How to limit charging to 80%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jratzlaf

I just bought a (used) 2021 Leaf SV Plus. A friend bought a 2022 Tesla. He showed me the Tesla app wherein you can set a charging limit, say to 80% (to enhance the longevity of the battery). Is there a way to accomplish that on my Leaf?

Make sure the default charge rate on the dash display is set correctly...for example 6.6 kw, then look at the Battery charge time to 75% on the display, if it says 4 hours to 75%, set charge timer to charge for 4 hours, for example 2:00 am to 6:00 am.

others will chime in with other techniques, but the above works for me.

My solution is similar to Lears- set the charge timer for the number of hours you want to charge to get to the battery % you want. For me the timer is set to 5 hours (midnight to 5 AM for off-peak rates) which adds 35% of charge. I never change this- if the battery is below about 45% we plug it in, and if it is above 45% we have enough range for the following day. You can always override the timer if you want to add extra % but we seldom do. Good luck!

Yes, it is possible to set a charging limit on your Nissan Leaf. The feature is not available through the vehicle itself, but can be accomplished through the NissanConnect EV app. The app is available for both Android and iOS and can be used to remotely start or stop charging, set the climate control, and view the battery status, among other things. You can set a charging limit on the app by selecting the “Charge” option and then choosing “Set Charge Limit”. From there, you can adjust the charging limit to a percentage of your choosing. Note that the charging limit feature may not be available in all markets, so you may want to check with Nissan or your local Nissan dealer to see if this feature is available in your region.

I have not yet bought my leaf. I want one and am blessed to shop and purchase what I want.

I have an android phone (fyi in case I need an app).

I want the charge limit feature please! How can I get it.

Is there a better ev for what I want?
Recycle batteries into other projects after ev use
Reasonable insurance rate
Low weight - can service it myself at home

Thx

ThomasJones said:
Yes, it is possible to set a charging limit on your Nissan Leaf. The feature is not available through the vehicle itself, but can be accomplished through the NissanConnect EV app. The app is available for both Android and iOS and can be used to remotely start or stop charging, set the climate control, and view the battery status, among other things. You can set a charging limit on the app by selecting the “Charge” option and then choosing “Set Charge Limit”. From there, you can adjust the charging limit to a percentage of your choosing. Note that the charging limit feature may not be available in all markets, so you may want to check with Nissan or your local Nissan dealer to see if this feature is available in your region.

I googled the app, is it true its a subscription service after 3 years?

Does the charge % control stick or do you need to keep setting it every time you want to limit it?

ThomasJones said:
I have installed both NissanConnect and EV & Services on Android but I cant find the "Set Charge Limit" feature. Could you post a screenshot of that? TIA

I've done considerable research on this topic and to my knowledge the EV Connect app does NOT have a charge limit setting.

Apparently on the 1st gen Leafs, up until 2014, there was a setting to limit the amount of charge. But Nissan saw fit to do away with this feature. Since the battery warranty hasn't changed one might conclude that this feature is no longer as necessary as it once may have been.

Read this https://www.greencarfuture.com/electric/charge-nissan-leaf-to-80 and pay particular attention to the last section: Conclusion: Batteries Increasingly Take Care of Themselves

WetEV said:
My cell phone has an 85% charge setting. Stops at 85%.

What's so hard about that?

Nothing hard about it if that setting shows up on the app for the year Leaf you have.

Do you have a 2nd generation Leaf and did you not read my comment that Nissan did away with the charging limit feature in 2014? I've had 3 gen 2 Leafs and there has not ever been a charge percentage setting on the Android EV&Services app.

To put it another way: as far as we know, Nissan has never implemented a "stop charge" command, and this prevents apps from doing that to limit the state of charge.

:cry: Gen2 here. (2018)

You quickly become aware of the charge rate per hour after you have charged a few times.

For example, if I monitor the Nissan App for the SOC as I'm charging, I noticed that if charging at 3.6KW (15Amps/240), the SOC increases 12% per hour on average.

So when I get home for the day, I plug the EVSE I have into the port. Later that evening, at my leisure, I open the Nissan App and see the SOC is 45%

I want to charge to ~75%

So I want an increase of 30%
At 12% per hour, that 2.5 hours.

I open the EVSE app and send the Start Charge command. And I set the timer to stop charging at 2.5 hours from then.

I wake to a Leaf at 75% SOC +-1%

Lots of modern EVSE have features that substitute for the missing Nissan onboard features. But there's no reason not to have all the conveniences that you might desire with the current available charging options.

LeafNissan1 said:
WetEV said:

Nothing hard about it if that setting shows up on the app for the year Leaf you have.

Do you have a 2nd generation Leaf and did you not read my comment that Nissan did away with the charging limit feature in 2014? I've had 3 gen 2 Leafs and there has not ever been a charge percentage setting on the Android EV&Services app.

Clearly I didn't explain enough. The cell phone has a battery. The cell phone's battery can be limited to 85%.

The 2012 Leaf I owned had a battery. I could set a limit at 80%. I used that limit.

The 2014 Leaf I owned had a battery. I could not set a limit. Always would charge to 100% if I let it.

The Audi e-tron I'm currently driving lets me set 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and 100%. I've used them all.

Lower charge levels mean less calendar loss. Charging to 100% and leaving it there for a long time leads to more calendar loss.

Physics and Chemistry has not been repealed. And while there are other chemistries that will not have this characteristic because of a different design, these different designs are not in wide use. Yet.

What I did was to not plug in the LEAF unless below 50%, and charge with a timer for long enough to add 30%. This would keep the SOC with my driving pattern to the range of 40% to 80% almost all the time. A workaround.

WetEV said:

Blame the EPA fir the first round of this. Blame Nissan for the response.

The original Nissan Leafs had a 80% charge setting and the EPA said if Nissan kept the 80% charge setting Nissan would have to average the range between 80% and 100% charge when advertising the range of the Leaf. Which made the Leaf look like it had less range vs other EVs with a similar capacity battery pack.

Nissan caved and removed the 80% charge setting so now all newer Leafs just charge to 100% and they can advertise the 100% range.

Now EVs have higher capacity packs, but Nissan hasn't ever pushed back and added the charge percentage slider like they should.

I use a combination of Leaf Spy Pro, Home assistant and a wifi Circuit breaker.
I set the upper limit and when reached power is turned off to the EVSE

image preview here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18pXWz8IGeniuBiz8QWDUD_RE4uNGjSgq/view?usp=sharing

I charge my 2019 leaf consistently at the same EVSE. That EVSE is level 2 and charges at about 18kW per hour. I determine how many hours of charging I need to reach 80% at that charging rate and set the car's charge timer accordingly.
For example, if my battery is at 62% SOC, charging for 1 hour at 18kW will bring it up to 80%. But you have to know the charging rate of the EVSE you use.

Level 2 charging is through the onboard charger, I don't know what the 2019 has for an onboard charger, but a 2015 is limited to 6Kw/hr. It doesn't matter what the charging station can provide, the onboard charger can't use more than 6.6 input.
Level 3 charging is a whole different matter, however that bypasses the internal charger. Is that what you are talking about?

What country are you in?

Back