Schumacher SC1455 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger (on sale)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondBeLeaf

Figured I'd share this with my fellow EVers. This is U.S. availability. I figure a spare is always worth having.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15717691-schumacher-sc1455-portable-ev-electric-vehicle-charger-149-free-shipping-napa?src=frontpage

Always be prepared before you drive. The hand-held ergonomic design of the SC1455 is comfortable to hold and the rubber cover on the top is helps keep out water and dirt. 28-feet cord is long enough to reach the driveway from the wall socket. Indoor installation for longer life span. Secure your charger with lighting / leakage / overcurrent / overvoltage protections. LED indicators help read the charging status and are easily visible in the dark.

Charging speed up to 3X faster than a Level 1 charger.
Offers both Level 1 and Level 2 charging options.
Universal connector works with any EV with a standard J1772 connector.
Erganomic Design
LED indicators to show charge status
Reliable Assurance

Not a bad deal considering it includes the adapter cable but note this needs a 20a 120v circuit, at 16a it would blow the breaker of a 15a circuit.
If you didn't need the adapter cable or could cheaply make one yourself then this one on amazon, also with free shipping is a bit less at $136.50 at time of posting and is also 16a only so the same caveat applies to using on a standard 15a circuit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QMVNC6G/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08QMVNC6G&pd_rd_w=pl1MM&pf_rd_p=d533dd31-f352-432f-87d0-ace6fec162b4&pd_rd_wg=t57dH&pf_rd_r=9PZ3AFPXZGZE76EQHG0Q&pd_rd_r=4cfddea2-a242-4e28-af98-e95ac3ff05d7&s=automotive&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyS1k1SFlNREFGNDdPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTExNjc3MjBYUDM1OEYzOFo2RCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTE3NDUyMkVCMVIzNEdBODlJUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
For the ability to use on a 15a circuit(adjustable from 8a-16a) also includes an adapter to use on both 240v and 120v plugs and a nice display I'd suggest this model, albeit more expensive at $175 but really a nice looking adjustable EVSE.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097R74R9X/?coliid=I3UV6SINLJFRKY&colid=2FOFVDA67L13W&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Note none of these including the OP is UL listed but built to international standards, of which I personally have never had a problem with, YMMV.

jjeff said:
Not a bad deal considering it includes the adapter cable but note this needs a 20a 120v circuit, at 16a it would blow the breaker of a 15a circuit.
If you didn't need the adapter cable or could cheaply make one yourself then this one on amazon, also with free shipping is a bit less at $136.50 at time of posting and is also 16a only so the same caveat applies to using on a standard 15a circuit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QMVNC6G/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08QMVNC6G&pd_rd_w=pl1MM&pf_rd_p=d533dd31-f352-432f-87d0-ace6fec162b4&pd_rd_wg=t57dH&pf_rd_r=9PZ3AFPXZGZE76EQHG0Q&pd_rd_r=4cfddea2-a242-4e28-af98-e95ac3ff05d7&s=automotive&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyS1k1SFlNREFGNDdPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTExNjc3MjBYUDM1OEYzOFo2RCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTE3NDUyMkVCMVIzNEdBODlJUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
For the ability to use on a 15a circuit(adjustable from 8a-16a) also includes an adapter to use on both 240v and 120v plugs and a nice display I'd suggest this model, albeit more expensive at $175 but really a nice looking adjustable EVSE.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097R74R9X/?coliid=I3UV6SINLJFRKY&colid=2FOFVDA67L13W&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Note none of these including the OP is UL listed but built to international standards, of which I personally have never had a problem with, YMMV.

I was looking at it as a nice spare. I hear that making it charge at the rate it claims means that you'd have to make sure that the two sources are not on the same circuit.

The blurb says it is compatible with a 5-15 receptacle. That is clearly wrong if it pulls 16 Amps and is not adjustable. As an emergency EVSE, this is a poor, and potentially dangerous, choice.

As a home choice, it could work if the home has a dedicated copper 14 AWG or thicker wire that is rated for 75C or 90C. Then the receptacle can be changed to 5-20 and a 20 Amp breaker installed if not already present.

BeyondBeLeaf said:
I hear that making it charge at the rate it claims means that you'd have to make sure that the two sources are not on the same circuit.

Uggh.
Translated, you 'heard' that you might be able to fry the wire before the breaker trips.

Don't do that

SageBrush said:
The blurb says it is compatible with a 5-15 receptacle. That is clearly wrong if it pulls 16 Amps and is not adjustable. As an emergency EVSE, this is a poor, and potentially dangerous, choice.

As a home choice, it could work if the home has a dedicated copper 14 AWG or thicker wire that is rated for 75C or 90C. Then the receptacle can be changed to 5-20 and a 20 Amp breaker installed if not already present.

you cannot exceed 15A, 20A, or 30A overcurrent protection for 14, 12, 10 gauge wire , respectively

Learjet said:
you cannot exceed 15A, 20A, or 30A overcurrent protection for 14, 12, 10 gauge wire , respectively

It varies by wire insulation. See NEC Table 310.16 (with additional exceptions that do not usually apply.) Since the devices are typically rated for 75C, the 75C column for wire type usually applies.

Unless it's NM-B cable, aka 'romex'. Then you need to use the 60C table.

I usually use this table https://www.cerrowire.com/products/resources/tables-calculators/ampacity-charts/

BeyondBeLeaf said:
I was looking at it as a nice spare. I hear that making it charge at the rate it claims means that you'd have to make sure that the two sources are not on the same circuit.
I'm not sure what you are asking but the one you linked in the OP is capable of 16a @ either 120v or 240v, either of which would require a 20a circuit and wiring and as 16a basically uses up everything the 20a circuit is capable of, it really should be the only thing on said circuit, well except for low draw devices like a clock or radio, not a heater or motorized device.
Now the one I linked that let you dial down the maximum output you could use with other things on the same circuit, as long as you don't exceed 12a for a 15a circuit or 16a for a 20a circuit. Did that answer your question?
As sagebrush said, I personally would not want to have that 16a EVSE as my only EVSE for emergencies as you'd be limiting yourself to 20a circuits, which while somewhat common in kitchens and garages aren't a guarantee.
Interesting, my second link in my previous post seems to be currently unavailable! I did find another one that would work but has less amperage settings, only 10a and 16a, which leaves a little on the table on a 15a circuit(2a) and maxes out a 20a circuit. It's about the same price, a little less and note the listing is a bit confusing but it's my belief it would charge at 16a @ 120v if you had a 20a circuit but confusingly says 16a is only for 240v use, I don't personally believe it though.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CX6YFPB/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?pd_rd_i=B08CX6YFPB&pd_rd_w=fbXdf&pf_rd_p=57cbdc41-b731-4e3d-aca7-49078b13a07b&pd_rd_wg=zXcCd&pf_rd_r=XT9NE7VV45X3R0JPXBP1&pd_rd_r=b785609c-994e-4146-9a49-4126cfaf2d97&s=electronics&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFGVk41UkdHU05RUEQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMjY4NjkzS0s5TlJZSUg2QUk2JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2ODEzNDMyTjNPTUc5NkNTRjFGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Heres another adjustable one but lacks the adapter cable for 120v use and does say 240v use only, but again I don't believe it. All the generic Chinese made EVSEs I've seen operate on 120v, whether they say it or not but as no reviews, no one has tired it and posted back yet. These listings seem to come and go, just like my first post, it was in stock when I posted it but within a day it seems to have sold out! This one "currently" says $169 but could change anytime from what I see on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/BST-BSSP-Portable-UL-Certified-Adjustable/dp/B09PBM6VGN/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=16a%2BEVSE&qid=1649623641&sr=8-36&th=1

SageBrush said:
Learjet said:

It varies by wire insulation. See NEC Table 310.16 (with additional exceptions that do not usually apply.) Since the devices are typically rated for 75C, the 75C column for wire type usually applies.

so basically what I said!

As Learjet said, 14 AWG is limited to 15 amperes, 12 AWG is limited to 20 amperes, and 10 AWG is limited to 30 amperes for overcurrent protection regardless of the wire temperature rating. If the wire is only rated for 60 degrees C, then there could be additional limitations in hot locations.

As others have already noted, the Schumacher SC1455 needs a 20-ampere circuit (either 120V or 240V) so it should come with NEMA 5-20P to 6-20R adapter instead of 5-15P. The 6-20P plug is appropriate for use at 240 volts.

I've caused some confusion ...

NM-B has 90C rated conductors for derating if needed, but the ampacity (and breaker) is per the 60C column in Table 310.16. LearJet's post is correct for NM-B.

Now, how about e.g. FMC with THHN conductors ? Is a higher ampacity allowed if the terminations are rated for 75C ?

SageBrush said:
Now, how about e.g. FMC with THHN conductors ? Is a higher ampacity allowed if the terminations are rated for 75C ?

It depends on the type of application and the wire size. See section 240.4.

tl;dr the answer is no except in some unusual circumstances or when using wires bigger than 10 AWG.

Thanks Goldbrick.

This entire business of NM-B having 90C conductors but ampacity based on 60C is buried in obscurity. The internet is chock full of speculation but no one seems to know for sure. I presume the few electricians that were around in 1984 have either retired or are not telling ;)

My personal guess is that the manufacturers were forced to upgrade the conductors to 90C to handle the heat of incandescent lights, but the original desire to keep the 60C rating for NM-B in walls with insulation continued to be valid so we ended up with a kludge.

Yep, I've noticed that too and even the pro electricians can't seem to agree on why NM-B is rated for 60C.

I've the heat from luminaries mentioned and also ideas about running wires in hot attics. Both reasons make sense to a layman like me but there was another person who seemed to have real info and what was said made a lot of sense at the time.

I'll take to a look to see if I can find it.

There's this: Non-metallic sheathed cable (NM-B) ampacity was limited to the 60°C column in the ampacity table in the 1980’s because of overheating occurring in luminaires installed in ceilings after thermal insulation was blown in over the conductors and fixtures in the 1970’s. The trapped heat from the luminaires caused heat damage to the 60°C NM cable jacket. As a result, a code change in the 1984 NEC required Nonmetallic-sheathed cables to be constructed with 90°C insulation but limited the overall cable ampacity to the 60°C column of the ampacity table.
https://www.electricallicenserenewal.com/Electrical-Continuing-Education-Courses/NEC-Content.php?sectionID=292.1

And also this: The letter "B" in NM-B cable (Romex) means that the conductors inside the nonmetallic sheath are rated for 90 degrees C. Art. 334.80 says we can use the 90 C. rating for ampacity correction or adjustment calculations, provided that final ampacity doesn't exceed that of a 60 C. conductor. Dennis brought up a question above that had confused me for years. Looking at Table 310.15 (B)(1), A conductor with a temperature rating of 60 C. (140 F.), can not be installed in an ambient of 60 C. (140 F.) It would have ZERO ampacity. I know I've been in attics here in Florida during the summer and I can assure you the temperature was 140 F. or above. But, by using the 90 C. column which is permissible for correction factors, a #12 conductor rated at 90 C. has an ampacity of 30 amperes. In an ambient temperature of 140 F. (attic, for example) Table 310.15 (B)(1) has us using a correction factor of .71
30 amperes x .71 = 21.3 derated ampacity Art. 334.80 states "the final calculated ampacity does not exceed that of a 60 C. (140 F.) rated conductor.
This is why we can install NM-B in an attic, but our OCPD can't exceed 20 amperes (#12 @ 60 C.)

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/ser-cable.2567227/#post-2747633

I'm not sure what is right but the rules are pretty simple to follow. :D

On closer look, it appears that the light fixture issue was addressed by increasing the conductor insulation from 60C to 90C. At this point, 'romex' changed from NM cable to NM-B cable to indicate that the conductors are rated for 90C.

See https://www.nema.org/docs/default-source/technical-document-library/usetypenm-bcableforwiringofresidentiallightingfixtures_rev10_12.pdf

I don't think this explains why NM-B is rated for 60C though and I still can't find the website that had the explanation that made the most sense to me...

Sagebrush, I edited my previous answer to be more precise. The rules change for conductors smaller or equal to 10 AWG and I forgot that fact. So the better answer to your question about THWN wire in conduit is 'it depends'.

This is Just another example of why any non-pro should ALWAYS pull a permit and get their work inspected.

goldbrick said:
I don't think this explains why NM-B is rated for 60C though and I still can't find the website that had the explanation that made the most sense to me...

My *guess* is a concern over poor heat dissipation from in-wall insulation.

Where did you find the rules for 10 AWG and smaller ?

Back