Space Saver Spare for LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myleaf

Hi Everyone,

I found a space saver spare for my LEAF. It is from a 08 Nissan Altima. The Altima has the same center bore diameter so the spare fits correctly. The rim is 16 X 4 and the tire is 135 X 90. This tire does not exactly match the 205 55 16 wheel diameter. There is about a 0.70 inch difference in diameter and about a 3% difference is circumference. I only mounted the wheel on the rear and drove several miles up to 50mph and there seems to be no problems. The tire fits in the back hatch area, I am ordering a tirebag from the njbaglady. I have tried to attached some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14104449@N02/?saved=1

Thanks, good info...

Are you planning on carrying the spare all the time or just on longer trips?

Randy

Hi Randy,

I will use it for longer trips, and probably day to day. But it does make using the back trunk region inconvenient, but the tire can also be placed in the back seat area if not occupied. It is also nice to have a spare in the garage in case you get a flat so you can drive it to the tire shop. It is not too heavy, although you need to carry a jack and lug wrench.

Dave

Hi edatoakrun,

I removed the cargo organizer and it does not fit under the parcel shelf when standing vertically. It probably will not stand vertically on its own, but will probably tilt unless supported. Diameter of tire is approx 26". On a side note I read in an earlier document that the Leaf would come with a spare. It seems that there is a place for a jack in the small compartment on the left side of the trunk area, but I do not know where the spare would go.

Dave

No spare or jack is provided with the LEAF, but there is a small lug nut wrench. However, without a jack, what could you do with the wrench?

Will the 26" diameter tire lay down on the floor of the cargo area?

Did you find a suitable jack?

Where are the "jacking" points?

Hi garygid,

The jack points are near each wheel. There are two notches identifying where the jack is to be placed. It is similar to the notches that were on my Toyota camry. I got a jack for a altima and it works okay. (the jack for my toyota also works ) The spare fits in the trunk lying flat on the cargo unit. I have attached pictures in my original email.

Dave

I agree that it's very odd to get a compressor, a can of goop, and... a tire iron.
I can't fathom a scenario where I need that tire iron. If I went home to get the jack, I brought a better one anyway.

I'm thinking it can stay in the garage as wasted weight.

I would much prefer to change my own flat than waiting for roadside assistance and I definately would avoid using the provided sealant for the reasons previously mentioned. Hauling around an extra 20 - 30 pounds is worth the "convenience". Dave

myleaf said:
Hi Everyone,

I found a space saver spare for my LEAF. It is from a 08 Nissan Altima. The Altima has the same center bore diameter so the spare fits correctly. The rim is 16 X 4 and the tire is 135 X 90. This tire does not exactly match the 205 55 16 wheel diameter. There is about a 0.70 inch difference in diameter and about a 3% difference is circumference.
Thanks for the great info!

I assume that the Altima spare is larger by 0.7", not smaller by 0.7"?

Just a warning to everyone; don't run the mini on the front. Run it only on the back. Move a rear tire to the front if need be.

Why? Because differentials contain no bearings on the spider gear. You risk severe damage to your transaxle if you run this undersize tire on the front. This is especially risky for the leaf since Nissan has not spec'd how far undersize of a tire the leaf's transaxle might tolerate.

I'm an ASE certified master tech. I can explain this in further detail if anyone has questions as to why this is damaging to the transaxle.

Nate

nater said:
Just a warning to everyone; don't run the mini on the front. Run it only on the back. Move a rear tire to the front if need be.

Why? Because differentials contain no bearings on the spider gear. You risk severe damage to your transaxle if you run this undersize tire on the front. This is especially risky for the leaf since Nissan has not spec'd how far undersize of a tire the leaf's transaxle might tolerate.

I'm an ASE certified master tech. I can explain this in further detail if anyone has questions as to why this is damaging to the transaxle.

Nate

GOOD POINT, Nate; and I agree 100%. :!:

I also agree with and support Nate's recommendation. The Altima wheel is slightly larger than the Leaf. If you change the space saver tire to a 125X90 it would be a closer match.

aqn said:
myleaf said:
Hi garygid,

The jack points are near each wheel. There are two notches identifying where the jack is to be placed. It is similar to the notches that were on my Toyota camry.[...]
Dave
More details & pics here.
I made the jack block for my LEAF. I refined a couple of its dimensions and added a couple of pics as well as the Google SketchUp schematic.

GroundLoop said:
I agree that it's very odd to get a compressor, a can of goop, and... a tire iron.
I can't fathom a scenario where I need that tire iron. If I went home to get the jack, I brought a better one anyway.

I'm thinking it can stay in the garage as wasted weight.

Hey now...that tire iron may come in handy if you get into a "disagreement" with another driver on one of the Californey Freeways, eh? :lol:

The vehicle is designed to lifted on the pinch weld itself, no block needed.

Nate

nater said:
The vehicle is designed to lifted on the pinch weld itself, no block needed.

Nate
I do know this: the LEAF has the same pinch-weld design as cars I have owned in the past. If one is going to lift the car often, as few as twenty times, the jack's head will deform the pinch weld.

I started making and using jacking blocks because after my first full season of autocross, about ten events, changing all four tires twice per events, using just a piece of 2x4 between pinch weld and the (hydraulic) jack's head deformed the pinch welds on my VW to the point where the factory jack's head won't fit over the weld anymore. It stands to reason: I was asking two pieces of steel welded together, about 1/4" wide, to support over 900 pounds on top of a 5" jack head. Another nine full seasons of autocross using the jack block incurred no further damage.

Plus, if the pinch weld is really strong enough, there would be no need for the reinforcement on the inside of the jack location:

Plus, every factory-supplied jacks (not on the LEAF, obviously) I've seen that lifts at the pinch weld don't just lift a car merely by the pinch weld. The jack head supports the pinch weld as well as the areas around it.

If you're only going to lift the car once or twice in its life, a jack block might be overkill. Bear in mind that the tire place, etc. will also be lifting your car via the pinch weld, adding to its wear and tear. Me, I like the extra peace of mind; it only takes one fluke to screw up that weld. It's not easy to straighten out.

Back