2023 US market Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

2023 Nissan Leaf debuts a mild refresh at NY Auto Show
It gets a revised look, enhanced aero and a slimmed-down trim structure
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/04/12/2023-nissan-leaf-refresh-ny-auto-show-debut/

There are now only 40 kWh S trim and the presumably 62 kWh SV Plus.

40 kWh SV are gone as are S Plus and SL Plus.

I thought the above's mention of 60 kWh battery was a typo but https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/nissan-debuts-2023-leaf-featuring-revised-exterior-and-streamlined-model-lineup-on-sale-this-summer also indicates 60 kWh. Did they reduce the battery capacity or rating by 2 kWh?

Maybe efficiemcy let them keep the same range but reduce battery capacity? Maybe some tweaks to battery capacity as well? I wonder if the wheel changes remove the penalty that came with the 17" alloy rims.

cwerdna said:
I thought the above's mention of 60 kWh battery was a typo but https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/nissan-debuts-2023-leaf-featuring-revised-exterior-and-streamlined-model-lineup-on-sale-this-summer also indicates 60 kWh. Did they reduce the battery capacity or rating by 2 kWh?
If it's 60 kWh "usable" capacity, that would be an upgrade as the original 62 kWh only had 56 kWh "usable" in the 2020 advertising anyway. Maybe to avoid confusion they just want to advertise the usable capacity rather than what the cells are technically "rated" for under ideal lab conditions. It's also possible it's a typo on the press release and everyone is just copying from that. :lol:

I bet its a typo. I don't think they have changed anything in the mechanical & electrical design side. It does not make sense as they try to drive the cost down and keep the car relevant for a little longer.

I'm amazed that I actually agree w/Sage here... one wonders how long Leaf will "soldier on" in its current form and when it will be dropped or redesigned/revamped for the US market.

Someone on a Leaf group asked about CCS and well, if it were, Nissan would've mentioned it. But, https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/nissan-debuts-2023-leaf-featuring-revised-exterior-and-streamlined-model-lineup-on-sale-this-summer#?modal=photo-01146abab3c091834d97e7e32107355e confirms CHAdeMO.

Nissan needs to ship Ariya pronto and in quantity. So many other automakers w/BEVs in the US seem to be pulling way ahead of them now.

Even though I find Nissan corporate obnoxious and their dealerships all too often incompetent, a 40 kWh, CCS LEAF with a decent back-up camera/screen for under $20k after tax credit would make me think twice.

Would that be too much competition for the Ariya to handle ? I'm trying to come up with a reason why Nissan is pedaling circa 2018 EV tech. I thought about the company's financial woes (well deserved, by the way) preventing any R&D investment but CCS has already been developed for the Ariya.

Maybe their slowness is intentional so that they don't reach the 200K mark for US Federal tax credit to soon? It's to their advantage to sell/lease as many Ariyas as they can with the $7500 and $3750 tax credit.... but Ariya's not shipping in the US yet.

With the crazy prices of used cars these days I could probably replace my 2017 S with a 2023 S for about $5k out of pocket. Hmmmmm

goldbrick said:
With the crazy prices of used cars these days I could probably replace my 2017 S with a 2023 S for about $5k out of pocket. Hmmmmm

Before dealer mark-up, anyway

Not really digging the new front bumper and definitely not digging the wheels. Appears the bean counters are preparing for Leaf sales to fall through the floor once the Federal incentive runs out.

The articles posted about the 2023 MY do not appear to confirm if the trims available will include any additional packages one could order. If SV Plus will come standard with ProPilot and 360 Camera, will it also come with a Bose system as an option? And will the S lowest trim, have a Cold Weather Package option?

jdcbomb said:
The articles posted about the 2023 MY do not appear to confirm if the trims available will include any additional packages one could order. If SV Plus will come standard with ProPilot and 360 Camera, will it also come with a Bose system as an option? And will the S lowest trim, have a Cold Weather Package option?

I doubt they will have any options. I think they're trying to keep things as simple as can be and decrease the chance of shortages.

There are only a couple new Leafs listed in Chicago, and the few that appear get nabbed almost instantly. The only listings are those in Transit.

A friend of mine shopping for a new Plus is having to source from rural Illinois or distant Wisconsin.

Here in St. Louis there are very few if any Leafs available either new or used. We recently traded in our 2017 S on a 2022 S+. Our dealer got it from another dealer in Matoon IL. Didn't get a great deal on our trade-in or on the prices of the new car. We probably could have done a little better, but with our trade-in and the federal tax credit it cost almost exactly what we paid for our 2017. (Our 2017 was discounted $10K.) We have no state or other incentives in backwards Missouri. By the way, our used Leaf was put up for sale a couple of weeks after the dealer took possession and appears to have sold within a week. I believe that they put a new 12 volt battery in the car and new hubcaps. Our original hubcaps were a bit scratch up. Not sure they did anything else.

I guess what I am most excited about is that another year of Leaf sales will help maintain momentum for the planned Chademo stations. Yes it's slowing, but total stations are still going up. Peak Chademo is still a year away.

I think it looks great! I’m inspired by the zero-emissions-badge-no-more look, will apply to my 2019

Good to see it soldier on. I’m going on 2nd month with the Leaf and so far it’s up there as one of my favorite cars, reminds me of my 2013 Ford Focus, no frills, economical and great fun to drive.

2023 Nissan Leaf Hands-On Preview: Affordable EV Gets Cooler
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2022/04/2023-nissan-leaf-hands-on-preview-affordable-ev-gets-cooler.html

Back