Newbie here 3 wire to 4 adapter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BF4CM28

I just got my used Leaf and have a question I have 240 volt 3 wire all over my shop but no 14-50 4 wire outlets. Can I use a 4 wire to 3 wire adapter cord and be ok?

A LEAF EVSE needs only two 120V hots and a ground - neutral is unused. However, it sounds like you might have three phase power, so 208V across two phases, 120° apart. The stock EVSE won't work with that so you would either have to run 2 phase 240V supply or buy a third party EVSE.

As the OP said they "have 240 volt 3 wire" it probably wouldn't be 3-phase as you said, 3-phase 120v power results in 208v. I'm guessing they mean 2 hots and a ground commonly used in shops for higher power applications. If this is the case then YES, all you need is an outlet adapter and you'll be good as Alozzy said, EVSEs don't need a neutral, just 2 hots and a ground.
Note if using the factory EVSE that has a 14-50 plug, you'll need at least a 40a circuit as the OEM Leaf EVSE can draw close to 28a, which is too much for continuous charging on a 30a circuit, more than likely the breaker will overheat and trip if using a 30a breaker.
If you only have 30a circuits then I'd suggest purchasing an aftermarket 24a EVSE or an adjustable one that has a 24a setting.

Also remember that some EVSE's don't "like" to run on 208v: they need something >220v.
The OP didn't mention which one he had, but I think the (original) Nissan one had trouble with 208v.

Stanton said:
Also remember that some EVSE's don't "like" to run on 208v: they need something >220v.
The OP didn't mention which one he had, but I think the (original) Nissan one had trouble with 208v.
Actually, I haven't read they ever corrected that glaring mistake(IMO) so even new OEM L2 Leaf EVSEs will not work on a very common commercial(apartments, condos, commercial buildings) L2 power :(

Since they made the glaring mistake of providing a full, non-adjustable 30A charging cable, and showing it used with dryers, it isn't surprising that they also didn't make them capable of using 208 volts.

Back