2015 Leaf SV heating issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husketeer

Hi, bought my 2015 Leaf SV in June 22. Been great for me but my first winter is giving me issues! Not sure if car is working as intended or there is an issue!
I live in Calgary Alberta!
My commute to work is 50 kms each way, approx 45k mins to 1hr driving

Vehicle is stored outside on a parking pad!
This last week temps plummeted to -26c evening and -23 day most of the week.
I installed a L2 to charge the leaf from when I got home. It would charge to full on 3 to 4 hrs then kick in again to pre heat cab around 5am for a 6am departure!

Batt Temp meter would begin in the 2nd zone (Blue Zone) the. After 15 mins of driving move to the 3rd zone.
Heater seemed to be like Luke warm at best while driving.
But warmer when pre heating on 240v
Steering wheel heat was awesome, seat heater only works on lower setting which may be a fuse needs replacing I’m hoping?
Commute to and from work I’m sacrificing heat for range it seems, like toque, hood up etc!

Monday this week was horrendous snow conditions, lots of stop starting, queuing traffic, had heater on full and just made it the 50kms home! I’ve adjusted the fan speeds to lower now and had no issues on range, got home with 20% battery left most days!
I guess not having owned an EV in winter is it normal to be sacrificing heat like this or is it EV lyfe?

Welcome. If the heat is lukewarm when it's cold out, but gets hotter as the outside temps increase, then you may have a failed resistance (aka PTC) heater, and the heat pump is being forced to do all of the heating.

Husketeer said:
Monday this week was horrendous snow conditions, lots of stop starting, queuing traffic, had heater on full and just made it the 50kms home! I’ve adjusted the fan speeds to lower now and had no issues on range, got home with 20% battery left most days!
I guess not having owned an EV in winter is it normal to be sacrificing heat like this or is it EV lyfe?

Does your Leaf have the power screen that shows how much power the vehicle is using? You can use that to determine if you are having a heater problem.

If true (resistance heater failed), then the OP could have a bigger issue: not sure he can make that commute while running the heat in those conditions (e.g. resistance heater). I'm wondering if he included this calculation/assumption into his range estimates before buying (what I assume) is a 24 kWh Leaf?

Back