"Leakage of Electricity"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silks

Hi All,

I've been charging my Leaf using a generic EV charger that came with the car from the previous owner. It worked without a hitch for 3 months but today started showing an error message. After 30-40 seconds of charging, it stops and flashes lights which translate to "Leakage of Electricity". The car still charges fine from commercial charging stations. Any tips on what to do? Can moisture have anything to do with it? Thanks in advance from a new Leaf owner and forum member.

Sounds like your EVSE has failed. I'd either look on somewhere like Craigslist for a used OEM Leaf EVSE or Amazon or a similar place for another new EVSE. Probably nothing you can do to fix your current EVSE.
Did you try your EVSE on another outlet/circuit? I guess that's something you could try.

^+1. I wouldn't try to fix the EVSE you have since the fact that it has already failed and the odd trouble code indicate that it might not be the best of units. In my town there are usually a few Nissan OEM EVSE units available on Craigslist for about $100 but there are tons of Leaf's here. You could try ebay or just go ahead and buy a new one. There are multiple threads here with informal reviews of many of them.

Thank you both! You already helped just by focusing on the charger itself. I'll conduct further experiments and research.

I personally have very good luck with off-brand Chinese-made EVSEs but many around here don't care for them and instead like the big name brands like ClipperCreek and Juicebox and others. You really can't go wrong with the rock-solid OEM Panasonic EVSE and as mentioned if you live in an area with an active Craigslist, they can often be found between $100-200. Note unless it's been modified the older Leaf OEM EVSEs will be 120v only whereas most of the cheaper Chinese-built EVSEs will be both 120v as well as 240v. Some are fixed amperages, often times 16a for the non-adjustable cheap ones which isn't so good for standard 120v charging as you really need a dedicated 20a circuit and good outlet at that so be aware of that, adjustable ones are nice as you can dial down the charging current depending on your outlet. The OEM EVSE will be 12a max and again 120v only. Newer Leafs will have a different EVSE that is also non-adjustable but will be 12a@ 120v and 30a @ 240v and have a standard 120v plug as well as a rather large 14-50 RV type plug for 240v use.

Back