Using an electric generator to recharge during work hours

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgott42

I have the original Nissan Leaf and currently get about 50-60 miles per charge (depending if I drive 50 mph or 65 mph). This barely gets me back and forth to work. However, during the (NY) winter the range drops about 20% and it cuts things REALLY close.
The company that I work for doesn't have a charging station, but was thinking of buying an electric generator to put IN the backseat of the car, and while I'm working open the window part way and connect it to the car charger port to charge. As adding 10 miles of charge would relieve A LOT of range anxiety, and if I can add more perhaps even allow me to put on the heat during my commute

for example this generator: https://us.ecoflow.com/products/delta-2-portable-power-station-1

What could I reasonably expect?
Any other concerns to consider?

TIA

Have you heard of Rube Goldberg? That's what your proposal reminds me of.
Your problem can only be solved by adding range to your car; it will only get worse as time goes on (and the battery degrades further).
Separately, those EcoFlow generators are nice, and I intend to get one (for my house) when we move. You can put the amount you would spend on the EcoFlow (with a decent amount of capacity) towards a battery pack upgrade for your car.

My car (very first model) cannot be upgraded. Currently new car prices are too high.
So if spending $1,000 can add enough miles for my commute I'm happy (if it extends the life of my car another 2-3 years then even better)
guess I want to know what size generator I need
and if any other concerns

Flyct said:
Ithat eco flow is rated at measly 1 kWh. Fully charged expect to get an additional 2-3 miles of range.

If I buy their Delta Max + 2 additional batteries (total = 6kWhr)
How much additional miles would that add to my Leaf when charging for 6 hours?
Total cost would be approx $3k (not cheap, but worth still cheaper than overpaying for a new car, and I can use this for the house during power outages, and/or sell it when I buy a new card

cgott42 said:
I have the original Nissan Leaf and currently get about 50-60 miles per charge (depending if I drive 50 mph or 65 mph). This barely gets me back and forth to work. However, during the (NY) winter the range drops about 20% and it cuts things REALLY close.
The company that I work for doesn't have a charging station, but was thinking of buying an electric generator to put IN the backseat of the car, and while I'm working open the window part way and connect it to the car charger port to charge. As adding 10 miles of charge would relieve A LOT of range anxiety, and if I can add more perhaps even allow me to put on the heat during my commute

for example this generator: https://us.ecoflow.com/products/delta-2-portable-power-station-1

What could I reasonably expect?
Any other concerns to consider?

TIA
They may not have a charging station, but do they have a 120V outlet? That's about the same amount of power that the ecoflow is going to provide.

cgott42 said:

TIA

Another idea, just use the ecoflow to run a heater in the Leaf instead and that will save you on the heating penalty to keep your range consistent.

knightmb said:
They may not have a charging station, but do they have a 120V outlet? That's about the same amount of power that the generator is going to provide, minus all the noise, gas, and setup fees. :)

Not that I can use - plus parking is far from the building

knightmb said:
Another idea, just use the ecoflow to run a heater in the Leaf instead and that will save you on the heating penalty to keep your range consistent.

Interesting idea. However if this is feasible, I'd like to add range to remove the range anxiety even during the summer months and allow me to drive 60-65 instead of 50mph

However if this is feasible, I'd like to add range to remove the range anxiety even during the summer months and allow me to drive 60-65 instead of 50mph

I'm sorry, but the amount of energy you'd need to replace what is lost going fast at highway speeds is about an order of magnitude higher than what that unit can store. Nubo's idea is a good one, although a 100AH LiFEPO4 battery and cheap 800 watt inverter would be less costly than the power bank.

Not to mention coversion losses along the way. Converting 12v to 120, then 120 to the Leaf with it's 300 watt penalty during charging. Means about half the power is loss along the way if charging at 120V @ 12 amps for example. :(

Not trying to gang up on your idea cgott42, but just trying to keep some realism on what to expect to avoid any future disappointment.

knightmb said:
Not trying to gang up on your idea cgott42, but just trying to keep some realism on what to expect to avoid any future disappointment.

No apologies needed. That's what I was hoping for
So what's the bottom line estimate -of how much miles (or % of my 2011 Nissan Leaf battery) would be added to my battery if I charge for 6 hours using the ecoflow Delta Max w/2 battery add ons (totally 6kWhr)?

cgott42 said:
knightmb said:

No apologies needed. That's what I was hoping for
So what's the bottom line estimate -of how much miles (or % of my 2011 Nissan Leaf battery) would be added to my battery if I charge for 6 hours using the ecoflow Delta Max w/2 battery add ons (totally 6kWhr)?
If you are charging for 6 hours @ 120V 12A, then 120 X 12 = 1440, - 300 watts for system, 1140 watts for 6 hours or 6.84 kWh of power. Now granted, if it is cold outside and cooling takes less energy, then you might be able to squeeze in more. Driving at the "Nissan" recommended average of 4 miles/kWh (which most can probably do better, just using this as a base), that would give you about 4 * 6.84 = 27.36 miles (44 km) of added range.
That is all napkin math, so it is just a guess, could be more or less depending on a lot of variables. :?

knightmb said:
If you are charging for 6 hours @ 120V 12A, then 120 X 12 = 1440, - 300 watts for system, 1140 watts for 6 hours or 6.84 kWh of power. Now granted, if it is cold outside and cooling takes less energy, then you might be able to squeeze in more. Driving at the "Nissan" recommended average of 4 miles/kWh (which most can probably do better, just using this as a base), that would give you about 4 * 6.84 = 27.36 miles (44 km) of added range.
That is all napkin math, so it is just a guess, could be more or less depending on a lot of variables. :?

Thanks, that would be AMAZING!! It would be like have a new car for approx. $3k and the generator could be used for double duty for the house during blackouts (and probably sell it after a few years for $1k). The $3k (or $2k) is definitely worth it for me to wait out the current car bubble and buy when the prices (new or used) would be AT LEAST $3k lower than current prices.

I really appreciate the help
Is there any other factors that I should consider. Is there any health/safety risks running the generator in the car with windows partially opened while I'm inside the office
Does the generator give off any unhealthy fumes or "rays" that could impact me when I get back into the car?

cgott42 said:
I really appreciate the help
Is there any other factors that I should consider. Is there any health/safety risks running the generator in the car with windows partially opened while I'm inside the office
Does the generator give off any unhealthy fumes or "rays" that could impact me when I get back into the car?

Since it is battery powered, no fumes or gas to worry about. It will have cooling fans, so unless it is really cold outside, you'll need to crack a window to allow the heat to escape during times of warm weather. Other than running the charge cable out the window and to the front of the Leaf, not much else to do or worry about.

knightmb said:
Since it is battery powered, no fumes or gas to worry about. It will have cooling fans, so unless it is really cold outside, you'll need to crack a window to allow the heat to escape during times of warm weather. Other than running the charge cable out the window and to the front of the Leaf, not much else to do or worry about.

THANKS, really excited and hopeful about this!

To correct the math a little:

If I read the literature correctly, the maximum battery size of the "generator" is 6 kWh. Allowing for 90% efficiency (probably a little less, actually), the most you would get to the car is 5.4 kWh. Assuming an actual "from the wall" efficiency for the car of 3.0 miles/kWh yields about 16 miles of range. This is actually better than I expected when I saw the first post.

Many inverters and portable generators have neutral isolated from ground. If that unit does not have neutral connected to ground, you will need to use a grounding adapter to make the portable Nissan EVSE function. An adapter can be made using a 120V extension cord repair plug and either a resistor or piece of wire to connect the neutral and ground terminals internally (instead of connecting to a cord).

How would the "math" (i.e. miles added) if I went with 2 Delta linked Pros (same 6 kWh) (instead of 3 linked Delta Max)
Please see their specs (at bottom of the page
each Delta Max 2000 - 2016Wh - 6 outlets, 2400W total (Surge 5000W)
each Delta Pro - 3600Wh - 5 outlets, 3600W total (Surge 7200W) (via a 30A AC outlet) https://us.ecoflow.com/products/delta-pro-portable-power-station

If would add approx $1k to the cost - so it would have to make a significant difference.
Though I do like that the Pro allows you to recharge it (ironically) with EV plugs. So I could leave it in the car full time, and when I go to work plug the Leaf into the Delta Pro to charge, and when I come home plug the Delta Pro into my home EV charger, and then when it's done, charge my car (whereas with the Delta Max I'd have to lug in (3) 50lb batteries each day to charge)

Back