Hole in the shield on the underside of my Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LHN

Hi everyone,

I have a 2019 SL+ with 10K miles--purchased used in March. Recently, it started making a flapping noise (intermittently) when driving about 34 mph or higher. I took it to the dealer and this is what they found!

https://imgur.com/a/Vn3zAll

Has anyone else ever experienced this? We don't drive off road or over rocks so I have no idea how this could have happened. The dealer is quoting me $600 for the repair: $515 for the part plus $85 for labor. I do not know how long it will take the part to arrive. While they say the car is okay to drive, the flapping noise is extremely disconcerting.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions on this issue.

looks to me like someone cut it then ripped it open....like a crack head looking for a converter to steel.

Are those scratches from a Sawzall on the side of the battery case? Might be an insurance claim?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Either that or the shield was damaged and the owner just cut off the hanging part.

I'm the owner and we (my husband or me) didn't cut anything off.

Several people have suggested that this looks like something cut with a Sawzall, but my husband just can't believe that would happen. The car is either in our driveway or parked on a busy street when someone is using it to go to work. We just can't imagine the scenario where someone would be crawling around under the car and cutting things off.

It is very, very strange!

Catalytic Converter thieves do this with a portable cut off saw on gasoline engine cars.

The dumbask didn't know it was an electric car.

nlspace said:
Catalytic Converter thieves do this with a portable cut off saw on gasoline engine cars.

The dumbask didn't know it was an electric car.
Just like a friends Hyundai that wasn't one of the many without an engine immobilizer, still didn't stop the "dumbask" from breaking out his back window, getting in the car and screwing up the steering wheel column, causing thousands of dollars of damage, for a car they just left! and this was in the middle of a very busy grocery store during in the middle of the day, when he had left the car for a total of about 45min. Granted it was in N. Minneapolis but still, the car wasn't even one of the ones that could be easily hotwired :(

I'd agree...that sure looks like a dumb ass with a battery powered sawzall looking for a converter to steal. If they had cut through the pack, ouch..and likely would have killed the bad guy too. 400 volts in there. Pretty hard to miss the cut marks on the tray at top left in your pic. I'd be calling your insurance company on this one. You could just duct tape the trailing edges (front and back) to the pack for now.

That shield just overlaps the one in front...so one cut and then you could just pull that piece off. It' s also about where a CAT would be on an ICE car exhaust. You can see the setup of the trays in my thread here: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=32082&start=10

Front to back...the cut on your panel is on the 2nd last panel:

040921_4.jpg

I just fixed up damage on my front aero panel setup (damaged by snow/ice) as the dealer cost for a replacement was pretty insane. So you could fix it using glass/epoxy as I did..but again, I would call your insurance company as this looks like theft/vandalism to me. Essentially I made a form for the missing corner (bottom right was the worst of it) using foam, and then taped it to the existing panel. Laid poly plastic over it (so the glass would not stick) and then using west system epoxy with glass to recreate the missing bits. The repair has been 100% :)

040921_3.jpg

The aero panels are made of the cheapest of materials...glass is miles stronger.

Back