Neighbor had 2011 LEAF OBC replaced

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

He spent a total of $2600 for the repair at the local Nissan dealership. The car stopped L2 charging at home. He didn't try it at any other sites or on a Chademo charger. He had it replaced without mentioning it to me; I would have helped him troubleshoot it a bit.

After the OBC replacement, the car charges okay now. He has the failed OBC in his garage (in the shipping crate) and asked me if anyone would want it before he discards it...Is there a common issue with these failures? Could it be repaired? Thanks.

A diode failure in the OBC is not uncommon for the 2011 and 2012 model years. There are threads on this forum. The one by DarrylDD is probably the most comprehensive.
This problem is fairly easy to diagnose and if the diode fails closed (shorted) there is a very inexpensive work around.

The first post of this thread describes the fix and has a link to Darryl’s report:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24696

Randy said:
Is there a common issue with these failures?
I believe that it has many of the same issues as the iMiEV On Board Charger, also made by Nichicon. Those being some small capacitors, the pre-charge resistors and relay, and to an extent the infamous pilot signal diode.

Could it be repaired?
By someone with the right skillset, very likely.

I wonder if @Nlspace has room on his shelves for one more charger...

i would definitely be interested in trying to fix this OBC, or could use it for parts on other repairs.

Back