OBC and Lithium Battery on OBC?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawrenceong

Recently, the OBC (On Board Charger) on our 2014 (Australian year) (probably actually a 2011-2012) Nissan Leaf failed. The AC plug will no longer charge. Good news is that DC still works.

We are in Australia, so the number of second hand OBC is rather rare. We tried to get a second hand OBC from overseas and we were informed that they would not send it to Australia because of the presence of a single lithium battery on it. Engineering wise, this seems a little bit strange to me.

1. Why would there be a lithium battery on an OBC?
2. Even if there is a lithium battery, it may only be used to power a very small part of the circuitry, which would generally be a coin battery.

Does anyone know whether there is actually a lithium battery on the OBC?

The OBC in question is part 296A0-3NA8A

https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan__/Drive-Motor-Battery-Pack-Charger/89812120/296A0-3NA8A.html

Would appreciate any response to clarify the above. Thanks in advance.

Did you check if the problem with AC charging is due to a diode failure in the OBC? There are threads on this forum covering diagnosis and repair.

Sorry, can’t help with the OBC/battery question.

91040 said:
Did you check if the problem with AC charging is due to a diode failure in the OBC? There are threads on this forum covering diagnosis and repair.

Got a Nissan service centre to diagnose it and was informed that it is the OBC. I’m trusting that they know what they are doing. In either case, I’ll double check the diode as well.

Did a diode check myself and it looks ok.

Nothing wrong with the proximity detection that results in around ~4.3 V (diode looks ok)
The resistance between pilot and ground however cannot be measured. Ended up as an open circuit.

Have confirmed that there is no lithium battery whatsoever in the OBC. It looks like it's lost in translation. Since the product itself mentions the word lithium, a few staff automatically assume that it cannot be shipped due to the presence of lithium. After the "manager" took a look at it, I managed to get the product shipped. Had to insist on shipment or money back.

Back