Proposition 65 warning on the driver side window

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

en11

Has anyone found more details on the proposition 65 warning on the driver side window?

Which chemicals are concerned and where do they come from? How long will they be emitted for?

Is there a link to Nissan document somewhere?

Here is what the manual says:

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65
WARNING
Certain vehicle components contain or emit chemicals known to the State of
California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. In
addition, certain fluids contained in vehicles and certain products of component
wear contain or emit chemicals known to the State of California to
cause cancer and birth defects or otherreproductive harm.

Oddly enough, mine didn't have that. Maybe the dealer removed it. There's a whole host of chemicals that trigger a prop 65 warning, including lead. I'm sure there's some lead somewhere in there - are car 12v batteries still lead acid these days? I wouldn't worry about it. Prop 65 is stupid. You can't hardly buy ANYTHNG without seeing a prop 65 warning here in CA - all it's accomplished is training us to ignore the stickers/signs.

en11 said:
Has anyone found more details on the proposition 65 warning on the driver side window?

Which chemicals are concerned and where do they come from? How long will they be emitted for?

Is there a link to Nissan document somewhere?

Here is what the manual says:

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65
WARNING
Certain vehicle components contain or emit chemicals known to the State of
California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. In
addition, certain fluids contained in vehicles and certain products of component
wear contain or emit chemicals known to the State of California to
cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Hey en11,

Just like GeekEV stated, this is a standard boilerplate message that is primarily associated with lead. There is a lead acid battery in the vehicle, so that alone would trigger the required message in California.

You'll also find the same warning on the entrances to most businesses in California as well if they sell anything that "may" contain lead too. Like RadioShack, Wal-Mart, etc...

They have these exact same Prop 65 warnings in Starbucks and almost all retail locations that sell anything in CA. My sons motorcycle came with a warning sticker and I had to sign something basically saying the bike was NOT for him and I wouldn't let him eat any of the parts.

Heavy sigh.

pretty sure every gas station has that warning posted also. But DarkStar got it right just the lead acid 12v battery alone will trigger the message, additionally any lead in the construction of the motor/drive-train will trigger the message...

-Matt

thankyouOB said:
this is an April Fool's joke.
there was no such on my car.
There wasn't on mine either, but I *have* seen it on other people's cars. It's a real thing...

The use of many plastics and adhesives most likely triggers the warning.

Yes, you should air out your car to get rid of as much of that "new car" (plastic/adhesive) smell as you can.

garygid said:
The use of many plastics and adhesives most likely triggers the warning.

Yes, you should air out your car to get rid of as much of that "new car" (plastic/adhesive) smell as you can.
Ozone/ionizing purifiers work great for removing all the petro chemical stench in VERY quick order. But use with caution.
http://www.airpurifiers.com/technology/ozone.htm
Ozone is an unstable oxygen molecule (O3) that oxidizes anything it bumps into. So if it "bumps" into iron it makes iron oxide or rust. This is great for removing odors, killing mold and mildew (and small animals with enough exposure). So, if a home is flooded or has a sewage backup this technology is often used by professionals to help clean up the mess. This is an appropriate use of the technology since people and pets are removed while the ozone is applied and are only brought back after the ozone is removed.
We ran our purifier in the car over night. Boom. Stink is all gone.

My new 2016 Leaf has the sticker and its strong odor bothers me, both the smell and the health risk of breathing petrochemicals. That stuff is nasty bad for you and should be avoided.

Does the air purifier actually reduce the health risk, or just remove the smell? I would assume if you can't smell it, the health risk is gone. I hope so. I am forced to drive with the windows down and breathe fumes from all the gas-o-cars around me. Yuk.

Besides that-- love the car.

Cornellio said:
My new 2016 Leaf has the sticker and its str ong odor bothers me ...
Five Years :!: :!: :!: :!:
2011 LEAF stunk worse than any new car I have ever been in.
Took six to nine months before I could tolerate the stink of the car :shock: :!:
Five Years Later Nissan cannot do any better than this :( :roll: :!: :?:

Cornellio said:
My new 2016 Leaf has the sticker and its strong odor bothers me, both the smell and the health risk of breathing petrochemicals. That stuff is nasty bad for you and should be avoided.

Does the air purifier actually reduce the health risk, or just remove the smell? I would assume if you can't smell it, the health risk is gone. I hope so. I am forced to drive with the windows down and breathe fumes from all the gas-o-cars around me. Yuk.

I'm doubtful that an ion generator would neutralize the volatile compounds. Best bet would to be as you're doing, ensure lots of ventilation. Or perhaps use of an activated charcoal filter. Check this thread:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17378&hilit=filter

Oh my God! We have revived a topic from 2011. Secondly, we have become a society of Chicken Littles, chasing minutia and trying to instill worry about ridiculous things. I think that what people are complaining about is the "new car smell" that past generations used to cherish. If that smell bothers you, and you are concerned about the potential risks of plastic fumes, then ride a bicycle or a horse, because every car in the world has this. It is long known that the reason for windows to haze up is because the fumes from the plastic evaporate on the windows... We have been exposed to toxic substances before we were born, and we live on....

powersurge said:
... I think that what people are complaining about is the "new car smell" ...
No.
The 2011 recycled fabric off gasing was an order of magnitude worse stiffling chemical stink than traditional new car smell.

I kind of like new car smell.

The 2011 recycled fabric seats would in the colloquial phrase, gag a maggot.

Ok, if there is an issue with a specific material, then one should either sell the car, or work on getting a class action suit... My response was one of reacting to what appears to be endless complaints about every aspect of the this car (headlights, batteries, range, controls, steering wheels, hardware, etc...). on this site. I think we have come too far as a consumer society that we concentrate on "reviewing" every product and seem to enjoy finding "what's wrong" with something, or what the item "can't do".

I am still hoping for people to communicate with each other, and find others in their areas to have positive friendships and car-related exchanges as a result of owning these cars. For example, when the personal computers came out in the early 1980s, there were so few of us who had "discovered this magic box". I was part of a user group of about 50 of us on Long Island, NY who had bravely bought these new marvels. We had monthly meetings, and everyone of us felt part of a special group of people who were the first to experience the "FUTURE" of technology. Look how far we have come since then with computers.

Personally, I am thrilled to again be a trailblazer by owning a product which will lead the Human Race into the future. It's kind of like when the first people bought the first Model T cars 100 years or so ago. Yes, there are problems, but the evolution of this marvel of technology has only just begun... There. I just got philosophical... Do you hear the violins?

I don't want to dig too deep, but as it's a new topic to me-- just a couple points:

@powersurge: I totally agree that we as a society go overboard reviewing the minutia of tiny problems in products.

However, It is important to breathe clean air. It's wise to take reasonable precautions in avoiding exposure to toxins. Isn't this one of the reasons we all have this car, because it's a clean air vehicle? It certainly is the number one reason I have it. I don't want to pollute the air around me with gas fumes, but it's ironic that a clean air vehicle may have unclean air on the inside. Of course all cars have this issue but some are worse than others.

Anyway, I'm just curious about practical advise folks may have about keeping the air clean. Beyond that, I totally agree this car is a marvel of technology, a milestone in the evolution of modern transport and I am really happy to be part of it. I have owned Lexus and BMW's, but have never been this excited about a car.

Back