Is NissanConnect EV down?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still figuring out some problems with my new (to me) '19 Leaf...

I noticed that my NissanConnect EV app was not refreshing the status data since 4/8/23 @ 8:43 PM (~28 hours ago) after > 10 attempts to refresh over around 20 hours -- also won't turn on climate control. Car is in the same garage where it had slow but reliable service 3 days ago - have not noticed any changes in other cell/internet services.

I logged in on the web to see if there was a problem with my subscription and it still shows me as having a trial subscription through 5/3/23.

I'm debating whether this is worth a paid subscription as I've seen/heard many (well deserved!) complaints specifically about Nissan technical support for their web and app services. I'm considering not subscribing but I would like a (reasonably) reliable way of getting charge status remotely and being able to remotely start climate control and do lock/unlock.

So:
  1. Is this service working for anyone today?
  2. Has this been worth a subscription for anybody?
  3. Seems to me there's little benefit for premium subscription for a Leaf owner with reasonable cell an AAA memberships - agreed?

This topic gets created almost monthly. We had no luck with the app yesterday, but I was just now able to read my current SOC, turn climate control on, then turn it back off again.

LeftieBiker said:
This topic gets created almost monthly...
Sorry about that - like I said, I'm new and didn't see any past topics or posts on a quick scan...

Still down for me as of now - thinking about maybe hacking up an Android app that could work through an attachment through the OBD for my needs... :idea: :?

I just checked--EV Connect on my iPhone updated charge status without issue. It was actually faster than it has been so Nissan may have done something to their servers recently. FWIW, I don't have a paid subscription and never even activated the 3-month trial that included features such as remote lock/unlock and valet restriction which are through Sirius XM when I purchased the car in 2019. I have ignored emails from Nissan and Sirius XM trying to get me to subscribe to the paid service. So far, the key features like status and remote climate control are available to me without the paid subscription.

Also, I no longer get notifications via text or email messages for charge complete, climate control on/off, or status updates (since before the last update of the app and web site).

Finally got it to connect on 4/9 ~22:00 MDT so I guess it is what it is...

Not holding my breath or hoping for improvements...

If only Nissan would open source their API to the car. I had same/similar issues with GM's OnStar service on my Volt. You'd think that , with the whole 2G cell service retirement fiasco, manufacturers could have learned some lessons.

Problem is that, what I really want is an API to talk to the car -- not to an intermediary like NissanConnect or OnStar. As I understand it, that will never happen from the manufacturers because:
  1. It provides massive security risks that they just don't want to resolve -- even though we have tons of experience in other technology areas where these problems are addressed.
  2. They all see the potential revenue/profit of requiring an ongoing subscription service for their units which they can control.

However, much of the promise of increased safety in autonomous driving depends on car-to-car communications. That would have to presume the security/risk issues will be resolved at that point.

Again, not holding my breath but I do imagine a future where there is an automotive platform that is truly based on Open Source. If you look back into the preliminary hype of 10-20 years ago from Tesla, GM, Ford and others, this was implied if not explicitly promised.

Oh well...

App has been down for me for nearly a week for 2 different 2018 LEAFs, 2 different phones on the most recent version of the app. Still can login and logout but all functions for status update / climate do not respond and simply time out. Even changed the password to test and it logs in fine just doesn't do anything. Anyone else?

Yeah, I've never once been able to log in to the app. Just got an email yesterday from customer support saying my "Error Unauthorized" was fixed after they "elevated my support request"... Maybe they just rebooted the server? Lol in any case, still can't even log in 😮‍💨

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240410-183154_Firefox.png
    Screenshot_20240410-183154_Firefox.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
I am using the NissanConnect EV app...worked pretty well since 2018 except for the occasional outage or issue lasting maybe a day or two. This is the first time I have been unable to use it for so long. Seems I'm not the only one.

Is it possible that the subscriptions both have expired? Thought the remote battery status, GPS locator, and climate control features had no expiration date.

I am using the NissanConnect EV app...worked pretty well since 2018 except for the occasional outage or issue lasting maybe a day or two. This is the first time I have been unable to use it for so long. Seems I'm not the only one.

Is it possible that the subscriptions both have expired? Thought the remote battery status, GPS locator, and climate control features had no expiration date.
No, it seems is due to the 2G shutdown that is being done by the Telecomunications Companies. In the Europe case, Telenor.
But that's a mere excuse, because you could replace the TCU with one that supports 3G/4G, etc. and they don't accept this solution. They want us to stay disconnected from their services or pushing us to the OMVS system.
If they think we're going to buy another car due to this, I can't laugh loud enough. This is not a mobile phone.

I don't think the 2G issue has anything to do with my situation in USA. The 2G sunset occurred for all the LEAF cellular modules nearly 5 years ago. Many owners (when I owned a 2013) including myself upgraded the modules before the deadline.

I also checked my subscriptions online and all showing active.

I don't think the 2G issue has anything to do with my situation in USA. The 2G sunset occurred for all the LEAF cellular modules nearly 5 years ago. Many owners (when I owned a 2013) including myself upgraded the modules before the deadline.

I also checked my subscriptions online and all showing active.
Yes, it's an excuse, but they stopped allowing to log in electric cars made prior to 2016:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitas.android.nissan.carwings&hl=en&gl=US

"
LIST OF COMPATIBLE MODELS:
- Nissan LEAF produced between November 2015 and May 2019
- Nissan e-NV200 produced from January 2018

"

https://www.nissan.es/propietarios/...onnect-services-compatibilidad-vehiculos.html

Compatible models.PNG

It worked fine with my 2018 40Kwh leaf but will not accept the newer 2023 62Kwh model, it always says VIN is not supported, so I'm not impressed with it now...

I was having some issues with the app a couple hours ago with my 2019, but it's fine now. For some reason it disconnected from my Apple Watch, and I can't see live data. I'll have to reinstall it to the watch and see.

Back