Headlight aiming screw loosened too far

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMF5000

I just bought a used 2016 leaf where the previous owner had fitted some aftermarket LEDs in place of the halogen bulbs. The beam pattern was all wrong (lenses not designed for the LEDs) so until I could look at a long-term solution I tried to adjust the beam horizontally to stop blinding oncoming drivers.

To do that, I used the usual method of a screwdriver on the metal gear. The right-hand headlamp is fine, but when adjusting the left I must have adjusted it down too far because now the adjustment gear turns with very little resistance and isn't actually adjusting the beam up or down any more. Is there a way to fix this?

Feels like I maybe loosened it all the way and I need to grab something internally so the screw can start working again. I managed to pull off the beam adjuster motor (just give it a quarter-turn and pull, like replacing a bulb) and it came out, so I can see the shaft of the screw that does the adjusting, and can access the hole through which it passes (where presumably some sort of nut must reside that interfaces with the adjuster screw).

Second question, are the factory LED headlights backwards-compatible with my leaf? If the only solution is to replace the whole assembly I'd want to take this opportunity to upgrade to proper LEDs.

Back