Battery warranty replacement claim - how to begin?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmmarx

I am original owner of a 2017 leaf w a 30kwh battery with 76k miles. The battery only has 8 bars left on the battery capacity. I think this qualifies me for a battery warranty replacement? I’m not sure when the last bar dropped but man with the winter temps the car is barely usable for our daily driving needs.

I’ve called 2 local (Cincinnati) Nissan dealers and they’re no help. One said I needed a $350 battery health test (or something like this) and the other said their ‘special gloves’ to even touch a leaf battery are expired and they have no idea when they’ll get new gloves (is this for real or are they just whack jobs?).

Do I really have to pay $350 to the first dealer to get the report/test? I’m looking for guidance on who I should call and what I should be asking for to get this battery replaced!!!

The gloves are real, but are not needed for anything that doesn't involve working on the high voltage cables. The battery check is needed, as is a Battery Management System software update, but prices vary wildly on those. Actually, since the update is free, and it involves checking the battery, you should be able to get both for free, if you shop around. The BMS update will temporarily reset the capacity bars to 12, then the BMS will relearn the actual capacity. That may then settle on 9 or even 10 bars, but it sounds like you will qualify for a free 40kwh battery, even if it takes a few more months.

Yes, check all the dealerships you can. I found it's key to work with the one that is most Leaf savy when I had my battery replaced under warranty.
Here is one dealership list
https://www.nissanusa.com/parts-service/en/dealers/ohio/cincinnati

Why hasn't anyone suggested he go straight to the old Nissan Leaf "help" line to get started? That way he can skip the "dealer carousel" and put the onus on them to guide him on a replacement. At the end of the day it's a warranty repair, so it's in their best interests to get it done right (or they just have to do it again).
As an aside, I wouldn't pay any dealer anything to generate any sort of "report" in a warranty situation (I've been there and didn't pay a dime).

Stanton said:
Why hasn't anyone suggested he go straight to the old Nissan Leaf "help" line to get started? That way he can skip the "dealer carousel" and put the onus on them to guide him on a replacement.

I didn't know that's how it works. Thank you for the suggestion!

Any luck on whether that phone line works still?

I have a 2016 with 41k miles that I just noticed dropped to 8 bars. LeafSpy says the SOH is 65.96%.

I bought it used in 2019 and pretty much only use the charger it came with. I think I’ve used “public” chargers maybe 5-6 times. But the previous owner was a frequent fast charger user.

I’m 99% sure I did. I bought CPO from a Nissan Dealer in 2019.

I’ve only had it a few years, but it went in for a big software update of some sort at one point.

Pretty sure it was during the first year.

And yes, it’s an SL.

Do you have LeafSpy and a compatible dongle? If so, you can check the BMS firmware version.

Otherwise, the Nissan recall lookup website might show that info:

https://nna.secure.force.com/support/ContactUsNissan?recallLookup

I do have LeafSpy and a dongle, but I’m gonna be fully honest, I don’t know what most of it means. I usually only open app/pay attention to it when I’m getting near “empty”. What screen am I looking for?

I did also check Vin via the link provided (thank you!) and the page was blank besides model and vin listed. I assume that means it’s up to date but I was on my phone. I’ll check using a computer when I get back, just in case it’s a mobile browser thing.

I appreciate the help!

To check the firmware update, see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Eq93RniJ8

It was written for a 40kWh Leaf but the process is the same for a 30kWh Leaf. If the BMS firmware version starts with A or B it is the older, non-updated version. If it starts with C it is the updated version.

Just to confirm, the warranty is supposed to guarantee minimum 9 bars, right?

I took it in for regular maintenance stuff and had them check the battery so there’s be a record before I called the hotline.

They let me know I was still under warranty, and if it drops to 7 bring it in right away. I didn’t press him because if they don’t want to do it, I don’t want them to do it. But before I go calling hotline I want to double check I’m not misunderstanding.

Thanks.

I ended up speaking to a very helpful person from corporate hotline who ultimately needed an updated battery test on record. The first dealer didn’t actually run the test so I made appointment at different dealer. Test quote was $180.

Test results were sent to corporate the following business day and I got word three days later a battery replacement was approved and they’d call when parts arrive.

Not sure how long parts will take, but they said should only take a few days once they can start.

Didn’t have to pay the $180 since battery failed.

BUT … the big question. I haven’t asked them yet, but what have others experienced is their warranty on the new battery going forward? is it just the remainder of what original warranty was or does new battery come with new warranty?

I think the warranty is just the original term but new batteries seem to have improved. I guess you could call it 'continuous improvement' or something but I do believe that Nissan or their battery supplier is making continuous improvements in the design or more likely the processing of the batteries. It's a normal thing in any manufactured product IMHO and with battery tech still being quite new there is probably more room for improvement than in many areas.

krush40 said:
Test results were sent to corporate the following business day and I got word three days later a battery replacement was approved and they’d call when parts arrive.

For the record, I’m still waiting on parts.

Are you still waiting? I took mine in and was approved for a new battery. The dealer ordered a new battery in Aug and they still do not have it. They have called Nissan Corporate to make sure that the order is still valid, we are just waiting it seems. Not sure why.

It's very simple: battery modules/packs are in short supply. The pecking order for priority is (lowest priority first): modules/packs/cars. They are going to prioritize building/selling a new car over giving someone that pack for an existing vehicle. This is why I had to purchase my replacement module (weak cell) second hand.
It's anybody's guess when this situation will improve...but it's not any time soon.

Back