aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Re: Tein "Street Basis" coilovers

drees wrote:Cool - looks like we'll have 2 different coil-over options available for the LEAF very soon! Any idea what kind of spring rates will be standard?
From the Tein Web site as well as from nengun.com: F: 280 lbs/in (5.0 kg/mm), R: 325 lbs/in (5.8 kg/mm)
Anna Nguyen
aqn
Gold Member

aqn wrote:From the Tein Web site as well as from nengun.com: F: 280 lbs/in (5.0 kg/mm), R: 325 lbs/in (5.8 kg/mm)
And for comparison:

For a 1995 VW GTI VR6 (2900 lbs (65/35 F/R weight distribution: front 1885 lbs, rear 1015 lbs):

H&R front spring: 395 lbs/in
H&R race front spring: 505 lbs/in
H&R coilovers: front 500 lbs/in, rear 280 lbs/in
Shine Racing Service: front 300 lbs/in, rear 200 lbs/in
Anna Nguyen
DaveEV

aqn wrote:And for comparison:
Difficult to compare spring rates without knowing the motion ratio for said parts.

Perhaps front spring rates are comparable since both are likely to be strut based where motion ratios are very close to 1:1, but unless the VW GTI has similar twist beam rear axle, I suspect the rear spring rates are not comparable at all.

If I had to guess I'd estimate the rear spring:wheel motion ratio to be around 2:3.
aqn
Gold Member

aqn wrote:And for comparison:
drees wrote:Difficult to compare spring rates without knowing the motion ratio for said parts.
Quite right, and not to mention differences in roll center height, height of center of gravity, weigth at each corner, et cetera et cetera. My figures are intended only as a starting point, a ball park. The LEAF is more likely to be in that ball park than that of figures from, say, a Lotus Elise.
drees wrote:Perhaps front spring rates are comparable since both are likely to be strut based where motion ratios are very close to 1:1, but unless the VW GTI has similar twist beam rear axle, I suspect the rear spring rates are not comparable at all.
A3 VWs had torsion beam (twist beam) with trailing arms rear suspension like the LEAF. However, the VWs' spring/shock are concentric and their the bottom end is located at the hub, whereas the LEAF's spring and shock are separate, and the spring is located further forward on the trailing arm, which means rear spring rates are much less comparable.
Anna Nguyen
nader
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2011
Leaf Number: 1925

Looks Like RSR has two coilover offerings too (in Japan of course). They also have drop springs too.

http://www.rs-r.co.jp/e/script/itemsear ... suspension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drop Springs:

Coilovers:
nader

Update: Tein coilovers are on the way. Hopefully they arrive early next week. I'll be doing a full writeup of the install with before and after pics and maybe some video too.
DaveEV

nader wrote:Update: Tein coilovers are on the way.
How'd you get them so quickly? Your last posts indicated that they were really available yet... Did you have to get one of your Japan contacts to help import them? Any idea of cost?

Looking forward to the pics + install. :)
nader

Here is the link to purchase from Japan from a package forwarding service. These guys are pretty legit. I emailed these guys and they checked availability and added it to their site for purchase.

http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-basis-damper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1250 shipped.
DaveEV

nader wrote:Here is the link to purchase from Japan from a package forwarding service. These guys are pretty legit. I emailed these guys and they checked availability and added it to their site for purchase.

http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-basis-damper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1250 shipped.
Thanks - let's see how you like them before I decide to splurge. I had mild lowering springs on my last 2 cars that I enjoyed - I am afraid that coilovers might be a bit much for me.
aqn
Gold Member

nader wrote:Here is the link to purchase from Japan from a package forwarding service. These guys are pretty legit. I emailed these guys and they checked availability and added it to their site for purchase.

1250 shipped.
Yeah, I found that site when I went searching after seeing your OP. The $250 shipping cost put a damper on it for me. I think I'd wait a bit to see if they bring them to the U.S. Glad to see you went for some. I can't wait to see/read of the result!
Anna Nguyen

Return to “Accessories / Mods”