Leaf battery inversion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc33033

Hi all, I'm in the planning stages for a conversion which will utilise the components of my 2016 leaf. I want to keep the battery pack as is, but flip it over so it would sit upside down (the step down section would sit better in the back of my conversion vehicle and allow greater wheel articulation). Now, I understand that the Leaf would have been crash tested so I would expect that the fixings for the cells should hold things in place but is this a terrible idea? I'm making sure I can still access the cut out/fuse from underneath. Does anyone have any experience in mounting Leaf packs in any orientation other than stock?

There are pressure/vacuum relief valves near the top (in the stepped area) that would be on the bottom in your application so they may not function correctly. If they function when inverted, they could let water into the battery pack if you drive through water deep enough to reach them. Also, as you noted, the safety disconnect would be on the bottom and might need some protection from road debris.

Hi Gerry, thanks for the response. Good point about the breathers potentially allowing water in, I'll make sure that I double check their location in the final placement.

Back