2012 Leaf range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSL

I apologize for creating a new topic - when I searched with the engine, it said too many hits for the key words I entered.

I am considering buying a 2012 Leaf from a friend. Price is good, as car has cosmetic damage. But the range is shown at max at around 48 miles.

The Leaf is an SL, and it has about 42000 miles.

My question is whether I can expect the batteries to significantly decrease in range over the next 2 years. This car would be for my sone to go to High School, and he will drive at most 35 miles/day for the days he has after-school activities.

If I get this car, should I expect to have to replace the batteries in the next 2 years? Our local climate is Salt Lake City, and the car would typically recharge on the driveway, and not in a garage.

Thank you for feedback.

JSL said:
the range is shown at max at around 48 miles.

Lefty is correct.

Range estimate is called the Guess O Meter or GOM, look at battery capacity bars for a more useful answer, or get someone to use "LeafSpy" to get a better report.

Batteries are degraded by both time and cycles. Just based on 48 mile GOM range, the battery is likely under 50% capacity.

So the car has lost about 5% of original capacity a year. Expect losing another 5% every year. So after 2 years, perhaps a 40 mile GOM range.

What's worse is batteries lose capacity in the cold. Energy use also goes up with climate controls, thicker air, stiffer tires and such.

And the car will make that initial GOM range only with careful, slow driving in nice weather. I wouldn't count on more than half of the GOM range, or 25 miles on a bad day. Now if your son was doing 20 miles per day or less...

JSL said:
Our local climate is Salt Lake City, and the car would typically recharge on the driveway, and not in a garage.
In addition to the range issue, I don't think this is an ideal way to go into EV ownership. Might be OK temporarily, but not having an attached garage (for protected charging) is not a good long-term solution. My 2 cents.

Stanton said:
JSL said:
Our local climate is Salt Lake City, and the car would typically recharge on the driveway, and not in a garage.
In addition to the range issue, I don't think this is an ideal way to go into EV ownership. Might be OK temporarily, but not having an attached garage (for protected charging) is not a good long-term solution. My 2 cents.

OTOH, we've been doing just this - and L-1 at that! - since 2013. No problems that I can recall. There have been occasional periods where there was room in the garage to squeeze a Leaf in, but I never did so just for that reason.

Unless the 2012 has had a battery replacement, I don't think it will have the necessary range for 2 more years. If the battery was replaced years ago, then it may be OK for your needs. Winter range with 2011 and 2012 can be a problem because of the electric water heater for cabin heat. On the other hand, the car can be preheated while plugged in and the water stays warm for some heat or defrost for a few miles of driving.

I routinely made my 52-mile round trip (26 each way) with the original battery in my 2011 down to 8 capacity bars before it was replaced under warranty. I liked the 2011 and would probably still have it (with a retrofitted 40 or 62 kWh battery) if it had not met its untimely demise.

Thank you so much you all for the advice.

I had made a search - and it looks like I could replace the battery pack for about $3500.
I am still hesitating if it makes sense.

One the other side - I am curious, it seems from some of I have read, that I could replace the 24kW pack for a larger battery? This would be more expensive, but I am wondering whether there would be the physical space to fit a larger battery in the spot where the 24kW battery was.

Thank you again for feedback.

Best regards,

I had made a search - and it looks like I could replace the battery pack for about $3500.

No. Maybe that much for a rather poor used 24kwh pack, but the labor would still bring it to about $5k. You'd be looking at roughly $14k to have a used 40kwh pack from a wreck installed. The 62kwh packs are so rare used that you should just forget that option.

JSL said:
replace the 24kW pack for a larger battery? This would be more expensive, but I am wondering whether there would be the physical space to fit a larger battery in the spot where the 24kW battery was.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, a unit of energy.

I've been hearing quotes of $10K+ for a new 24 kWh pack.

Back