Included EVSE hanging when plugged-in - FIXED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentr

When I use the included EVSE, the heavy black box is hanging and seems to be creating a lot of stress to the plug. This happens because my outlet is three feet from the ground. Is the EVSE built to be used this way?

Hang or support the EVSE body using the small "screw" holes in the corners.

Hang it from a sufficiently strong hook (or object), using a "handle" - perhaps a loop of cord (or a bent wire or an "S" hook) through two of the EVSE's "mounting" holes.

Best to keep the EVSE body (and any extension cord connections) up off the floor.

Best also not to use any extension cord. NEC says the EVSE must be no more than about a foot from the outlet because there is no safety protection between the two of them. Which, of course, is why it was built in a way that appears awkward.

Ray

planet4ever said:
NEC says the EVSE must be no more than about a foot from the outlet because there is no safety protection between the two of them.
No protection from what? I would like to understand that better. Seems no different than any other portable charger with a 5' cord.
The poor strain relief would seem like a bigger hazard. And a 90 degree plug may not work out on the road.
That or it should have been designed with a wall bracket to hold the weight and still allow easy removal.

The lawyers from the fine print department called. They think you should have an electrician move your outlet :eek:

Um, yeah, hanging by the cord is not so good.

I bought one of these in Blue Ocean
http://www.lowes.com/pd_242113-66906-UTK500830_0__?productId=3190815&Ntt=utilitech++50%27+&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dutilitech%2B%2B50%2527%2B

Most garage outlets I see are ~4' off the floor. Is that NEC required or is that the maximum?
Outlets in the home of course are typically low and would not present a strain issue.

I had Nissan actually call for my feedback on the included EVSE a few weeks back. This was my primary concern and they echoed that they had received similar feedback from several others. (Have to believe they find a way for a slight redesign for the next model year)

jcesare said:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_242113-66906-UTK500830_0__?productId=3190815&Ntt=utilitech++50%27+&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dutilitech%2B%2B50%2527%2B
I was thinking more like this one:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=lrXKTbH9HYKTtwfDz7XmBw&ved=0CJwBEPMCMAg#
_WqPLo1cIuimHSGVSun8GOhZ3GA-hg_VKuaP97peZuz8AM89rvsR76gZIK14UQvCoRlvFduH3z_z5zTnOsrnogkN6pRSk5CeqkGt9wzkKKbZuO1byRS2Fdipi0Rk2OE3sj9B5klcP-p1LZe7Z5qjkBQ-GDBsbU-muRbdV8Mm

sdbonez said:
I had Nissan actually call for my feedback on the included EVSE a few weeks back. This was my primary concern and they echoed that they had received similar feedback from several others. (Have to believe they find a way for a slight redesign for the next model year)
I asked about the cord length at the Nissan Tour event and was told that the American engineers had complained about it but the Japanese engineers insisted on the short length. Maybe the outlets in Japan are 6 inches from the floor?

smkettner said:
jcesare said:
I was thinking more like this one:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=lrXKTbH9HYKTtwfDz7XmBw&ved=0CJwBEPMCMAg#
_WqPLo1cIuimHSGVSun8GOhZ3GA-hg_VKuaP97peZuz8AM89rvsR76gZIK14UQvCoRlvFduH3z_z5zTnOsrnogkN6pRSk5CeqkGt9wzkKKbZuO1byRS2Fdipi0Rk2OE3sj9B5klcP-p1LZe7Z5qjkBQ-GDBsbU-muRbdV8Mm

I went with a 50 ft. cord and I keep it in the hatch, just in case. You never know when you might need the extra length.

I advise that you DO NOT use an extension cord unless you absolutely have to.

There are 2 holes in each end of the EVSE that can be used to put a hook or screw in for hanging. A bungee cord fits well, and can solve the problem. You could also screw a small hook into the stud near your outlet for this purpose.

If you must use a cord, make sure it's a minimum of #14AWG if it's kept down to a few feet. Anything longer (up to 50 feet) should be #12AWG. Over this should be #10AWG.

These recommendations apply on either 120v or 240v. Use cords with L6-20 ends for 240v. Do NOT under any circumstances make an adapter that allows you to put 240v into a "standard" extension cord!!!

This web site has the safe L6-20 #12AWG extension cords. I have 2 of the #7800 25 footers in my trunk along with a few adapters and that covers almost any 120/240v charging need.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I advise that you DO NOT use an extension cord unless you absolutely have to.

There are 2 holes in each end of the EVSE that can be used to put a hook or screw in for hanging. A bungee cord fits well, and can solve the problem. You could also screw a small hook into the stud near your outlet for this purpose.

If you must use a cord, make sure it's a minimum of #14AWG if it's kept down to a few feet. Anything longer (up to 50 feet) should be #12AWG. Over this should be #10AWG.

These recommendations apply on either 120v or 240v. Use cords with L6-20 ends for 240v. Do NOT under any circumstances make an adapter that allows you to put 240v into a "standard" extension cord!!!

This web site has the safe L6-20 #12AWG extension cords. I have 2 of the #7800 25 footers in my trunk along with a few adapters and that covers almost any 120/240v charging need.

-Phil

My 50 ft cord is #12AWG Rated 15A/125V/1875W
I assume this will work ok in an emergency?

jcesare said:
I just bought the 25 ft. version of that same cord, and I don't even have my Leaf yet! (The "week of" window has come and gone...) :cry:

jcesare said:
sdbonez said:
I asked about the cord length at the Nissan Tour event and was told that the American engineers had complained about it but the Japanese engineers insisted on the short length. Maybe the outlets in Japan are 6 inches from the floor?
No, the J1772-2010 standard specifically states that a level 1 EVSE is required to have a cord with a maximum length of 305 mm between the power outlet and EVSE.

DarkStar said:
No, the J1772-2010 standard specifically states that a level 1 EVSE is required to have a cord with a maximum length of 305 mm between the power outlet and EVSE.

This is not true, you are misreading the standard. The 305mm requirement is for the test setup for radiated immunity testing.

The only mention of supply cable length I am aware of is in the NEC article 625.22, and it specifies:
"Regarding cord-and plug-connected EVSE, the interrupting device of a listed personnel protection system shall be provided and be an integral part of the attachment plug or be located in the power supply cable not more than 12 inches from the attachment plug."

The NEC also calls for indoor EV charging receptacles/coupler to be stored or located between 18
and 48 inches above the floor. (so it cannot sit on the floor!)

What happens if you violate the NEC? Nothing unless a city inspector finds it, or; you have a fire. If you are found to be engaging in any activity that violates the NEC, your homeowners' insurance company can deny your claim after a fire!

-Phil

And by the way, if you are NOT using our upgraded EVSE and you want to be absolutely safe: Where the EVSE calls for an in-wall receptacle, a 50 amp, 240 volt, 3- or 4-wire wall plug configuration is required, along with a minimum 40 amp 2-pole breaker. This means a NEMA 6-50R, a 15-50R, or a CS8369 receptacle is required. NEMA 10-50 is technically not allowed.

I have yet to find any language in the NEC prohibiting adapters, so you are ok.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
DarkStar said:

This is not true, you are misreading the standard. The 305mm requirement is for the test setup for radiated immunity testing.

The only mention of supply cable length I am aware of is in the NEC article 625.22, and it specifies:
"Regarding cord-and plug-connected EVSE, the interrupting device of a listed personnel protection system shall be provided and be an integral part of the attachment plug or be located in the power supply cable not more than 12 inches from the attachment plug."
Since J1772 compliance is based on those testing requirements, you can't really change the design without needing to retest again. Also, since 305 mm equals 12 inches it really is a draw either way... :D

Back