Use of B Mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveizdum

I have a 2015 Leaf SL. Lately, I’ve started switching from D mode into B mode as an alternative to braking in certain situations. For example, if I see see a red light a few hundred meters up the road, and no cars are behind me, I’ll switch into B Mode. I realize gentle braking can accomplish the same slow deceleration and battery recharge, but switching to B is a simple alternative to delicately modulating a brake pedal.

I’m curious if others are doing this, or if anyone knows of any downsides to this approach. In theory, my brakes might last longer, not that I need them too. (After 65000 miles, the rotors look barely used.) I haven’t noticed any change to efficiency, which is 4.8 miles per kWh.

Before someone asks about Eco mode, I don’t use it. I get 4.8 miles per kWh with or without it, and Eco makes driving less fun. I did experiment with switching to Eco as an alternative to braking, but B mode is more suitable.

Use B mode has been discussed quite a bit on various threads.

I use B mode 99% of the time. I try to feather the accelerator pedal when possible to approach stops at a reasonable deceleration. Downside...the brake light doesn't come on in my car. Other downside is variable to no brake response when the battery is high state of charge.

I use B mode almost all of the time. The 2011 did not have it, but I used it for nearly all of the time I had the 2015 and almost all of the time so far with the 2019. The 2015 had over 80,000 miles without issue and the 2019 has over 55,000 miles so far. Therefore, use whichever mode fits your driving characteristics best and don't worry about it.

I did not use it much during the first month or two of ownership because I wanted the friction brake pads to get more initial use to wear (break-in) to match the rotors.

On my 2013, I used B mode 99% of the time, for some pseudo one-pedal like driving. Before I traded it in at +75K miles, I had a shop check the pad and rotor wear, pads were at 50% (original factory pads) and the rotor was almost like new according to the shop (minus some rust over the years). They were very surprised to see a car on factory pads with that many miles. ;)

Since the Leaf is the first car I have driven which does not have actual gears, I like to toggle back and forth between coast, D and B on long downhills, mostly to keep busy. I wish the Leaf had a variable regen lever like some EVs do, that way I could always have the right amount of regen (not sure it would change efficiency but I could be really busy...)

daveizdum said:
I have a 2015 Leaf SL. Lately, I’ve started switching from D mode into B mode as an alternative to braking in certain situations. For example, if I see see a red light a few hundred meters up the road, and no cars are behind me, I’ll switch into B Mode.

I do the same. I also use it if something urgent appears and I have to slow quickly. B mode isn't a substitute for brakes but it can assist.

Since the LEAF is the first car I have driven which does not have actual gears

It does but they are fixed; you can't shift them. Yes, after many years with manual shift cars I find myself reflexively shifting into B mode as if it were a gear change.

I always use D-mode (no Eco), however I will use B-mode in places where I like engine-braking - kind of like downshifting on a manual transmission car when going downhill. Many long downhills in Norway you see...

I do like VW and Hyundai/Kia where you in an easy way can change the level of regeneration. People are different. Some like coasting and some like one-pedal-driving. When I test-drove Model 3, the fact that I couldn't adjust the regeneration level was one of the things I didn't like with that car.

daveizdum said:
I’m curious if others are doing this, or if anyone knows of any downsides to this approach. In theory, my brakes might last longer, not that I need them too. (After 65000 miles, the rotors look barely used.)

I use B mode a lot, but I try to switch things up and press the friction brake pedal as hard as possible from time to time. Usually before I even start my trip, or when I'm bored waiting at a stop light. Just making sure everything is still fully functional over there.

Moving parts that don't get exercised have a tendency to get stuck and fail. You never know when you might need those friction brakes in an emergency. :oops:

"switch things up and press the friction brake pedal as hard as possible from time to time"

Our 2014 Leaf has a feature for that. It's called "my wife."

Back