Tein "Street Basis" coilovers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nader

So I startest searching some of the Japanese suspension manufacturers websites last night (Tein, Tanabe, Greddy, etc) and guess what I found? Tein makes coilovers for the Leaf! I have reached out to Tein USA to check availability. If not I have lined up a few places in Japan that will ship to the US. The Street Basis product line retails for about $700-950 normally and to buy from japan would be about 1200 shipped. I bet we could get a group buy going to show Tein that there is interest in bringing the product stateside. The Street Basis coilovers should be perfect for most. It's a non-adjustable damper with a threaded body to allow ride height adjustability.

Tein Street Basis
Leaf ZE0 chassis
GSK32-11AS2

Here are few links to keep you occupied until I hear back from Tein

R&D video of Tein Leaf coilovers:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Bb8ni0_24[/youtube]

Few links to Japanese sites:
http://www.tein.co.jp/search/search1.cgi?act=ITEM&item=STBN&make=NISSAN&lang=en
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/t-rc/10041674/

Good find! Thanks! The wheels on the test vehicle, are they 17" ? The wheel offset doesn't look great tho... they look too far in. I suppose the techs don't want any risk of rubbing when lowered.

I hope see some test reviews on this soon.

I was trying to look for a tire size couldn't see anything in the video. I think they are 18". I agree that offset is totally wrong. I would almost venture to say that this car needs 19's. At least in the back. You need something to balance out those big hips. However, proper offset wheels can do a lot to the stance of the vehicle. I am trying to get a set of these on my car as soon as possible so I can start playing with wheel and tire combinations.

nader said:
I was trying to look for a tire size couldn't see anything in the video. I think they are 18". I agree that offset is totally wrong. I would almost venture to say that this car needs 19's. At least in the back. You need something to balance out those big hips. However, proper offset wheels can do a lot to the stance of the vehicle. I am trying to get a set of these on my car as soon as possible so I can start playing with wheel and tire combinations.

So far, I still like the Pikes Peak Leaf wheel/tire stance. Anyways, I found a write-up about this product. I don't understand much of it, but I figure you would:

The NEW Tein Street Basis
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=1139

Good stuff! I like that wheel choice but the offset is, well... off. Can't wait to hear more about the setup.

I'm definitely interested in the Street Basis coilovers.

FWIW - I sent an email to TireRack the other day asking about wheel fitment for the LEAF. Said they need to measure a car - not sure where the car needs to be to have measurements taken, but they are in Indiana.

Heard back from Tein this afternoon. They have one set of coilovers for test fitment and no car. Of course I offered to loan them my car. I'll keep you posted. Not knowing a firm sales price but k owing that it should be under $1,000, I'd like to gauge interest to show them that they need to bring these to market sooner than later.

Nader

nader said:
Heard back from Tein this afternoon. They have one set of coilovers for test fitment and no car. Of course I offered to loan them my car.
They're in Downey, right? Do they have any other offices? Should be plenty of people in the LA area who can stop by. 85 miles to their Downey office from here - would have to keep speeds below 60 mph to make it there. Fres-yes(sic) is quite a bit further away. :p If they'd send me some I'd be happy to test fit them in my garage. :)

I could stop by if they need a car to work with...

drees said:
nader said:
Heard back from Tein this afternoon. They have one set of coilovers for test fitment and no car. Of course I offered to loan them my car.
They're in Downey, right? Do they have any other offices? Should be plenty of people in the LA area who can stop by. 85 miles to their Downey office from here - would have to keep speeds below 60 mph to make it there. Fres-yes(sic) is quite a bit further away. :p If they'd send me some I'd be happy to test fit them in my garage. :)

I will be test fitting a set of KSport coilovers in the next week. They will be in the same price range but will have adjustable damping. I am not interested in an aftermarket shock that does not have adjustable damping. I would like to be able to tweak the rate a little to tune out the bounciness in the rear we have stock. I will be putting up a new/separate thread after we have them on my car.

Skywagon said:
I will be test fitting a set of KSport coilovers in the next week. They will be in the same price range but will have adjustable damping. I am not interested in an aftermarket shock that does not have adjustable damping. I would like to be able to tweak the rate a little to tune out the bounciness in the rear we have stock. I will be putting up a new/separate thread after we have them on my car.

How much are the typical installation costs for all four corners, installed with wheel alignment?

mxp said:
Skywagon said:

How much are the typical installation costs for all four corners, installed with wheel alignment?

I'm not for sure as I have always done my own work and alignments. I do know most places can charge $50-$80 or so for an alignment but the LEAF only needs a front wheel (2-wheel) alignment as the rear is a beam axle. So it should be cheaper. And as far as the install, the rears are easy because of the separate shock and spring on the beam axle. The fronts are McPherson struts and will need a spring compressor, if a new top hat is not included with the new coilovers. I would guess install costs to be around $100 or so... but I am just guessing and you would need to check with your preferred shop.

Skywagon said:
Cool - looks like we'll have 2 different coil-over options available for the LEAF very soon! Any idea what kind of spring rates will be standard?

drees said:
Skywagon said:
Cool - looks like we'll have 2 different coil-over options available for the LEAF very soon! Any idea what kind of spring rates will be standard?

Until we have some time with the system on the car there will be minimal details. We may tweak it a little based on how it rides/handles.

Skywagon said:
Until we have some time with the system on the car there will be minimal details. We may tweak it a little based on how it rides/handles.
Subscribed. Thank you for taking this on. Please post with a link to the new thread--tweaks and all.

Skywagon said:
mxp said:
Skywagon said:

I'm not for sure as I have always done my own work and alignments. I do know most places can charge $50-$80 or so for an alignment but the LEAF only needs a front wheel (2-wheel) alignment as the rear is a beam axle. So it should be cheaper. And as far as the install, the rears are easy because of the separate shock and spring on the beam axle. The fronts are McPherson struts and will need a spring compressor, if a new top hat is not included with the new coilovers. I would guess install costs to be around $100 or so... but I am just guessing and you would need to check with your preferred shop.

Ok. Understood.

I suppose you won't be able to send us a web linky just yet, to these KSport coilovers (model numbers etc) since you're getting a configuration tested for us on the Leaf platform right?

I too, like the idea of adjustable damping; so perhaps what would be a "nice to have" is say; lowest setting = better than stock handling, middle setting = optimal sport/street driving, highest setting = track usage.

mxp said:
Ok. Understood.

I suppose you won't be able to send us a web linky just yet, to these KSport coilovers (model numbers etc) since you're getting a configuration tested for us on the Leaf platform right?

I too, like the idea of adjustable damping; so perhaps what would be a "nice to have" is say; lowest setting = better than stock handling, middle setting = optimal sport/street driving, highest setting = track usage.

There is no part number assigned just yet until they have been tested on the car. The damping adjustments are more to fine tune the car for the ride you prefer, not necessarily a street/track/etc. setting. You could stiffen the damping up for a more firm/spirited/better turn-in ride but how the car is will be different depending on who you will ask and what they are looking for.

I will leave this thread alone as this is enough discussion on the other option until I start a dedicated thread... I did not mean to invade into this thread.

Did anyone figure out what wheels were on the LEAF in the OP? I love the gunmetal finish and dia... offset not as much. They are definitely 18 min if not 19's. That is a VERY low profile tire. Very curious about looking up the weight on them.

My thought on adjustable dampers for 99% of people is that they will be driving around with them misadjusted most of the time. I have tried it both ways and I would venture to say that most Leaf owners would be better off with what the suspension manufacturer designs. I'll wait until I get a set of the Teins before I pass judgement on their shock tuning but the Street Basis line is supposed to be pretty mild.

Back