Is a CAN bridge always needed to upgrade the battery ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanaka

Hello Folks,

I'm new here.... I did search but didn't find the answer to my question..

My 2013 AZE0 Leaf has a 24kwh battery from the factory. I plan on installing a 40kwh battery from a 2021 car into mine.

I understand that to do a DIY battery upgrade, a CAN bridge and battery pairing tool has to be used.

If the car is taken to a Nissan dealer to install the replacement battery, do they also have to use a CAN bridge or can they do the necessary programming using their dealer computer, without needing a CAN bridge ?

My understanding is that Nissan never do 24 to 40 KWh upgrades, but they somehow do 30 to 40 kWh upgrades without a CAN bridge. I assume that this is via firmware updates not available outside Nissan.

Nissan almost certainly won't install a battery pack that you supply. [ Edit: but it seems that there are exceptions, see next post. ]

In my case, Nissan have agreed to install and pair the battery that I supply, to my car.

I want to know if they too will need to install a CAN bridge or if they can do it purely by software without needing any additional hardware

Where are you located? I don't believe Nissan makes a CAN bridge and I doubt most dealers would use an aftermarket one. My guess is that they can do it with their CONSULT tool or your dealer doesn't understand what is needed.

goldbrick said:
Where are you located? I don't believe Nissan makes a CAN bridge and I doubt most dealers would use an aftermarket one. My guess is that they can do it with their CONSULT tool or your dealer doesn't understand what is needed.

Located in Sri Lanka.

Dealer says they have done like for like battery replacements in the past and are willing to help with my upgrade battery swap.

I'm unsure if I should buy a CAN bridge as well or if they can do the pairing with their consult tool

As far as I can recall, no one on these forums has ever had a Nissan dealership offer to swap a 24 kWh pack for a 40 kWh pack. They don't even do that for warranty replacement packs.

So, you'll need to get a definitive answer from the dealership. You might be the first person ever to get a pack upgrade done by Nissan, other than those with 30 kWh packs who get a replacement 40 kWh pack under the battery capacity warranty.

chanaka said:
I understand that to do a DIY battery upgrade, a CAN bridge and battery pairing tool has to be used.
This is definitely a DIY project and you absolutely need a CAN bridge; which one you choose has a big impact on how you do it. You can read about my experience upgrading a 24->40 kWh battery pack here (https://www.myeva.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf); I recommend Dala's CAN-bridge, which no longer requires any battery pairing codes, etc.

Back