Onboard charger replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loduffy

I need to replace the OBC on my 2011 leaf (146k miles). The current OBC has been in the car since 2015, and lasted 110k miles. I have decided to put a new one in, instead of attempting to repair it. I have two options.

Dealer will charge $3k ($1.8k for part, $1.2k for labor) + tax. Told by dealer that it would come with 5 yr/60k miles warranty. Can someone verify that this is the case? (I thought this should be 8 yr/100k miles)

Alternatively, I can buy the part for $1800, and try to install it myself. I am not familiar with electricity or electronics, but do have experience working on cars (brake system, timing belt, etc). The only warranty will be 1 yr for the part from the manufacturer (not sure how useful it is).

I am debating whether the 5yr/60k mile warranty is worth $1.2k. Which option do you guys think will make more sense? How easy is it to mess up this installation? How likely will I encounter problems in OBC in the next 5 years/60k miles after this new installation, assuming installation itself is successful without issue?

Thanks.

I would ask for the warranty coverage in writing before having the dealer do the replacement. The 2011 and 2012 onboard charger is in the back of the car behind the rear seats so the hatch interior trim must be removed. It is liquid cooled so the cooling system must be drained and then refilled after replacement. It is not beyond the capability of someone who works on cars, but you do need to be careful working around the high-voltage electrical components. You can purchase a service manual from Nissan Publications online (or at least a subscription for a period of time).

Thank you!

I am more leaning towards having the dealer do it. 5yr/60k warranty, if I can confirm it, will still give me 3-4 yrs of peace of mind.

Just curious, does anyone else have information on the warranty after such a replacement by dealer?

Have you been able to confirm that the OBC is in stock? I've been trying to buy one for a month and the only dealer in the US that has one is Stone Mountain Nissan and they are asking $3218 for the charger alone.

None of the online Nissan parts retailers currently have any in stock either.

If anyone out there knows where I can get a new one I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

I haven't been able to. The service guy was slow to respond today. Maybe he found out the same thing as you did? That would be unfortunate!

Back