Will Tesla rescue ChadeMo by opening Supercharger network to all????

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nlspace said:
Tesla is not going to open their network to everyone.

Sooooo, you’re disagreeing with the article that insideevs published? Care to share why you think this?

I think they will do they can use federal funds to expand their network and maybe finally get some recognition from the White House since they have been shunned by Pro union Biden.

watchdoc said:
nlspace said:
Tesla is not going to open their network to everyone.

Sooooo, you’re disagreeing with the article that insideevs published? Care to share why you think this?

I think they will do they can use federal funds to expand their network and maybe finally get some recognition from the White House since they have been shunned by Pro union Biden.

Musk likes the market advantage that Supercharger network gives Tesla.

Even in Europe, where forced by the EU to use the same connector, only some Supercharger locations are open to non-Tesla's As few as Tesla can manage to open.

If Tesla did open SC locations, it would likely be only new installs paid with Federal funding, and likely only CCS. CCS would be required, as that's the connector used by anyone other than Nissan and Tesla, and adding a third connector wouldn't get more funding and would add cost and complexity.

Oh, and any competing network is a threat to Total Tesla Domination. ZAPing (Zero Amp Charging), ie parking by Tesla's in Electrify American charging spots seems to be a fad in some places. They can't charge there, they don't even try. It's a protest against opening up Superchargers to other cars...

Tesla owners will raise hell if they have to wait in line for non-T cars to charge at "their" superchargers, especially if they had to pay extra for their car to get on the SC network.

Maybe EM will build other stations that could be used by everyone in order to get some of uncle sam's money, but he is getting too distracted with buying social networks... :lol:

So Biden's infrastructure EV requirements said if you want federal money and want to be part of the federal EV charging network. You have to be open to ALL EV's. Anyway, I guess we will see. The article said Tesla has applied for the funding so they must have something planned. I don't see how you can open your network to ALL EV's and exclude 200k Nissan Leafs.

If the goal is to build a Federal EV Charging Network, then paying Tesla to build it makes sense technically since they have the most experience and could build it quicker than anyone else, but it would not be done at the lowest cost.

Tesla wouldn't want to do it at a lowest bid such as most Federal contracts require, but if there is a set-aside funding provision then the contracts could be awarded in a money give-away to build a FEVCN.

Tesla would still keep their SC network separate, it would not be part of the FEVCN since there is no requirement for that.

watchdoc said:
So Biden's infrastructure EV requirements said if you want federal money and want to be part of the federal EV charging network. You have to be open to ALL EV's. Anyway, I guess we will see. The article said Tesla has applied for the funding so they must have something planned. I don't see how you can open your network to ALL EV's and exclude 200k Nissan Leafs.

Connectors for two different car manufactures are needed for funding. Tesla could do SC/Chademo, as long as Nissan keeps selling the LEAF. Nissan isn't going to sell the LEAF much longer.

No Chademo only. No Tesla only. Could be CCS only.

nlspace said:
If the goal is to build a Federal EV Charging Network, then paying Tesla to build it makes sense technically since they have the most experience and could build it quicker than anyone else, but it would not be done at the lowest cost.

Tesla wouldn't want to do it at a lowest bid such as most Federal contracts require, but if there is a set-aside funding provision then the contracts could be awarded in a money give-away to build a FEVCN.

Tesla would still keep their SC network separate, it would not be part of the FEVCN since there is no requirement for that.

This is done by States. The States need to make a plan, and apply for funding. They can contract with anyone as long as they meet all the requirements.

Oh, and supporting "Plug And Charge", which both Tesla and CCS support, is a requirement.

Is there any Chademo support for plug-and-charge?

WetEV said:
This is done by States. The States need to make a plan, and apply for funding. They can contract with anyone as long as they meet all the requirements.

Oh that's just great, now all the backwoods redneck states like alabama can get even more retarded.

Their idea of supporting EVs was to add a $250 tax to car tags for EV owners.

Gov. Kay Ivey "we won't be takin' no money from washinton"...well except to use the covid funds to build more prisons; and the poor people can't get no health insurance from medicaid expansion funds--she turned it down. Too bad the people didn't get to vote on those items.

And what is "Plug and Charge" ? Every EVSE i just plug it in and it charges, whether Level 1 or 2 J1772 or Chademo

nlspace said:
And what is "Plug and Charge" ? Every EVSE i just plug it in and it charges, whether Level 1 or 2 J1772 or Chademo

All free charging?

Plug and Charge uses CCS communication to ID your car, and bill you for the charge. No app, no card, no credit card needed.

Tesla has opened most of their Supercharger-network in Europe for other EVs now. It is perhaps a little easier in Europe since Tesla has adopted the European CCS-2 plug over here so no adapters are needed. Obviously, this doesn't really apply to Leaf or any other Chademo-equipped car, but going forward, I guess there will be CCS only from now on.

Back