Though I have no car yet, I turned on my Blink so that it could update the firmware. This happened within an hour or two, not waiting for midnight as the manual warned it might, and it went to L2R.1.5A. The only change I saw was that it changed the date to November 6, 2011. (Maybe they know something about my car delivery that my dashboard doesn't, eh?
I was a bit surprised when I turned on the Blink for the first time that it, unlike nearly every other network device, was unable to automatically set date and time from an ntp server. No problem, I thought as I manually set them. But forcing an incorrect setting with a firmware update doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I see why most people set their Blink as a "dumb" EVSE and rely on the LEAF's own charge timers instead.
This also means that all the Blink's reports on cost of charging may be useless. And charging data transmitted to the EV Project might also be useless, unless the date/time errors remain constant, and they timestamp the network transmissions so that EV Project can calculate the actual dates and times based on the relative errors in the transmissions.
Sigh. But "free" was a very good price for the unit!
Besides setting the date/time wrong the other thing the firmware update did was to undo my screen calibration. This problem manifested as the unit seeming to lock up every time I went a couple of screens in any direction - as in attempting to adjust the date/time. Turning the Blink off/on "fixed" it temporarily. Also leaving it frozen "fixed" it, as after an hour (or maybe less) it would go back to the home screen; but still it was unable to do anything. I couldn't find a setting to recalibrate the screen because it would always lock up before I could explore for that screen.
The answer was to turn it on and watch and wait, wait, wait. It takes it maybe 5 minutes to boot up and I always walked away to come back later when it was ready. But just after it boots up it goes through the screen calibration screen, and if you aren't standing there waiting for it, you'll miss it - and miss your chance to fix it. Once I recalibrated the touch screen began working again.