Leaf bricked - won’t start or charge.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KdunneNL

Hi folks, 2014 Leaf SL with 79% SOH.

Never had a hitch with this brilliant little car until two days ago when it would not start. Yellow car with exclamation point and yellow exclamation point in upper right hand. System starts, music plays, can open port, but car will not start or accept a charge. Replaced the 12v battery as that needed to be done anyway (other was fine but venting old) but that didn’t work.

Getting multiple DTC codes on spy leaf pro. No electric car techs in area.

I’m really at a loss and this is a major problem for me.

Any help would be very much appreciated by me and my family.

Hope this is ok to post here like this.

DTC codes showing:

>C118C 0109 ABS EV/HEV System BRC-126
>C1A6E 0109 BRAKE EV/HEV System BR-146
>C1A70 0109 BRAKE Brake Control System BR-160
>P3180 000B EV/HEV HV Battery System EVC-249
>P0A00 000B EV/HEV Coolant Temp Sensor EVC-123
>P31E1 000B EV/HEV HV System Interlock Error EVC-305
P0A0D 004E HV BATTERY HV Sys Interlock Err EVB-70
B2099 0008 IPDM E/R Ignition Relay Stuck OFF PCS-27

In other words, a dying 12 volt battery will produce a bunch of unrelated, usually not real error codes. Doing a hard reset as suggested above should remove the unreal codes, leaving any real ones, if any, to recur.

Clear codes with Leaf Spy, disconnect 12V battery for a few minutes, reconnect 12V battery, and clear codes again. Repeat this process at least 3 times before giving up. If something happens to disrupt CAN bus communication, control modules can lock up and it may take several battery disconnect and code clearing attempts to restore normal bus communication and car operation.

Stupid ques I know, but when you put a charge on the 12V battery w/ a 3A-6A charger, should you disconnect the positive terminal, the negative terminal, or both, to avoid damage to vehicle electronics.
Have been having prob (twice) of 2015 leaf "bricking" due to discharged 12V battery. First time replaced 12V, but second time was informed by Nissan service (tow + service bill) battery was fine and just need charging back. Use the steering wheel and seat hers a lot in winter. Was told prob of 12V running down in winter is "common, we see that a lot" in this year range.
So I'm thinking to just go out and charge the 12V every couple weeks in Winter, _before_ prob recurs.

You don't need to disconnect the 12 volt battery - just charge it when the car is Off. You may want to install an SAE hardwire pigtail on the battery and a nearby ground (don't use the battery's ground terminal), terminating it in the charge connector compartment so you can easily connect it. If you are leaving the car plugged in after charging ends, don't do that for long - it runs down the 12 volt battery. Also, flicking the wiper stalk for a moment once in a while while driving will cause the wipers to make one pass, which will also raise the 12 volt system voltage to about 14.2-14.4 for a minute, helping to keep the accessory battery charged.

OK thx. Got the trick re flicking the wipers a couple ties to recharge the 12V. N
Q1: Any other tricks that'll accomplish the same?

Q2: Which of the following run on the 12V (and thus deplete it)?
Passenger compartment heater? Front or rear defroster? Heater fan?
AC?
Seat heaters?
Steering wheel heater?

Q3 Pls tell me about AGM pigtail you mention: What's that and where can you buy one? U suggested getting it installed so available under the chargedoor; will Nissan service actually _do_ such a thing for you? (They seem pretty tightly bound to headquarters-designated procedures) .

If not, who would do it?

Also are chargers that plug into AGM pigtails (rather than cliamps on battery+ and ground) common? I'm ignorant of having seen one.

Thx once again

My 2013 Leaf 12V battery was too low to start the car yesterday so I charged it up OK. But it would not charge the traction battery when I plugged in my Level 2 home cable. It beeped once and that was all. Subsequent tries sometimes resulted in the in initial beep followed by the double beep but it still did not charge and the blue lights did not stay on.

I saw there were lots of error codes so I disconnected the 12V battery for 10-15 minutes, reconnected, and then cleared all the codes and then it would charge the traction battery fine.

I still don't know why the 12V was initially down. I had not driven the Leaf for almost three full days but that should not have resulted in a drained 12V. The battery is fairly new and when I had a similar problem a couple of months ago I got the battery checked at AutoZone and they just said it needed charging.

I will see if I can measure the12V current with everything supposedly off, but can't do that right now.

Sounds like my next battery should be an AGM type.

Has anyone else tried to charge with a L1 charger? It worked for me (Leaf2019) as it started charging and after disconnecting I could start the car as per usual. I had to recharge the 12V as it was drained overnight.

OK thx. Got the trick re flicking the wipers a couple ties to recharge the 12V. N
Q1: Any other tricks that'll accomplish the same?

Q2: Which of the following run on the 12V (and thus deplete it)?
Passenger compartment heater? Front or rear defroster? Heater fan?
AC?
Seat heaters?
Steering wheel heater?

Q3 Pls tell me about AGM pigtail you mention: What's that and where can you buy one? U suggested getting it installed so available under the chargedoor; will Nissan service actually _do_ such a thing for you? (They seem pretty tightly bound to headquarters-designated procedures) .

If not, who would do it?

Also are chargers that plug into AGM pigtails (rather than cliamps on battery+ and ground) common? I'm ignorant of having seen one.

Thx once again
I have the factory solar panel on the hatch of my 2015SL and have not had a problem with the 12v depleting, on my ICE (which sits unused for weeks at a time) I installed something similar to this:
Sunforce 58104 3.5 Watt 12 Volt Solar Battery Trickle Charger with OBD-II Connector https://a.co/d/4hQWpTF

I leave it connected to the OBD socket all the time and sit the little panel on the dash in the Center of the windshield. It has solved the dead battery issue on that car for me!

Back