Charging question on Leaf 2019

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rclarfield

Ok, total newbie for the Leaf. My wife has a 2019 Leaf and I had a 240V line installed . The issue is the 240 line is the big plug for like a dryer and the charger I bought her has a small adaptor. MEGEAR Skysword Level 1-2 EV Charger, 100-240V 16A 25FT Portable EVSE, NEMA 6-20 Plug with NEMA 5-15 A. Did I get her the wrong charger. Can someone let me know the best way to resolve this?

Thanks,
Robert

You should be able to just use a 6-20 to 6 - 30 (or whatever the designation for the 30A dryer outlet) adapter plug. As long as you aren't exceeding the 30A rating of the dryer circuit you should be fine. The EVSE is 16A at 240 volts, so that's good.

If you can return the EVSE, consider doing that. For not much more $ you can buy a portable L2 EVSE with a 14-30P and with adjustable amperage settings. 240v @ 24A would be perfect for an existing dryer 30A circuit.

Having said that, definitely do not buy a 32A EVSE that can't be adjusted to 24A.

The Zencar mentioned in my signature is just one example. That EVSE has been flawless for the last 5 years and provides 6 kW charging on my 30A 14-30R circuit.

rclarfield said:
I had a 240V line installed
What size circuit breaker is it on? 30A? 40A?

For future-proof, I would recommend a minimum of a 40A circuit (which you can use for an 80% continuous load; e.g., charge at 32A).

rclarfield said:
MEGEAR Skysword Level 1-2 EV Charger, 100-240V 16A 25FT Portable EVSE

As noted by alozzy, I would also suggest you return this EVSE and get another one. This is limited to 16A. If you have a 30A circuit, you want an EVSE that can be set to 24A (80% load on the 30A circuit). Doing so will let you charge the car 50% faster than this EVSE.

I'm showing you a NEMA 14-30 below, is this the receptacle that was installed ?

Be EXACT

71UDlfRmfSL._AC_SY879_.jpg

People buying EVSEs should be aware of the 30% federal tax credit and which EVSE are eligible. If the cost difference is small between a no-name Chinese whatever and a high quality brand after tax credit the choice should be easy. E.g., the Grizzl-E is a high quality EVSE with adjustable settings from 16 - 40 Amps that costs ~ $450 before credit, ~ $321 after tax credit

As an aside, using a 30 Amp circuit that is already in place makes fine sense but it is dumb to put in a 30 Amp (10 AWG) new circuit for EV charging unless the panel is ampacity limited. A new install really should be a minimum of 8 AWG and preferably 6 AWG unless there is a good reason to do otherwise. An 8 AGW wire would let the LEAF charge at its maximum of 6.6 kW

Sagebrush,
What does a person have the do to get the 30% tax credit?
Does the credit apply to EVSE bought and installed when buying a used car?
Thank you,

jakthree said:
What does a person have the do to get the 30% tax credit?
Does the credit apply to EVSE bought and installed when buying a used car?
To get the credit you needed to fill out IRS Form 8911 (Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit) when filing your taxes. The credit applied to the installation of an EVSE - it was not tied to the purchase of a car.

However, the EVSE credit expired on Dec 31, 2021. It has not (yet) been renewed by congress. At this moment, you can only get this credit for EVSEs installed through the end of 2021.

Back