2023 SV+ EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike2023

Does anyone have a functioning EVSE other than the Nissan portable that comes with the vehicle?

Unfortunately, I've discovered the hard way that ClipperCreek does not work properly. It will charge just fine, but when plugged in and not charging (car is 100% or the time is outside of its schedule), the EVSE will cycle the contactor every 2 seconds or so, and the car will cycle it's corresponding switch (don't know what it is called, but it's audible).

According to ClipperCreek support, this is a specific issue with the 2023 Leaf and that their products work fine up to 2022. Thankfully, they are letting me return the unit. I will reply to this post with some more details from them.

Does anyone use a Grizzl-E or any other L2 charger where it can be plugged in and idle/not charging with a problem?

Thanks,
mike2023

Is this happening only when a charge timer is set, or all of the time? There was a very similar issue in the Teens, but in that case it only happened when a timer was active.

LeftieBiker said:
Is this happening only when a charge timer is set, or all of the time? There was a very similar issue in the Teens, but in that case it only happened when a timer was active.

only when the car is not calling for a charge:
1. When it is at 100%
2. When it has an active timer, and the current time is not within its range

This was a similar topic in this forum:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=625401#p625401

Thank you.

More info from ClipperCreek:

>>>>
No worries, I appreciate the communication. No, all our stations use the same coding, which has basically been the same since 2010. The only variable that has changed is the coding the vehicles use for their features. All the other Leafs from the beginning up to the 2022 model work without issues.

To pull the curtain back a bit with a little more detail than the previous explanation, the pilot communication signal that the station and vehicle use change from various states to indicate what should be going on during the charging process. The basic states are: State A is nothing connected, State B is EV connected but not charging, State C is EV Connected and Charging. After a charge session is complete, the pilot signal will go from State C to State B, which is when we do a self-test to make sure everything is safe before the next session. The vehicle essentially goes into a “sleep” mode and starts a timer (in milliseconds), which is when we do the self-test. However, some vehicle coding doesn’t allow a large enough window and the self-test wakes the vehicle back up. The vehicle sees something is connected again, closes the contactor in anticipation to start the next sessions but sees it doesn’t need a charge and stops the sessions.

Unfortunately, the SAE J1772 standard doesn’t specify what the minimum time window should be and few EV chargers do a safety self-test after a session. We’ve had our self-test and the time length it takes since the beginning, but automakers have varied their end of the window. It doesn’t seem to follow a pattern, rhyme or reason since expanding the time window on their end doesn’t harm anything. It’s just an arbitrary number they decided to use. Just so happens that it conflicts with our coding.
<<<<

mike2023 said:
Does anyone have a functioning EVSE other than the Nissan portable that comes with the vehicle?
Are you trying to buy one from a member here or just looking for recommended replacements?

I've been using the Siemens VersiCharge for nearly 10 years, but I don't have a 2023 around to test with. It's odd that it only affects the 2023 and not the earlier models. I just checked on the price for my unit and was blown away by how expensive it is now. I thought it was expensive 10 years ago and should have come down in price, but it's nearly double it's original price now. :shock:

knightmb said:
mike2023 said:
Are you trying to buy one from a member here or just looking for recommended replacements?

I've been using the Siemens VersiCharge for nearly 10 years, but I don't have a 2023 around to test with. It's odd that it only affects the 2023 and not the earlier models. I just checked on the price for my unit and was blown away by how expensive it is now. I thought it was expensive 10 years ago and should have come down in price, but it's nearly double it's original price now. :shock:

Thank you. I'm just looking for a success story or two with this specific year/model ... :)

I may be looking to sell a ClipperCreek HCS-40 if they don't accept my return ... :(

I would try a L2 public charging station and see how that reacts. I have lots of L2 EVSEs but just older Leafs.

I'm trying to approve the post two up that is waiting for a Mod's approval, but I'm getting the dreaded "SQL Error." That is usually because of multiple nested quotes. If the OP can remove one set of quotes, it should fix that.

...and now it's there anyway. Never mind.

I have just installed a Grizzl-E GR1-14-24-P and it works just fine. Plugging into the '23 Leaf when outside of it's charge schedule, it will cycle once, then idle in a ready state. When the car calls for charge, it cycles on and charges away. Also, the "cycle" is -way- quieter than the ClipperCreek (without putting a meter on it, I'd say about a quarter loudness of the click sound, the ClipperCreek was loud!).

Also, the build quality of the Grizzl-E is, in my un-professional opinion, much better. The ClipperCreek as very light, quite large, all plastic, and the contactor cycling was very loud. In contrast the Grizzl-E is all metal, half the size, and when it cycles on/off it is a fairly quiet click. Also (maybe not apples to apples per the models I got) the Grizzl-E can handle multiple power levels by setting dip switches, which makes it (for me anyway) more future proof. All in all, I think I may have lucked out that the ClipperCreek didn't work with my model year Leaf... for less money, I believe we got a better product!

Cheers,
packet

I have the ChargePoint Home Flex installed at my home and it works just fine with my 2023 Leaf SV+.

Just to wrap this story up ... ClipperCreek gave me a full refund, which is really awesome because the unit had been installed and it was fully functional... it just didn't work as intended with my specific model year EV.

Total props to ClipperCreek, even tho I can't use their product, I think I'd feel very comfortable recommending them to others.

Cheers,
Mike

The Clipper Creek has a very heavy-duty contactor so it makes a little noise when it opens or closes. I have an HCS-40P at my workshop garage that worked well with my 2015 and works well with my 2019, but it has not been used with any newer cars.

I also have a 2023 LEAF SV+.
If you look in LEAFSpy with the Clipper Creek charger, you'll see your L1/L2 charging events climbing.
I charged at a friends house and had the exact same behavior described by OP. My LEAF picked up roughly 2500 L1/L2 charging cycles as a result.
I have used the MUSTART Travelmaster with good results and would recommend it overall as a cheap-ish versatile portable charger. I carry one in the car with an array of adapters (some from mustart, some equivalents i have made for different plugs).

Well, this is not what I was hoping to learn! Our ClipperCreek EVSE has worked flawlessly with our 2015 Leaf for years, but when we connected it with the timer to our brand-spanking new 2023 Leaf yesterday, we got the exact problem described by the OP. Unfortunately, since we've had this EVSE since 2018, I rather doubt they'll let us return it!

Back