Battery Health dropping during slow charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masuelma

Hi all, I'm dipping my toe in the water with EV vehicles and I'm looking to buy a 2015 LEAF 24 Acenta with 6Kw charger, done 45k miles for 9k. The advert showed a full 12 bars of health but the private seller has just said that he thinks that it's on the cusp of dropping down to 11 as when he charges with the 3 pin charger it drops to 11 bars but returns to 12 when he drives it.

Is he right? Should this be a concern? He says that he'll send some LeafSpy results this evening.

Welcome to the forum. Yes, it's quite possible that the capacity is right on the cusp between 12 and 11 bars, and is vacillating between them. The LeafSpy reading should show a SOH of about 85%. It's rare to find a seller this honest, frankly. Since you're shopping for a used Leaf, I'll link my used Leaf buying guide, in a minute.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=538030

Masuelma said:
Hi all, I'm dipping my toe in the water with EV vehicles and I'm looking to buy a 2015 LEAF 24 Acenta with 6Kw charger, done 45k miles for 9k. The advert showed a full 12 bars of health but the private seller has just said that he thinks that it's on the cusp of dropping down to 11 as when he charges with the 3 pin charger it drops to 11 bars but returns to 12 when he drives it.

Is he right? Should this be a concern? He says that he'll send some LeafSpy results this evening.

Well, the odds are in your favor

good climate
best 24 kwh battery

but depends on how the pack was treated. I know of over a dozen 2015 over 100,000 miles with 12 capacity bars intact including one who went to 160,000 before dropping his first then to 202,000 miles before dropping his 2nd. (he is approaching 215,000 now)

But things to avoid;

Full charging then not using it. If you need it, fine but if you think that charging fully means only having to charge twice a week, you need to rethink that. Lithium has longest life in the mid range SOC so keeping it in that area as much as possible should be your goal.

Avoid jackrabbiting. I know its hard especially for new EVers but its not good for the cells to pass that much current thru there. Save it for when you need it.

Back