16A 110v portable charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwl

Sorry if this was posted already, I couldn’t find a search function.

I have a 2022 SV and the OEM charger. I have a plug available to me at work on a 110v 20 amp dedicated circuit.
Is level 1 charging capped at 1.44kw or will it charge faster with a 16amp level 1 charger?

Someone nearby is selling a Schumacher that has an output of 3.8kw. Think it would change at a faster rate?

3.8 kW at 120 volts is about 32 amperes, probably not many receptacles like that around! That sounds like a Level 2 240V EVSE.

If your '22 is like my '13, which I believe it should be, it should charge on both L1 and L2 at the same 27.5a so yes, on a 20a circuit it should charge just fine at 16a and give you a faster charge than the OEM 12a 120v EVSE,
Heck I've even pushed closer to 19a for a shorter period of time(less than 1h) but the first time you really need to monitor things like your breaker temp, etc. If the outlet is a quality outlet and not lose, 16a should be just fine.

Welcome. IIRC, the Nissan branded 120 volt charging cable (the actual charger is built into the car) maxes out at the lower amperage. The dual voltage charging cable MAY use up to 16 amps on 120 volts, but I don't think so. You can, however, find plenty of aftermarket adjustable amperage charging cables and stations that will do 16A on 120 volts. I'm sure that others here will confirm or correct what I wrote, and point you toward topics on aftermarket charging cables (aka EVSEs).

EDIT: Heh. I thought the question was about the EVSEs, when it was apparently about the onboard charger. Yes, that will happily charge at 16A on 120 volts.
(Two posts slipped in ahead of me.)

I have been charging my 2023 Leaf S with the OEM Level 1 for about a month and that is working fine with our limited driving.

Today I am using a new Level 1 EVSE for the first time purchased off Amazon for $184.

Keruida Level 1 EV Charger 16Amp 110V, Portable EV Charger with NEMA 5-15 Plug SAE J1772 Cable, Home EV Charging Station Adjustable Currents 8A-16A with EV Charger Holder, Timing Delay

My garage has a 20 AMP circuit with one 5-20 receptacle, so this seemed a good simple home charger match.

The unit is actually made by Zencar and marketed by Keruida.

I have it set at 16 amps and Leaf Timer set for 12 hours, starting at 16% SOC. The 12 AMP OEM EVSE was adding just over 3% per hour and I expect about 4% with this one.

03dS25PMvczXz3GPBqKNuxBsQ

My first time to post an image. Hope this works. The AMP setting is reverse light and not showing up in picture.
03dS25PMvczXz3GPBqKNuxBsQ

LeftieBiker said:
The image is there, folks. Right click on "Image" and select "Open in new tab."
Not for me, I don't get the option to open in a new tab when I right click on either the word image or the broken image icon before the word......using Chrome for a browser.

I launched FF, something I haven't done in a year? but along with pestering me to update it, I wasn't able to view the image, even with a right mouse click. I don't get the option to open it in another tab but I do get "view image" but that just takes me to iCloud and a blank screen, I don't use iCloud.....reload image doesn't do anything, and inspect image just gives me jibberish(to me anyway).
It's not important I see the image but just wanted to report what I saw :)

jjeff said:
I launched FF, something I haven't done in a year? but along with pestering me to update it, I wasn't able to view the image, even with a right mouse click. I don't get the option to open it in another tab but I do get "view image" but that just takes me to iCloud and a blank screen, I don't use iCloud.....reload image doesn't do anything, and inspect image just gives me jibberish(to me anyway).
It's not important I see the image but just wanted to report what I saw :)

It took about 30 seconds for the image to load for me. I thought it was my DSL (ask your parents) but maybe that site is really slow, or the image is huge.

LeftieBiker said:
The image is there, folks. Right click on "Image" and select "Open in new tab."

I'm using chrome and I see the images fine. For those having trouble the pic is the charger lcd (Display shows 116v, 15.2A, 1.76KW)

Anyway, is the OEM charger 12 amp for both Level 1 & 2? I only get 1.44KW input on L1.

So a 16 amp charger should be faster for both level 1 & 2 correct? I'm hoping for what the box says (3.84KW L1) but anything over 1.44KW is a plus.

My commute is 50mi round trip, I'm at work for 9 hours. using the OEM charger I get about 38mi added. So I end up needing to charge at home or L2\L3 charger in town to top it off for the weekend\next week. I'm hoping that just changing the charger that feeds few more watts will get me past the 50mi mark so that I don't have to top it off every week.

(2023 Leaf S 40 KWH battery averaging 4 miles per KWH local driving about 20 miles per day)

The timer allowed the 16 AMP charge to run for exactly 12 hours and I got a 52% gain in battery SOC.

Previous 12 AMP L1 was getting around 37% in 12 hours.

So there is significant increase, but it is still a L 1 trickle charge.

I can see the images now by following Lefties instruction.

Image after 12 hour charge.

023ByrtVmAS-E2nr-rBo12WLw

ddansb01 said:
The timer allowed the 16 AMP charge to run for exactly 12 hours and I got a 52% gain in battery SOC.

Previous 12 AMP L1 was getting around 37% in 12 hours.

So there is significant increase, but it is still a L 1 trickle charge.

Sounds like its close to a 25mi difference over 12hrs. That will be just enough to keep my leaf near 90% all week long without having to charge at home!

Thanks for the info!

Learjet said:
I'm using Chrome too and can't see it....not that I need to....but it's the way you posted the picture....others can't see it.

I right click and "open image in new tab" and it shows fine, anyway...

Pic shows the 16A charger lcd, 12hr of charge with total 21.25KWh making that 1.76kKWh per hr vs 1.44KWh per hr with the OEM charger.

I got my 16A charger in yesteaday. I tried it out at home, the dashboard inside the leaf didn't show any difference between chargers, 1.44kw, probably just default display for L1.

I had the chargers plugged into a kw meter and it showed the difference in output power...

OEM: near 12A, 1350watts
Aftermarket: near 16A, 1775watts

Doing the math, if the Leaf is accepting the input wattages the 16A will be roughly 30% faster. Just plugged up at work and usually get 38mi added over 9 hrs with the OEM, I'll report back with the aftermarket.

cwl said:
I got my 16A charger in yesteaday. I tried it out at home, the dashboard inside the leaf didn't show any difference between chargers, 1.44kw, probably just default display for L1.

I had the chargers plugged into a kw meter and it showed the difference in output power...

OEM: near 12A, 1350watts
Aftermarket: near 16A, 1775watts

Doing the math, if the Leaf is accepting the input wattages the 16A will be roughly 30% faster. Just plugged up at work and usually get 38mi added over 9 hrs with the OEM, I'll report back with the aftermarket.

Yes the dash display is pretty crude, I don't think they differentiate between the various L1 amperages, IOW you could have a EVSE putting out 8a @ 120v and it would show the same as if you had 27.5a @ 120v :?
And actually, as there is so much overhead just to start the charging(I've heard around 300w) by increasing from 12 to 16a you may even gain more than the percentages might come out to be as all of what you are adding goes directly to the battery and not charging overhead, if that makes sense.

The images are visible with Microsoft Edge by right clicking and opening in a new tab (just like Leftie said). I learned something because I had been unable to see images that just had the link--now I know what to do to see them.

Back