Charging Adapter for CCS?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafer

2021 Nissan Leaf SL Plus
I believe the charging ports are Chademo and J1772
We went to charge at an Electrify America station, they had one Chademo and 6 CCS (I believe that is the type of charger) stations
Someone in a Tesla had just taken the Chademo station and the CCS stations would not fit our car
Is there a way to get an adapter to use the CCS chargins stations as they seem more popular and available and there are very few J1172 charging stations and limited Chademo stations

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, while there are people working on this, there is not currently a Chademo to CCS adapter available. Why not? Because it isn't just a question of matching plugs. It's more like VHS and Beta VCRs: the "guts" of the two systems are different.

I edited your topic title to make it more specific, and I may merge the topic with an existing one eventually.

NissanLeafer said:
2021 Nissan Leaf SL Plus
I believe the charging ports are Chademo and J1772
We went to charge at an Electrify America station, they had one Chademo and 6 CCS (I believe that is the type of charger) stations
Someone in a Tesla had just taken the Chademo station and the CCS stations would not fit our car
You can thank VW of America owned Electrify America for spending minimal effort to "support" CHAdeMO. I've not known of any EA stations with more than 1 CHAdeMO handle. The worst ratio I can think of is 19 CCS vs. 1 CHAdeMO at 1 of their sites in Everett, WA: https://www.plugshare.com/location/163287.

At some point in the near future, new EA sites outside California will have 0 CHAdeMO handles, just like a certain person here wants (https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=614918#p614918).

cwerdna said:
At some point in the near future, new EA sites outside California will have 0 CHAdeMO handles,
11 more days
I have not read of any plans to remove CHAdeMO that is already built, but I would not count on the existing infrastructure being maintained.

Sage

I think you are right. On the Williamsburg Iowa plugshare location, there is a note now from EA saying "we'll let you know when/if we decide to fix this Chademo".

I just hope they maintain locations where there is no alternative, ex. Ogallala Nebraska, chunks of Utah, etc..

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sage

I think you are right. On the Williamsburg Iowa plugshare location, there is a note now from EA saying "we'll let you know when/if we decide to fix this Chademo".
These publicaly funded DCFC stations often do not include adequate maintenance provisions in the contract; or the installing company changes hands and the contractual language is nullified. This happens everywhere to every network that is not Tesla, but I expect the problem to be particularly acute with CHAdeMO. The powers to be just do not care because of the low utilization.

The best available way to deal with this is to contact them and express a strong desire to have them maintain & keep the Chademo stations, and to encourage others who use the sites to do so as well.

Is Nissan going to put one out? With the way things are headed and with even the '23 Leaf apparently keeping CHAdeMO this is going to become a bigger problem.

I wasn't able to charge at an EA station over the weekend that had a single CHAdeMO plug. There were 5 CCS plugs, but the CHA had a safety fault that couldn't be fixed by rebooting the station with Customer Service on the phone. They suggested trying another plug at first and then were like, "oh yeah, you can't."

Also, if Tesla ever gets around to opening their SuperChargers in the USA, I've only heard of them doing CCS. The Leaf charge port is close enough to use (I tested it over the weekend), but of course there's no way to plug it in. I only know of CHAdeMO to Tesla adapters, which are apparently no longer sold, but not the other way around.

Here's an article re the 2023 Leaf keeping the CHAdeMO port:

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/04/13/2023-nissan-leaf-refresh-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

Above are the charging ports for the 2023 LEAF. Notice anything new? Me neither, and that’s a HUGE problem.

CHAdeMO (the plug on the left) is dying. It’s fixing to be the Betamax of charging ports, while CCS wins. New Electrify America stations won’t come with a CHAdeMO plug. New federal funding for charging stations in the infrastructure bill doesn’t require a CHAdeMO plug. Existing CHAdeMO stations are still going to be around for a while, but when you’re driving a highway route and the only CHAdeMO plug within 50 miles goes down, you can’t just find another stall and get another shot at charging. Get a hotel room for the night and plug in Level 2.

While Tesla isn't on my short list of next cars, if they put out a Chademo-Tesla adapter, it would certainly move them up on my list significantly. It would likely sell my wife on it too.

DougWantsALeaf said:
While Tesla isn't on my short list of next cars, if they put out a Chademo-Tesla adapter,

It would make me question Tesla's sanity.
Unless it turned out that Nissan had sub-contracted Tesla for the R&D. $100M might be enough, but let's call it $1B to be on the safe side.

I think it could be done for 500K investment with a group in SE Asia and Tesla could endear itself to a fairly meaty EV friendly group. That said, there seems to be no lack of Tesla customers.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I think it could be done for 500K investment with a group in SE Asia and Tesla could endear itself to a fairly meaty EV friendly group. That said, there seems to be no lack of Tesla customers.

If 500k is true then write Nissan. That amount of money is a rounding error to them and might actually have a chance of realizing enough future sales from the gesture to make it worth their while.

Maybe

Back