Battery health

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEVowner

Hi,
I bought a new Nissan Leaf 40kWh six weeks ago. I am very disappointed with the range. I drive in the west of Ireland on normal roads (not motorway). On average I am consuming 85.8% of the battery for every 106.5km travelled. I charged the car to 100% last night and then unplugged the charger this morning. I left the car sitting in my driveway today for a few hours and then used Leaf spy pro to take the image below. Is this image normal?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll19g3s1ilde1m0/Screenshot_20230212_142947_LeafSpy%20Pro.jpg?dl=0

The battery is definitely out of balance, and may have a couple of marginal cells. That being said, it is not bad enough for Nissan to take any action. MY advice would be to try to get it balanced by driving it down to 10% or so, then charging it to 100% and end of charge (preferably not long before using it again). Either it will work, or you can hope that the car has weak cells that may deteriorate quickly.

Not normal at all.
If that car really only has been driven ~1000 km, then something is definitely "off" with the pack. I can't imagine Nissan ever delivering a car with a pack that out of balance. How long was the dealer in possession of the car (when was it manufactured)?

Hi Stanton,
I believe the car was only manufactured late last year. I remember reading an obscure sticker on some component on the car that stated the manufacture of the component was last November. The dealer took back the car today and gave me another 2023 40kWh leaf while they examine mine. I had to meet the dealer 101km away from my house (just suited us both). I had my car charged to 100% before I left and drove 101km to meet the dealer. In that distance it consumed 80% of the battery. I drove the car the dealer gave me home on the exact same journey just in the opposite direction. I drove 101km and it consumed 48% of the battery.

Back