2017 Used Leaf Still Under Warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregoryestes

Hello. I’m looking to purchase a cheap 2017 SL Leaf with only 34,000 miles. The issue is that it’s already lost 3 bars and at full charge only registers 78 miles. I would be purchasing through carmax so I’m not sure how the remaining factory warranty would work. Thanks for any help.

Welcome. Barring something unusual like a salvage title, the battery is under warranty for 8 years / 100,000 miles from the date it was first registered after being sold as new. So, barring that salvage title or anything else that would have voided the warranty, the car should be eligible for a new 40kwh battery once it loses 4 bars, and after having had the Battery Management System software update - not a short, easy process, but still good news, I hope.

There is an outstanding BMS firmware update that needs to be done on any 30kWh Leaf, including all 2017 models. You can tell whether or not the update has been done with LeafSpyPro if you have access to the car. Otherwise, you might be able to find out from Nissan if you tell them the serial number. That can make a huge difference on how many bars the car reports so if you are counting on getting a warranty replacement battery be sure to check that first.

Back