CHAdeMO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrie

With the apparent phasing out of CHAdeMO connectors in favour of CCS in Europe and the US, where does that leave Leaf owners?

Barrie said:
With the apparent phasing out of CHAdeMO connectors in favour of CCS in Europe and the US, where does that leave Leaf owners?

Good question. It seems to depend upon where you want to drive. They are still installing CHAdeMO near us. See this. We took our Leaf Plus on a 800km round trip without too much difficulty. The frustrating part was Leafs lined up waiting for access to the one CHAdeMO connector while several CCS connectors hung unused. Crossing the border into Washington State is a non-starter for us as there are not enough CHAdeMO connectors on our preferred route to be useful.

CHAdeMO is a great system. Some people think it is superior to CCS. Since it originated overseas (Japan) I suspect not invented here syndrome. There may be licensing fees for manufacturers. Whatever, many suppliers are moving away from CHAdeMO.

I'd like to see a portable converter which is easier suggested than doable as CHAdeMO and CCS technologies are incompatible. There are 4 or 5 times as many Tesla charging stations as all others combined. I'd sure like a converter that would allow me to charge our Leaf at Tesla Super Stations. .

Evgo has been expanding their chademo DC stations bear us, and new chademo locations are still appearing throughout the midwest, but not as fast as CCS locations now.

We regularly make the 950KM drive between the Chicago area and Kansas with our Leaf Plus. As many stops now have multiple chademo locations with multiple chademo units, one confidence in being able to charge is pretty high for the trips.

I think chademo will continue to expand for another year or so then will flatten out...especially if the Leaf is stopped or moved to ccs in the US. Outlander and Lexus (in Europe) (and Xpeng G3) are also still chademo, so overall Chademo usage is actually still going up, not down as the media suggests.

My hope is that someone comes up with a Chademo to Tesla adapter as Tesla opens up their stations here in the US.

Barrie said:
I can't speak to Europe since I don't live there. Of DC FC providers in the US, other than Electrify America, who is phasing out CHAdeMO?

cwerdna said:
Barrie said:
I can't speak to Europe since I don't live there. Of DC FC providers in the US, other than Electrify America, who is phasing out CHAdeMO?

IDK of anyone else is doing so officially yet, but with the federal government only requiring CCS at the sites they're subsidizing going forward, and with only two car models, neither of which are big sellers, still using it here, I suspect other networks will just phase it out unofficially.

What I'm seeing is charging sites with multiple machines having several CCS but only one CHAdeMO connection. That's not universal but it looks to be the trend. There's a bit of self fulfilling prophesy in this. A relative wanted a Leaf but bought a Kona instead. The issue was/is CHAdeMO vs CCS.

Toby said:
What I'm seeing is charging sites with multiple machines having several CCS but only one CHAdeMO connection. That's not universal but it looks to be the trend. There's a bit of self fulfilling prophesy in this. A relative wanted a Leaf but bought a Kona instead. The issue was/is CHAdeMO vs CCS.

Are those non-EA sites? That was EA's policy before the gov. allowed them to dispense with CHAdeMO starting this year. Of course, EA had no desire to support a standard their corporate parent's cars didn't use, unless forced to.

It's been a while since I've been to a non-EA site locally, but all the ones I've seen so far have one each CCS and CHAdeMO connector per charger. OTOH the local Blink FC, which used (IIRR 2013 on) to only have a CHAdeMO connector, was recently replaced by an FC that had both, and Blink's been a marginal player for years. If they're spending money, the Fat Lady's warming up backstage.

GRA said:
Toby said:

Are those non-EA sites?

I'm in Canada. (BC) An example is this Electrify Canada site. 7 CCS, 1 CHAdeMO.

^^^Another VW subsidiary. IDK if the Canadian government allowed EC to stop installing CHAdeMO and still qualify for subsidies the way the US did. ISTR you've got a higher % of CHAdeMO cars in your fleet than we do (can anyone confirm?), so that may be a reason to keep installing them (or requiring them to be, if that's the case) in Canada for now.

By the way, in order to avoid future confusion, you might want to put your province/country and or city/town in your profile, so it displays when you post.

Electrify Canada is same co as Electrify America.

Down the street from me 3 mo tha ago EVGo replaced its one old ccs/Chademo stations. With its kind of now standard 4 station set up, each station with both handles. 2 of them can run both ccs and chademo at the same time.

There you go, that's due to the work of CHAdeMO saboteur Electrify America/Canada. VW of America owns Electrify America.

I've not seen any other non-Tesla DC FC major network in the US install such a skewed ratio of CHAdeMO vs. CCS plugs across most/all their sites.
GRA said:
By the way, in order to avoid future confusion, you might want to put your province/country and or city/town in your profile, so it displays when you post.
I asked for the field to be filled out 10 years ago (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9260), but it hasn't happened.

cwerdna said:
There you go, that's due to the work of CHAdeMO saboteur Electrify America/Canada. VW of America owns Electrify America.

I've not seen any other non-Tesla DC FC major network in the US install such a skewed ratio of CHAdeMO vs. CCS plugs across most/all their sites.

Of course not, as EA is the only one other than Tesla whose corporate overlords also build cars. Oh wait, Tesla doesn't have CHAdeMO either, nor does Rivian at their FC sites, which like Tesla Superchargers only serving Teslas in the past, are limited to use only by Rivians.

The number and % of CHAdeMO PEVs here is tiny and shrinking all the time*, and most of them are ill-suited to road trips in any case. So while it's too bad for the remaining owners, it would be silly here going forward to install comparable numbers of CCS/CHAdeMO, or even require any new ones. Besides, CHAdeMO cars in the US have the best (lowest) car to FC ratio of any of the current standards.*

cwerdna said:
GRA said:
I asked for the field to be filled out 10 years ago (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9260), but it hasn't happened.

Nor does it need to be mandatory; if someone wants to withhold their location that's their business, just as it is with whether or not they choose to provide their real name. But some people have simply overlooked the location option, so it doesn't hurt to mention they might want to consider it.

*https://evstatistics.com/2022/02/ev...-have-the-best-ev-to-charger-ratio-in-the-us/

Hi all, long time supporter, haven't been around much since we bought our 2018

Had a Chademo adventure Tuesday. We stopped in at https://www.plugshare.com/location/468936. There was a LEAF in the stall next to us also with the Chademo plugged in. After getting the car and charger in sync we checked in with the owner of the other LEAF. He said the Chademo plug was stuck in the car socket and he had called customer support 1/2 an hour ago and after several tries to talk him through a release procedure, they said they'd send a "charge team member" to help. We then discovered that our plug was also stuck in the car socket so we also called customer support. They repeated the talk through with us and said help was coming. We asked for an ETA and they couldn't say, but that the site they were coming from was about 2 1/2 hours away. Sure enough, about 2 hours laster the service tech showed up. Nice guy named Paul. He got out a flash light and held it in his hand. He was also holding a large wrench in the same hand. Several taps with the wrench on the Chademo plug and with us pressing the lock release button on our fob, the release button on the Chademo plug popped up and Paul could pull the Chademo plug free.

Perhaps the Chademo plugs in the field are getting tired and cranky.

This is kind of a necropost, but has anyone seen comments about a stuck Chademo plug?

From the looks of the Plugshare pics, it looks like (all?) the DC FCs were replaced with new ones in 2022. Could the CHAdeMO handles there really be that old?

A number of additional new Chademo locations have appeared at Hyundai/Kia dealers recently, including Greenbay (finally) and Lafayette In. Chademo may be dead, but I appreciate the expansion of this Zombie apocalypse DC coverage.

Now if only Tesla would also find a way for us to enjoy their chargers.

Many years ago when Kia's only BEV was the gen 1 Soul EV which came with CHAdeMO, I had stopped by a dealer who back then installed a dual-standard DC FCS (CCS1 + CHAdeMO). I guess they were forward thinking or someone decided to do that...

rdhauser said:
Perhaps the Chademo plugs in the field are getting tired and cranky.

Sounds more like a failed power supply for the solenoids. Both sides had the same problem. Unlikely that both plugs failed at the same time. There needs to be a power supply for the locking solenoids. If that supply was not functional, both sides might fail at the same time. Enough current to lock. Not enough to unlock.

Wetev, You would know more about that than I, certainly. The LEAF next door was on a completely different tower. Perhaps I didn't make that point clear. That site has been completely redone by EvGo since last summer, all right. The Charger plugs look really worn to me though. Lots of scratch marks and dents. I was wondering if EvGo scrounged for used parts. Not likely, but fun to speculate.

I also didn't mention that the field tech said he was "going to go to work on these things with some silicon". I assumed he was talking about the release button on the plug. If that's the case, maybe it was a mechanical problem rather than a solenoid.

So no one has heard of this happening elsewhere?

Back