J1772 charging not working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyShackleford

Today, our Leaf would not start charging when plugged into our home Level 2 EVSE; the indicator light on the EVSE did not illuminate, you didn't hear the relay click, and the car didn't lock in the J1772 connector. Tried it with the portable charging cord to confirm it was the car and not the EVSE.

So we dropped it at the Nissan dealer. (And on the way, verified that the Chademo charging port works).

It appears to me that the stated warranty for the "EV system" is 5 years and 60,000 miles or 100,000 kilometers. The car is pretty close to 5 years old, and the distinction between miles and kilometers is important, because 100,000 km is about 62,000 miles, which is about what the car has on it (actually more like 63,000). So I'm wondering, do I have the warranty right, and if so, how likely is Nissan to give us some rhythm it we're just slightly over the limits ? And, what's the best way to encourage them to do so (I'm thinking Nissan USA would be better than the local dealer) ?

FWIW, I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R4dGg8nIUs

... which looks like it could well describe what's going on with our car. The culprit is a tiny surface-mount diode, which causes the handshake circuitry between EVSE and car to report an error. It's a part that costs a few cents, but replacement involves removing the charger from the car. And of course no dealer is going to do surgery on a circuit board !

Here's a nice Wiki article on J1772: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772, and in the image under "signalling" it looks like D1 is the one the video is discussing

Today, our Leaf would not start charging when plugged into our home Level 2 EVSE; the indicator light on the EVSE did not illuminate, you didn't hear the relay click, and the car didn't lock in the J1772 connector. Tried it with the portable charging cord to confirm it was the car and not the EVSE.

So we dropped it at the Nissan dealer. (And on the way, verified that the Chademo charging port works).

It appears to me that the stated warranty for the "EV system" is 5 years and 60,000 miles or 100,000 kilometers. The car is pretty close to 5 years old, and the distinction between miles and kilometers is important, because 100,000 km is about 62,000 miles, which is about what the car has on it (actually more like 63,000). So I'm wondering, do I have the warranty right, and if so, how likely is Nissan to give us some rhythm it we're just slightly over the limits ? And, what's the best way to encourage them to do so (I'm thinking Nissan USA would be better than the local dealer) ?

FWIW, I came across this video:

... which looks like it could well describe what's going on with our car. The culprit is a tiny surface-mount diode, which causes the handshake circuitry between EVSE and car to report an error. It's a part that costs a few cents, but replacement involves removing the charger from the car. And of course no dealer is going to do surgery on a circuit board !

Here's a nice Wiki article on J1772: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772, and in the image under "signalling" it looks like D1 is the one the video is discussing

I have the same problem with my leaf.. the solution was very simple (and free).. I just lift up the handle of the charging cable.. I hear the click and it starts charging.. I have now mastered it, but the first few times it took a light touch. Also if it won't connect, even a dried leaf in there will prevent it from starting charging. I have had to use compressed air and a dentist pick to get debris out to make contact. but the good news is you dont have to pay the dealer

Apparently it was just crud in the charging connector. Our driveway is fine gravel, I guess we need to be more careful.
Might be worth it to buy a cap cover for your charger connector to prevent it from happening in the future - found this one on Amazon - we just needed to replace our EVSE cable and it came with something similar - a little more piece of mind in case it gets dropped --https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Protective-Charging-Connector-Replacement/dp/B0BWJ4JW4L

Back