2023 SV plus automatic emergency braking AEB

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf4al

Almost rear ended another vehicle today. I later realized that the AEB should have kicked in as explained in the manual. Didn’t hear any beeps, flashing warnings on the dash during the incident. Has anyone had this problem or may not have noticed that their AEB has already malfunctioned, that is, it’s not giving any collision protection. I am taking this to the dealer on Monday and will update this forum. Appreciate any comments.

Leaf4al said:
Almost rear ended another vehicle today. I later realized that the AEB should have kicked in as explained in the manual. Didn’t hear any beeps, flashing warnings on the dash during the incident. Has anyone had this problem or may not have noticed that their AEB has already malfunctioned, that is, it’s not giving any collision protection. I am taking this to the dealer on Monday and will update this forum. Appreciate any comments.

Provided you have not disabled it in the dash settings, sometimes it does kick in, just at the same time that you react so from a human perspective, it appears to have done nothing. I can vouch for mine having saved me from hitting (3) people over the last 2 years that just walked right out in front of me without any warning. 1 in the day time, 2 at night. If you really want to test it, just have someone get a big piece of cardboard and stand it up in your driveway and just drive into it, see what happens then. ;)

Thanks for the replies and advice. I have two other cars with collision avoidance systems. An ACURA and LEXUS. Both consistently provide audible and visual warnings if a risk of a forward collision with a vehicle or pedestrian is detected. All I want is to get warned at the very least. There are three dash indicators on the leaf that is supposed to light up. None of the three lit up. That is why I am disappointed that my leaf doesn't do this. I have an appointment on Monday with an authorized Nissan Leaf dealer to check on the system. I would rather do that than do stupid tests on my own. I might do more harm than good. By the way, the leaf's AEB with Pedestrian Detection system will be automatically turned on when the EV system is restarted. I never turn this system off since driving off the dealer lot.

I would like to report that Nissan dealer ran the diagnostics and found all systems related to AEB are working. A mechanic road tested it with me and was able to successfully test the alarms. I guess I have to accept the fact that my Leaf is just not like Acura and Lexus. Now I am really satisfied with this purchase. Now, if someone can recommend a good leafspy dongle.

LeftieBiker said:
How close did you get? You have to be REALLY, REALLY CLOSE to trigger the AEB, and most people react themselves before it kicks in.

I was never brave enough to test this but up until last week I never found that the Leaf had applied the brakes. I get the warning all the time (which drives my wife crazy) in trying to use regen as long as possible before applying the pedal. Crossing the entry/exit to a parking lot I was accelerating and a car shot into the entry right across my path. I was on the gas and next thing I knew the ABS had loudly kicked in and the tires squealed a bit and I stopped abruptly as the car passed me less than a foot from my bumper. No way I would have gotten to the brake to prevent a T bone into the back side of the SUV. I said to my wife "OK, it's tested and it saved us a definite crash."

I am a relatively new Leaf owner. I was driving a Prius prime until a truck totaled it. ... so I decided to go full electric
on a budget. A used 2021 leaf @ 14k mi seemed like the solution but I have some issues with the AEB system.

A few times the AEB system and or the lane keeper kicked in an scared me half to death. Once I got used to the
driver assist, I shut it off. It kicked in a couple of times when there was plenty of space and time. I was accelerating in traffic
and there was no need for the system to kick in. It could have caused an accident.

The AEB warning activated. It lit a flashing 2 car yellow warning light on front status panel. It flashed for a few minutes and shut off.
It started flashing again. I turned off the car at a traffic light and turned on the car again, warning light was gone. Another night the there was a big display that came up warning about a rear end collision when I was merging on the highway behind a truck. Last night it happened again and the warning kept flashing for a few minutes. I am wondering if the AEB system is the problem. Will a DTC code help?

I have been learning about leaf spy with a LE Link bluetooth device. I thought that it might give me some hints.
Leaf spy shows a bunch of B codes under Motor Control. When I looked the B coded up I think that they had something to do
with ICE problems. There was a posting on the net that I saw about random B codes that were nothing to worry about. The dongle might be the culprit?? ?There was a U1300 0128 Multi AV AV Comm Circuit AV-93 that "looks" right. I did try to clear the DTC with a battery disconnect. The codes disappeared but showed up almost immediately.

I'd like to determine if is makes sense to bring in the car to nissan but I don't want to waste my money
troubleshooting an intermittent problem.

How do you add a picture to this posting? I would include the leaf spy DTC picture but didn't see how to add a pic to this posting.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Glad you posted the question. I've always wondered about front collision avoidance using just radar instead of ultrasonics. My former prius, 2017, had both radar and sonic sensors seem to work well. Don't know why Nissan didn't in the front too. I'll have to try the cardboard box test... As for the Wi-Fi dongle, for LeafSpy, I've been using this one for the last two years with my 20 2SV plus.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6BBPH3J?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Almost rear ended another vehicle today. I later realized that the AEB should have kicked in as explained in the manual. Didn’t hear any beeps, flashing warnings on the dash during the incident. Has anyone had this problem or may not have noticed that their AEB has already malfunctioned, that is, it’s not giving any collision protection. I am taking this to the dealer on Monday and will update this forum. Appreciate any comments. If you love basketball games, you can join basket random and enjoy fun shooting moments.
If you can, try to recall any specific details about the near-miss incident, like the distance, relative speeds, and weather conditions. This information can be helpful for diagnosis.

Be advised. I believe there is a recall on the radar element in the front of the vehicle. I know these do go bad. The one on my 2019 had to be replaced.

Back