 million cumulative Nissan electric cars on the road by 2015 or 2016. Which one of these will bring the highest volume?
Which one would you want, and why ? Which EV do you think Nissan will produce, and why ?

Herm said:
The Esflow of course, but the looks will be tamed down and hopefully head room increased a bit.
Is that what you want them to produce or what you think they will ?

I Think they will do the ES because they are too conservative. The first car is very cool and would make a great city car. My guess is the ES will also be too costly as rebates will be gone and the car will already carry a premium. I believe there will be a huge market for small high-performance micro cars in the future, fun and practical toys.

evnow said:
Herm said:
The Esflow of course, but the looks will be tamed down and hopefully head room increased a bit.

both.. but only if they use 100% Leaf mechanics, including the trailing link rear suspension. Ditch the Clarion radio.

I like the TownPod best. But I'd like more window in the back. I like the styling and size.

But, Nissan will likely produce the sports car instead. They will get more media attention with it.

Randy3 said:
But, Nissan will likely produce the sports car instead. They will get more media attention with it.
But according to Mark they want high volume - not a Halo car.

I think a well done Townpod has the potential to have a higher volume than even Leaf, given the US/EU preference for more utilitarian vehicles.

It has to be Townpod of Esflow. The Pivo is just too "unusual". I sorta have a very slight preference for Townpod, but that's because of my unnatural penchant for smaller cars. I think the Esflow would be better for American mass consumption.

High volume is likely to require a lower-priced car, not a higher-priced cool-looking sports car.

The three-wheel "enclosed motorcycle" is unlikely to appeal to many, unless it has extraordinary range.

Basically a volume market is probably a price/e-performance driven marketplace.

The ESFLOW is a no-brainer for the car that I want to see built. So far, no other company has made an affordable sports EV that you can buy. To me, the performance characteristics of electric motors, combined with their packaging advantages for optimal weight distribution and the ability to place the batteries low in the chassis make a sports EV a natural choice. It would also be a great halo product for the Nissan brand, like the Z car is now.

But I realize that there has to be a good business case for any new EV. Most of the other makers of affordable EVs, like Ford and Honda, are hedging by offering low volume, limited production or lease-only EVs, except for BMW, which seems to be heading into the EV business with commitment. Everyone else besides Nissan and Tesla is prepping their first EV for the market. Nissan is looking at their second and third models with the Infiniti EV sedan and this next Nissan model. The LEAF is a pretty good fit for the mainstream and city car markets. To me, this is a perfect time for a sports EV from Nissan.

I gotta think it would be the Townpod, remodeled to be more mainstream. I'd look for a future LEAF to hold the same before-rebate price level, but gain range and luxury features, and for a Townpod descendent to occupy the LEAF's current after-rebate price level (or less) and have a city car type range.

Herm said:
evnow said:
Herm said:

both.. but only if they use 100% Leaf mechanics, including the trailing link rear suspension. Ditch the Clarion radio.

The LEAF's rear suspension is a torsion beam axle. My understanding is that this type of rear suspension is inferior to an independent rear suspension as far as handling is concerned, and it is likely one cause of the LEAF's mediocre handling. I think that it is typically used in front wheel drive models where cost and perhaps weight are the main concerns. The ESFLOW would be a rear drive design with twin motors, one for each rear wheel. I doubt that would be compatible with a beam axle. What is it about the current LEAF suspension that makes you want to see it in a sports model?

I think there will be some overlap between TownPod & Leaf. Both are kind of utilitarian - but TownPod will probably have better utility for people with kids (likely larger cargo space etc).

Ofcourse the production TownPod will be different compared to the concept. I'm all for Avant Garde designs - so would like to actually own these kinds of concepts - but, unfortunately, majority of US buyers want conventional looking vehicles.

While ESFlow at Miata prices will probably have a good market - that is unlikely to materialize. I think ESFlow would have to be priced close to Infiniti EV - $50K. That means a rather limited Halo car with a thousand or so sold every month in 5 years (when Leaf might be selling 10K or so).

Ofcourse, I prefer that all cars be made - instead of just one of the 3 distinctly different cars.

What is the TownPod that the Leaf is not?

Other than way more concept-y.

It doesn't look much bigger than a Leaf, and it's not an SUV or crossover unless it has AWD, and that would really hurt the range.

Variety is good, so I'd generally lean for the more the better, a salable version of all three. the Esflow has the advantage of being very eye catching, a bit different but a sexy sports car at it's core, potentially a mass produced car able to prove the stamina of EV's, along the lines of the Roadster but more affordable. As for the others looking more space age, I think maybe people are more ready for a radical divergence from the norm than we think. It would be interesting to see if high tech would sell. Once Ev's have become accepted, I think there is going to be a desire by owners to stand out more than the current Leaf does. As much as the Leaf gets noticed, It's typically by people who already have their eye out for it. a huge number of people are oblivious to the EV revolution that is occurring and are being passed right by without even knowing it.

garygid said:
High volume is likely to require a lower-priced car, not a higher-priced cool-looking sports car.

but if you can do both then you replicate the hugely popular pony cars of the late 60s.. the kids today are very green and they dont care much for high performance.. thats why I think Leaf mechanicals will do nicely if you boost the motor a bit and drop a few hundred pounds.

True. The only advantage to a torsion beam axle is that it is cheap. From a handling, braking, and ride standpoint, they suck!

Boomer23 said:
The LEAF's rear suspension is a torsion beam axle. My understanding is that this type of rear suspension is inferior to an independent rear suspension as far as handling is concerned, and it is likely one cause of the LEAF's mediocre handling.

I watched this on YouTube a few weeks ago regarding these three candidates. Of particular interest is Bancons description of the next EV (4th in line after Leaf, Infinity, NV) will be a Nissan "signature" vehicle. Funny, but when Nissan say's "signature" I hear "performance". His final statement about a production year target for the winner is a little disappointing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpO2M1yo-4&feature=youtube_gdata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my mind it is not really a contest with the ESFlow winning. My reasoning (and desire) is in perfect alignment with Nissans. With the Zero Emission program, Nissan knows they have more of a perception problem than a performance problem. The public perception of EV's is that they are slow, ugly and don't go far enough (enough is subjective). With Mark Perry recently declaring that current LEAF range is adequate, the path was cleared for the ESFLow. If Nissan is not going to chase a subjective (and expensive) range "perception" problem, they are now free to completely blow the other two perception issues right out of the water; speed and looks, for free! Nissan is not trying to introduce EV's now, they are here to plant the EV flag by introducing a new type of performance car that could ONLY be electric. A "signature" if you will. To be crystal clear, 400+ lbs of instant thrust vectored torque in a very low CG, sexy Miata sized car is the ultimate game changer, just like EV's are trying to be in the first place. This is the very definition of synergy. Very important when spooling up a new technology and creating the right public perception.

Back